Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Pulling off moves is not as consistent as I originally thought as well.
Even on Easy difficulty I burn through my 3 continues and everything gets reset.

This thing is just BEGGING to get hacked.

Also, Ninja Masters is actually a pretty cool title....had no idea.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Loving this system. My only hope is any later game release should have their own cases and manuals. If they don't think people wouldn't pay a lil extra for this then they're high. My own preferred look would be a case that looks lil a mini-version of the NGH cases we use for our home carts.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Also the joystick I'm disappointed in. I've read here that the joystick quality is pretty much on par with the original AES sticks. If that's the case, then the original AES sticks feel cheap too. Once there's a way to charge the handheld individually, I'll probably just pack up the dock and joystick and forget they ever existed.

Aside from that, the portable's great.

I returned mine Neo Geo X today, had trouble outputting from the dock via hdmi. Felt the same about the stick. I'm going to hold out for the handheld only package. I'm guessing it will be running every Neo Geo game by then.

geekabilly

Mickey's Coach
Got my system!
Am I doing something wrong? How come the L1 and L2 buttons on the system don't work when docked? I cant change the ratio!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
For what it's worth, yeah the video output isn't the best over HDMI to my TV, but it's far from horrible. Definitely playable and it works fine for me. If there is a hack in the future to improve it, I'd probably do it, but I'm not going to fret over it either.

The system charges fine over USB. I used a standard HTC wallplug to USB adapter and it's as happy as can be.

My dock is pretty solid. I'm an MVS guy. I've never touched a real home console, so what do I know. The thing feels fine to me, though. The open/close mechanism on mine is solid and it clicks closed and stays closed unlike some people were reporting.

Sticks feel good, but take some getting used to. They're not as good as my arcade cab, but then neither is the home sticks I've played at get-togethers. They feel fine to me, and I'm looking forward to using them on the PC as well for some emu fun.

Overall, everything works like it should and I'm very happy with the system. I can't wait to see what the hackers do with it in the future :)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
being 480p it's silly to control aspect ratio, you're gonna lose detail squishing it so that your screen, set to stretch, can make it 4:3 again

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
being 480p it's silly to control aspect ratio, you're gonna lose detail squishing it so that your screen, set to stretch, can make it 4:3 again
I just fiddle with the TV aspect ratios to squish it to 4:3. Looked pretty good and was just slightly cut off on the top/bottom. Overall looked nice, but stretched to 16:9 looks fine as well.

By the way, played some 2p League Bowling, World Heroes Perfect and Cyber Lip tonight. Cyber Lip is a blast in front of the TV with a buddy. The handheld aspect is much better than the docked system, but I really like it for the dock. As others have said, if I want portable Neo I could have just bought a PSP for less and had everything... This is a fun system for the Neo fans, though, and I think they've done us all justice for the asking price. I'm standing by my comment of I've spent a lot more on much worse Neo-Geo purchases in the past.

Last edited:

HitokiriRyu

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I have to agree with most people that the dock and joystick are lacking, but at least the portable itself works well and I have found a couple of pretty good games, like Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, Last Resort, and Ninja Master's, that I never would have played if it wasn't for this system. I'm sure once it's hacked the dock and joysticks will get better support and improved upon, if Tommo doesn't improve it first.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
I don't understand why people still goto gamestop. The customer service sucks. The employees suck. The games are more expensive. They are a collectors worst nightmare, they put price stickers on manuals and inserts. They sell used games as new and claim that it's just a open boxed game that was never played. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from these douchebags.

I only go here because they have pretty good trade-in values. I traded in a broken ps3 I bought for 15 bucks and traded in for 95 bucks which went towards my neo geo gold x. This is the only reason why I would even go here.

Other than that, they suck ass. Its only good if you kinda know someone that works there and can hook ya up with the trade ins.

But I pretty much stay away from it other than when they have great trade in specials.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I hear you. I avoid Gamestop, but I did trade in my broken launch PS2 when they were running a promotion for a brand new PS2 slim, only paid like $60 when they were $129.99 at the time. And yes, they knew it was broken.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I don't understand why people still goto gamestop. The customer service sucks. The employees suck. The games are more expensive. They are a collectors worst nightmare, they put price stickers on manuals and inserts. They sell used games as new and claim that it's just a open boxed game that was never played. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from these douchebags.

Old habits bro! Been going to gamestop, EB, babbages since I was a tot! Of course, it's been a good 5 years since I sold all my consoles and stopped buying games (non-neo games). I just prefer buying things from brick and mortar stores and so I walk into a gamestop expecting that magical land where I bought Grandia, and PSO as a wide eyed child and instead I get... well... gamestop... all my tears..

Ouch... Well, with the way this thread has turned, that may turn out to be the better one to own ;) Seems everyone loves it as a handheld.

And yeah, pretty much this, I only really wanted the handheld truth be told and I'll be happier waiting until a new firmware and a bunch of game cards are out there to grab.
The Gold bundle was just SO SEXY I couldn't restrain myself, so thanks gamestop bros, and bless your gross negligence!

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Since the verdict is that the dock tv output is worthless, I guess I'll wait until April for the portable only version and see if Tommo does good on its promise of more games to come.

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
Got mine today from Best Buy, F Best Buy. Thanks for basically shipping it in a plastic bag. Every box corner is really jacked.

Aside from that, I love the portable itself. Though I am disappointed in the dock. It feels cheap, and I honestly don't like the way the portable docks into it. Plus using composite and stereo audio cable, I get very low sound. I've got it plugged into my receiver where every other device is at a normal volume, but docked, this thing is super quiet. I'll see how it is with HDMI passing the audio, maybe it's better.

I also don't like that when docked, the output is forced 16:9 in the menu. That's OK cause when in game you can switch it with your TV to 4:3. But when you go back to the menu, it's now squished. Inconsistent. I would have preferred they design the menu as 4:3 and allow the handheld to stretch it. Then when it's docked, you could go either way with the TV's aspect.

Also the joystick I'm disappointed in. I've read here that the joystick quality is pretty much on par with the original AES sticks. If that's the case, then the original AES sticks feel cheap too. Once there's a way to charge the handheld individually, I'll probably just pack up the dock and joystick and forget they ever existed.

Aside from that, the portable's great.

Yes the original AES stick does feel cheap which is why I imeadiately bought two of the mass sticks with HAPP parts. Real arcade hardware is not the same as a micro switched stick however the buttons were always the worst part of the AES pack in. The sticks look good though and do the job better than a game pad.

garza2001

n00b

Sorry but watch your mouth I for one work at gamestop.... And im not a douchebag, what you dont understand is that it is the company that tells us we have to do it.. I for one am a collector and have opened my fair share of games... I dont like it but its our jobs.. I also sold many Neo Geo X gold since it came out yesterday.. And even passed on the wii u for it..

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Not necessarily. I had a lot of trouble with my 360 to my TV until I updated to better (not equating more expensive, mind you) and faster cables from monoprice. There were frame issues and problems especially while playing HD-DVD video back in the day. Likewise, most of the guys at monoprice seem to agree that not getting the right speed of cable will cause weirdness in your picture. It sure as hell won't hurt to drop $2 on a new cable from monoprice to see if it improves anything. If I'm having problems, I'll give it a shot and report to all if it makes any improvement.

There is no difference in image quality. There can't be. It's impossible.

The problem you describe sounds like a Category 1 cable running 1080p at a higher than standard frame rate... which may very well not be capable of handling 100% of the bandwidth throughput. In this case, you would essentially be using the wrong cable (i.e. 1.0 on 1.3 required devices). But, it's unequivocally impossible to improve image quality by using a "better" or even, "different" cable.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home...-cables-make-no-difference-the-absolute-proof
http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/hdmi-cable-speed

garza2001 said:
I also sold many Neo Geo X gold since it came out yesterday.. And even passed on the wii u for it..

Are you telling us that your Gamestop has these in stock for sale in the store? I suppose I don't understand how you sold many since it came out... or are you saying that you rang up people at the register that preordered it?

Last edited:
can people stop posting about stores , nobody cares about ebgames or toyrus at this point .Its very annoying having to go through pages of posts about stores.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
can people stop posting about stores , nobody cares about ebgames or toyrus at this point .Its very annoying having to go through pages of posts about stores.

To the contrary, a lot of people care about how the stores performed, especially with regard to future orders and products, and who delivered, who didn't, etc.

Want to know what people really don't care about? What you think about the product's facebook page...
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...e-announced!&p=3459148&viewfull=1#post3459148

garza2001

n00b
Are you telling us that your Gamestop has these in stock for sale in the store? I suppose I don't understand how you sold many since it came out... or are you saying that you rang up people at the register that preordered it?

If you go into a gamestop we do a thing called web in store where we can sell you it in stores and they ship to your house..free... Cause its ordered from the gamestop website only you pay in the store...

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
To NGX owners who have logged serious hours on an original old style stick, how does the NGX version stack up?

To the contrary, a lot of people care about how the stores performed, especially with regard to future orders and products, and who delivered, who didn't, etc.

Want to know what people really don't care about? What you think about the product's facebook page...
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...e-announced!&p=3459148&viewfull=1#post3459148

great detective work Sherlock , the title of this thread is Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!. Therefor I think we should try and keep it about the system and not pages of " Sorry but watch your mouth I for one work at gamestop "

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I just hooked my X up to my XP computer and the computer recognized the filesystem. FYI, only 1 file on the unit: sys_update_file @ 156 megs.

Hopefully someone will figure out how to hack this file to verify what's in it.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
great detective work Sherlock , the title of this thread is Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!. Therefor I think we should try and keep it about the system and not pages of " Sorry but watch your mouth I for one work at gamestop "

You said, "nobody cares about ebgames or toysrus" I'm saying that you're fucking wrong about that. Probably not a good idea to come in this month and try to tell users what they can or cannot post in this thread.

garza2001 said:
If you go into a gamestop we do a thing called web in store where we can sell you it in stores and they ship to your house..free... Cause its ordered from the gamestop website only you pay in the store...

Ok makes sense. For awhile Gamestop preorders were out. I had called one and they couldn't get any, nor were they on the website (handheld only). So it didn't make sense to me how you could sell them since release. But, now I see they've restored it.

As far as douchebag employees, yes there are exceptions to every rule. Most broad sweeping generalizations are wrong. But the person that said this is mostly right, and if you are a collector that works at Gamestop, then you should know this is absolutely true. If you think not, well, you know what they say about not knowing who the sucker is at the poker table...

topher said:
I just hooked my X up to my XP computer and the computer recognized the filesystem. FYI, only 1 file on the unit: sys_update_file @ 156 megs.

Hopefully someone will figure out how to hack this file to verify what's in it.

hmm, is your XP box on FAT32 or NTFS?

Last edited: