Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

TrazLord

n00b
As promised more impressions...

The handheld is amazing. It really is. Fantastic handheld. The clicky stick is just sooooo comfortable as well as the buttons. The picture quality on the LCD is phenomenal, everything is lush and fantastic. I wish that the screen could be turned brighter as it was kinda difficult to see out in the sun today but it's good enough in a reasonably lit environment, not a biggie. Despite what some people have stated the OS seems to be fine by me, I think it's responsive enough, didn't feel like it was laggy.

As stated previously about connecting to the TV - The picture quality through HDMI is beyond horrific. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being perfect picture quality and 1 being absolute stink horrible, I give it a 2.5 - no joke, it's that bad. Clipping, screen tearing, horrific color palette - you name it, it's here. I have been spoiled by the image quality of my Analogue CMVS through component I suppose (which looks absolutely fantastic).

I really hope there is a charging solution other than connecting the NGX to the dock all the time. I don't really care that much for having to put this thing in the dock all the time. I don't mind the dock when I want to connect to the TV (which after seeing the image quality is going to be very rare) but not for charging all the time. I don't want to have to lug that dock around when I travel. Just a simple AC adapter would be nice.

If you want your Neo Geo on the go the NGX is a pretty solid solution. Forget about it being a AES, MVS, or CMVS replacement however due to the horrific image quality through HDMI. I shudder to even think about how it looks thru composite if HDMI looks that bad. Ugh.

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Anyone tried holding different button combinations down and powering the device up? Potentially even while plugged into a PC via USB? Hoping to figure out a combination that puts the device into any sort of recovery mode. That's going to be the first step in breaking this thing open and getting access to the low level OS of the handheld. We get there, we'll be playing ROMS in no time.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Trazlord:

Damn, what you are describing is the same thing I'm finding through the AV connector, I just assumed it was crap AV.

Nerdy

Kabuki Klasher
In regards to the picture quality via HMDI, i see mixed feelings, some people say it is okay, other say its horrible.

It might depend on the tv maybe ?

Because from all the videos i have been checking out, i dont see any "major" problems with that

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
In regards to the picture quality via HMDI, i see mixed feelings, some people say it is okay, other say its horrible.

It might depend on the tv maybe ?

Because from all the videos i have been checking out, i dont see any "major" problems with that

It might be a shit cable too. If the cable speed is to low you're going to see problems with the picture.

Iinfinite

n00b
The poor quality video via HDMI maybe a scaling issue. I will try running the HDMI through my Yamaha RXA2010 AV receiver when I get my unit from game stop. (HQV Vida VHD1900 video processing chip)

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
wow I'm dissapointed to hear about the poor image quality via hd and composite. The main reason I wanted this was to take over to my boring ass in-laws house so I had something to play on their TV.

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Mine came in today:

did a quick video unboxing/review - since i havent seen any decent ones out there i figured id make one

short review of the system: its impressive. I really love the build quality of the unit itself. The control deck and stick are not as great. The deck especially is kinda flimsy and feels like cheap plastic.

Also the HDMI output fucking sucks. theres nothing else to say - its really terrible. I don't know why but not even a CRT or a scanline generator can fix it imo. very disappointing.

now the good part - the image quality of the handheld is superb. Really great quality. Unsure about the battery life and i know about the save issue.

The stick is very responsive and feels great too. Overall is a very solid piece of hardware. If you want a handheld on the go, then i would say buy. If you are more interested in an AES replacement in your living room then i would avoid - go CMVS.

7/10 is what id rate it. Points lost for the issues mentioned above. I will still hoard any games that come out for it. And ill probably pick up another stick for it.

Perfect review for me Lantus. I too have an LG 1080p panel so I assume our image output results would be very similar. At this point, I'd only be buying the X for the handheld considering I have a cab in the garage and a decent CMVS. Thanks!

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
The poor quality video via HDMI maybe a scaling issue. I will try running the HDMI through my Yamaha RXA2010 AV receiver when I get my unit from game stop. (HQV Vida VHD1900 video processing chip)

Yeah my thought as well... also the quality of flatpanels people are using maybe.

When my units come in on Thursday I'd like to try:

1. Composite to Sony PVM CRT

2. NGX set to 4:3 with a known "good" HDMI cable to DVDO VP50 standalone video processor to a known "good" HDTV make/model

3. NGX set to 4:3 with a known "good" HDMI cable to DVDO Edge standalone video processor to a known "good" HDTV make/model

4. NGX HDMI --> Component --> Sony PVM CRT in RGB

Last edited:

Nerdy

Kabuki Klasher
Because i have checked alot of videos already and the picture quality seems "Ok" not the best because we have CMVS's and Composite AES so the image on those will be 5*

But if i have a decent to "okay" image quality, i dont mind really.

Jbrodack

n00b
Is there a consensus that tv out in general doesn't work well with this and looks bad or is it just some people having issues? More or less issues with composite or hdmi? Everyone seems pleased with the joysticks so it would be a shame is playing on tv didn't work well.

FUUMA

Marked Wolf
With HDMI on my Sony 24 3D Display it looks almost as good as the emus running off my Coinops XBOX in 720P. I'm loving this thing. Crazy to think I didnt flinch about dropping 200 on this instead of a WiiU in 2012. SNK forever, BTW mine is streched almost full screen with no way to change aspect ratio when connected.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Just got mine...even the handheld feels light and flimsy...with regards to the materials used. Nice fit an finish on the unit overall though. Controls are solid though....its charging now but I tried SS2 and I could pull off the backwards 180, forward + button teleports pretty consistently.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Someone needs to check out the ad card. Pcs may not recognize it or say it needs to be formatted but the files aren't invisible.

Fire up like FlashFXP and open it up to see if it can view the contents.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yeah my thought as well... also the quality of flatpanels people are using maybe.

2. NGX set to 4:3 with a known "good" HDMI cable to DVDO VP50 standalone video processor to a known "good" HDTV make/model

3. NGX set to 4:3 with a known "good" HDMI cable to DVDO Edge standalone video processor to a known "good" HDTV make/model

I don't think all the processing in the world is going to clean it up.

slerch666

updyke,

Just remember, the HDMI on the NGX is MINI. I was going to try different cable, but have no MINI HDMI connectors.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I don't think all the processing in the world is going to clean it up.

Most likely not, but if I've got the gear lying around would be a fun experiment.

Whatever they're doing to re-scale the original resolution internally must be crap I assume... so whatever comes out of the outputs is a lost cause. Might be able to remedy with a firmware update... but could potentially cause the emulation speed to suffer.

Yeah I've got a couple Belkin mini to standard HDMI cables laying around in a drawer. Not the best, but I'll try a monoprice HDMI to component box.

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
maybe in 2003 but this is 2012 - emulation speed with 3x or 4x scaled images shouldn't suffer at all. In theory a firmware update could improve the image though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Monoprice HDMI to Component box doesn't work, at least with a SDTV. It would probably work fine on a HDTV with no HDMI.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Has anyone tried the HDMI connection directly to the handheld without the dock? Just wonder if the poor TV output could be how the dock handles it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Not HDMI, but I did try the composite cable directly from the handheld. No difference.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
maybe in 2003 but this is 2012 - emulation speed with 3x or 4x scaled images shouldn't suffer at all. In theory a firmware update could improve the image though.

Depends on how cheap they went with the hardware right? There are no specs on the chip/architecture that I've seen.

Monoprice HDMI to Component box doesn't work, at least with a SDTV. It would probably work fine on a HDTV with no HDMI.

Doesn't work on a PVM? Is it a resolution issue? Encryption?