Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

Did anyone have the balls to disassembly the handheld yet? I wanna know if the battery is soldered to the board and if it can be easily changed /upgraded.

Also has anyone tried putting a neogeo rom on a sd card and seeing if it recognizes it ?

Last edited:

slerch666

updyke,
By the way.. Anyone who was burned by Toys R Us canceling their orders - contact toysrus1@cust-help-us.com
and bitch at them for a free $50 gift code to use online.

Ordering another stick from them with my $50 code.. It'll probably get canceled again without notification. Repeat steps 1 & 2, stack $50 codes until you can buy every last Neo-Geo item! :P

That's funny. I bitched. And I bitched. And I bitched.

I got nothing. Fuck them.

slerch666

updyke,
Does the handheld only charge when you have the dock turned on? There are no lights on the handheld when the dock is off.

Also, anyone know of a charger that will work on the handheld directly?
Rumor is that micro USB phone chargers will work.

Considering it's plastered all over the screen protector, in the manual and in the videos not to charge it outside of the dock, I don't have the balls to plug it in. I don't want a $200 brick at this point.

But others have stated elsewhere that it works, so there you go.

slerch666

updyke,
I'm having problems with mine; HDMI when plugged into the portable works (but will frequently wig out if the cable is nudged), but doesn't work through the dock. Power works and charges the battery, and it gives me the nasty warning if I turn on the portable itself, but nothing over HDMI when used docked no matter what I try. Anyone have anything similar or any tips?

Mine is working just fine. Haven't tried connecting the system directly via HDMI - I've only connected it via the dock.

slerch666

updyke,
This happen to anyone else?
Neo-GeoX_Damage.jpg

The bottom of the box looks like it was damaged while being assembled. One corner is correct while the other is not and has an extra "flap".
Probably just being picky, but the rest of the box is seriously scuffed like they were sliding them on a conveyor belt or something.

Just curious if this is from Amazon or if the other retailers have this type of box wear as well.

In happier news. today 12/18/12 marks the 22 year anniversary of my first ever Neo-Geo purchase.. The almighty NEO-GEO Advanced Entertainment System!
Here's proof: http://www.videogameobsession.com/n..._Gold_System_Sales_Receipt_12-18-1990-vgo.jpg

And a chubbier version of my younger self opening it on Xmas morning 1990
Neo-Geo_Unwrapping_Xmas_1990.jpg

One of these days I might even upload the video.. :)

No box damage for me, other than a corner dig where Gamestop put the system in a super tight cardboard box that would transfer any dings from the outside cardboard box to the Neo Geo X box. Fuckers.

And man... wish I could have gotten a Neo for Xmas back in the 90s! My parents never would have gone for that shit. Ever.

slerch666

updyke,
Pretty disappointed to hear the reports of the HDMI output not, well... outputting properly: forced 16:9 and overscan issues. Don't really fancy composite, as it's shit tbh.

This was going to be my 'AES' for the living room, with my actual AES already being hooked up to my CRT in my games room. I also, had no real plans to use this primarily as a handheld. Just on occasion.

Might just not open it and just sell it on, which is a shame, but hey...

16x9 is NOT forced via HDMI or composite. I have it connected to my TV and played for a while on it. No stretching. The only stretching seen would be from someone's TV set to do "fill my HD TV" mode.

Surfsmurf

n00b
Pretty disappointed to hear the reports of the HDMI output not, well... outputting properly: forced 16:9 and overscan issues. Don't really fancy composite, as it's shit tbh.

Dunno about the quality but the overscan is most likely in the TV set. I had to hunt for quite a while until I found the setting in my Sony when using it together with my computer.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Does anyone know of a good cd/dvd size case that will hold an sd card? I've been trying to find some to make custom cases, but with no luck besides some bulk buy sites.

slerch666

updyke,
Also has anyone tried putting a neogeo rom on a sd card and seeing if it recognizes it ?

Yes. And No it doesn't.

I put the ZIP file on the card, doesn't read it. I put the unzipped files on the card, doesn't read it.

There's something on the Ninja Masters card that tells the system it is a Neo Geo X card, because as soon as you put NM into the slot, it tells you it's a game. When you put a regular SD card in, it doesn't recognize it as a Neo Game card, so it doesn't let you open it.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Picked up mine yesterday from a local EB Games (since that’s pretty much the only place to order it in Canada). Was surprised that they already had it on hand on Monday (but refused to sell it until the proper launch day).

When I got there, I was even more surprised to see that they had a 2nd box. If there’s anyone in the Montreal area reading this and want one, PM me and I’ll let you know which EB Games it was. The clerk confirmed I was the only person that pre-ordered. I’m assuming someone figured that if they had one pre-order, maybe someone else would be interested too. So I was lucky enough to be able to pick the one with the best condition box :). Once bought, I went in my car, checking the unit thoroughly for any issues, since I knew I could just walk back in and exchange it for the other one.

I’ve yet to hook it up to the TV (since I can’t say that was a selling point for me. I still prefer using my CMVS for that). I was kind of hoping the screen to be nicer than it is. Colors don’t really pop on the screen. It’s not awful or anything, but I guess I’ve been spoiled by the VITA and iPhone/iPad’s retina displays. I question the durability of the SD game card. Most SD card usually end up dying at some point. I inserted Ninja Master’s and the system didn’t detect anything. Had to clean the connectors before it would work. Considering the card is brand new, I have doubts that we’ll still be able to play them 10-15 years down the line.

Unit looks nice, I would’ve loved for it to be a 4:3 screen (which would make it not as wide). I know some people don’t care about stretching their pixels, but I do and I think most Neo Geo fans would too. But I suppose most LCDs now are 16:9 and 4:3 ones would’ve been more costly. Face buttons feels pretty good, but the shoulders one are not great, but if they’re only used for settings and such, who cares really. Although I’ve always loved the NGPC and NGCD pad, I don’t like the one on the NGX as much. I tend to have sweaty hands when I play, and my thumb tends to slip on that one more than the others.

Overall still happy with the purchase and I would gladly buy a few more games (hopefully collection of a few games on a single SD card). Really hoping someone unlock the full potential of this unit by bringing Unibios. For years of playing with credits on MVS, I do miss that when playing in AES mode.

Also, did anyone get a screen protector on it? I saw pics of the unit a few weeks ago that had a custom screen protector. Mine didn't. Only had the warning sticker on it. I think I might still have old PSP screen protector which might fit, but it's too bad that they didn't ship with one.

Last edited:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
No box damage for me, other than a corner dig where Gamestop put the system in a super tight cardboard box that would transfer any dings from the outside cardboard box to the Neo Geo X box. Fuckers.

And man... wish I could have gotten a Neo for Xmas back in the 90s! My parents never would have gone for that shit. Ever.

I asked for one when I was 12. My parents made no bones about it, they saw the price of the games and said no way kid! I got a guitar instead. A better gift in retrospect. Didn't get my first Neo until college in 1998.

slerch666

updyke,
I asked for one when I was 12. My parents made no bones about it, they saw the price of the games and said no way kid! I got a guitar instead. A better gift in retrospect. Didn't get my first Neo until college in 1998.

I asked as well. I knew the answer. Even when the system dropped to $350 they weren't interested, as they saw the prices of games. Oh well, I have a cab, a super gun and now the NGX, so I'm happy.

Yes. And No it doesn't.

I put the ZIP file on the card, doesn't read it. I put the unzipped files on the card, doesn't read it.

There's something on the Ninja Masters card that tells the system it is a Neo Geo X card, because as soon as you put NM into the slot, it tells you it's a game. When you put a regular SD card in, it doesn't recognize it as a Neo Game card, so it doesn't let you open it.

at least you made a good attempt , if they could hack ever other console out there , Its just a matter of time b4 this gets hacked.

slerch666

updyke,
at least you made a good attempt , if they could hack ever other console out there , Its just a matter of time b4 this gets hacked.

Thanks.

My guess is that there is a file of some sort that is on the card that authenticates it. I'm almost certain the way firmware updates will be handled will be through an SD card. Once they offer that, I'm almost positive, assuming no one figures out before then, that we'll have hacks not long after. Still hoping for Unibios support.

HitokiriRyu

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Does anybody have a pc running Linux who could test it? It's most likely just using a different file system.

Not at all. Plugged it into 2 different PCs, with and without write protection, and the PC doesn't recognize the NM game card at all.