Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The 16:9 screen is a weird choice... i see "L and R" buttons too... maybe they are planning to use it for other games too?
Probably for macros. Calling strikers in KOF (B+C) is quite awkward on a NGCD pad layout for example.

Superdanx

Goal! Goal! Goal!
10 Year Member

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I would love to see that thing in action.

aria

Former Moderator
I can't believe someone started a thread about this in Unrelated. MERGERZORED-ERBLARRRGGHH!!!

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
The 16:9 screen is a weird choice... i see "L and R" buttons too... maybe they are planning to use it for other games too?

Taken from here http://neogeox.com/NeoGeo/NeoGeox

Play your favorite♥NEOGEO games wherever you go!
4.3" LCD Screen and expandable game card slot.
20 Classic NEOGEO♥Games pre-loaded on the♥NEOGEO♥X Handheld!
MSRP: $129.99 USD

Yes. It says 4.3" for the screen size not 4x3 screen ratio.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The badly photoshopped screen shot they show is stretched ewwwwww!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The "select" button on a neo stick is pretty much only to pause the game and never used for its intended purpose to select anything. So by that logic, maybe the L and R shoulder buttons would toggle screen sizes, like how GB and GBC games can be played on GBA in their native ratio or the stretched GBA ratio.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I wonder about the expandable games thing... You think this product will actually let people use ROMs? I can't see any legitimate company selling a product that lets you use ROMs... either they are digging their own grave or they will provide additional games through a service.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Blaze has made Genesis handhelds that allowed the use of roms on an SD card, and Sega didn't give a shit.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I don't really like the button layout, :B: and :C: should be switched, I think. Platformers like Metal Slug and Magician Lord would be a pain to play like that.

But... somehow my mind is warping, and I'm starting to want this thing. A dock that doubles as an HDMI equipped console? An extra joystick? And an expandable game slot (inevitably for ROMs?)...

These all sound like solid features.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
But... somehow my mind is warping, and I'm starting to want this thing. A dock that doubles as an HDMI equipped console? An extra joystick? And an expandable game slot (inevitably for ROMs?)...

These all sound like solid features.

Yes that is what happened to me... when it was just a handheld I was not that interested..

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well, lame or not I'm pretty sure I'm getting in on this thing to find out for myself first hand.
I really have been wanting to get back into neo gaming after having to dump most of my video gaming stuff and maybe this thing can let me play the ones I want fairly easy.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'm just gonna wait for a review to come out first.

Zenimus

Yes that is what happened to me... when it was just a handheld I was not that interested..

Right? I'm confused why lots of gamer blogs are pegging it as "shockingly expensive". That dock/console and full sized joystick increase the value of the $200 offer significantly. And it's not an illegitimate device like the GP2X or something, it's an official licensed SNK-P product.

If that card slot allows you to play games outside the initial lineup, we'd be stupid not to get this.

goldenegg

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Right? I'm confused why lots of gamer blogs are pegging it as "shockingly expensive". That dock/console and full sized joystick increase the value of the $200 offer significantly. And it's not an illegitimate device like the GP2X or something, it's an official licensed SNK-P product.

If that card slot allows you to play games outside the initial lineup, we'd be stupid not to get this.

You realize the dock and joystick are much smaller than the AES, right? If the scale in the image is what is to be expected in the final product, there's no reason at all to expect a full size joystick.

To say this package is (not) worth $200 requires some assumptions to be made. This would have to be absolutely top build quality and flawless emulation to be worth the price. If this turns out to be anything like Blaze's other products, it would barely be worth $20.

Also, why does it make a different that it's a licensed product? All that means is a company paid SNK enough money to put the name 'Neo Geo' on their product. Anyone with enough money could do so. Unless SNK starts actively promoting this, I wouldn't get too excited about the fact it's licensed.

Last edited:

Zenimus

I can't imagine it's that much smaller. If the ports on the front of the console are USB ports, you can kinda get an idea of the scale. It also mentions that the screen for the handheld is 4.3", which is fairly big.

And fortunately I don't think Blaze is creating these. Their connection only seems to be as the distributors in the UK.

I don't know, I'm still optimistic at this point.

goldenegg

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Blaze doesn't make any of the product they sell. They simply re-brand products from other manufacturers. Their track record in the market pretty much ensures that no serious video game manufacturer would choose to partner with Blaze for a product like this. Doing so sends a pretty strong message regarding the product.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Definitely picking this up regardless of the skepticism. Neo Geo products don't get released often.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
Definitely picking this up regardless of the skepticism. Neo Geo products don't get released often.

Just because it says neogeo on the cheap plastic and is licensed doesn't make it a real neogeo product.

I'm starting to literally believe the old joke about selling a bag of shit with neogeo stamped on it, and people would actually buy it. This crappy overpriced emulation thing isn't far from that.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Just because it says neogeo on the cheap plastic and is licensed doesn't make it a real neogeo product.

I know man, but well just have to wait and see and im genuinely curious about this and the price isn't too bad