"Neo Geo" to "NeoGeo"? When/Why the Switch?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I have noticed that all the new Neo advertising and branding has been using the "NeoGeo" (with no space).
Compared to the old "Neo Geo" (with the space). Any idea why and/or when they made this change?

Close as I can tell is that the new one does have a Trademark Marking on it so I assume that the old one either expired or never had a Trademark issued for the "Neo Geo"? Was the old way ever Trademarked?

Just a simple topic I wouldn't mind hearing what others think about this simple spelling change.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You can't say we don't discuss the important things in life here.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I used to hyphenate Neo Geo. Some always type it in all caps. It's pure anarchy.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Excuse me, but it's NEO•GEO. Please correct these errors.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
NEO-HYPHENDOT-GEOMETRIC-CONCEPTUALISM-A-QUANTUM-LEAP-FORWARD-IN-ENTERTAINMENT™©1993•SNK•

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Is there a fancy grammatical term for the "dot" in NEO•GEO? I've always thought it was the proper way to spell it out, but that character isn't especially handy (at least on a US keyboard layout) when casually typing. And a hyphen doesn't look right.

Start a poll and let's vote on it.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Is there a fancy grammatical term for the "dot" in NEO•GEO? I've always thought it was the proper way to spell it out, but that character isn't especially handy (at least on a US keyboard layout) when casually typing. And a hyphen doesn't look right.

Start a poll and let's vote on it.

Bullet. The ASCII is Alt+7 if anyone's wondering as well.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Alright... I admit my mistake I understand that there's a hyphen and/or dot.... my point still stands... Why this mysterious and in all honesty almost pointless change?

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Bullet. The ASCII is Alt+7 if anyone's wondering as well.

Yes and no. The Bullet is used in lists only. For written language it is an Interpunct.
Since Neo Geo is a japanese product, it is likely that this is actually a Katakana Middle Dot.

All these friggin' dots look the same, why do they need all these different names?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
All right... I admit my mistake I understand that there's a hyphen and/or dot.... my point still stands... Why this mysterious and in all honesty almost pointless change?

BbScBMu.gif

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Yes and no. The Bullet is used in lists only. For written language it is an Interpunct.
Since Neo Geo is a japanese product, it is likely that this is actually a Katakana Middle Dot.

All these friggin' dots look the same, why do they need all these different names?

That's a healthy dose of glorious pedantism. Middle dot made from Nippon steel folded over 10,000 times it is.

NEO-ミダル・ドット-GEO is now the only correct way to write it.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The space between 'Neo' and 'Geo' was the one asset we couldn't get back from Aruze. Sorry.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The lack of space/hyphen/or dot will become the Mark of The Noobs.

"You guys like NEOGEO?"

"Wanna play Snessssss?"

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Why the change? Dunno. Maybe internet search and readability type of reasons. I see what you mean here: https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/neogeomini/

They've got a TM next to it, which is fine. TM symbol can be used freely, without application for registration, to protect your marks. You can use the R symbol if your mark is registered, for easier protection.

The old way "Neo Geo" had a couple of registrations which expired in 2002 and 2004.

Currently, the only "Neo Geo" specific mark is the design + words mark with the faces

Last edited:

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I work in intellectual property and I don't think it's trademark related.

The social media answer makes more sense.