Neo Geo PSX Adapter (DIY) for use with Neo Geo CD Pads? Quick question on 5V+ Pin 8

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hello,

I made an adapter for use on a PS2 and it works great but it only works on my old style AES controller and bean controller.

I am aware that the Neo Geo CD Pads require 5v+ I was curious if I can make an external gender changer adapter that has 5v+ on the pin 8 and place it in between the adapter port and the controller itself without damaging the Neo Geo CD pad?

Is there any chance this could hurt the controllers or the consoles?
(Example: I want to use a PSX to USB adapter, would it send 5v down the USB end of my pc usb hub and cause issues?)

Curious before doing it :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• aaa.png
    aaa.png
    1 MB · Views: 51

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Why don't you just pull voltage from the Playstation controller port? I think it's pin 5.

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
I could do that but I was thinking since I made another adapter similar to the PS2 one above for Xbox original could I just make a Gender changer that has 5v+ on pin 8 to place between both adapters,
I'd hate to have to open those project boxes up again and mess anything up. (Did a good job with hot glue so the pad hacks wont come off but still you know?)

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Why don't you just pull voltage from the Playstation controller port? I think it's pin 5.

I thought PSX was 3.5v. You could always regulate down from the 8v motor supply, though.

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
I had seen a post where Xian Xi mentioned:
"The new style sticks use 5v for th buffer chip but they pull the power from the signal lines instead of pin 8"
"The signal lines are held high by the resistor networks near the controller port in the system. When the signal is grounded (button pushed connecting signal to ground) it tells the logic to activate that command.
The signal lines can probably do like 200mA for 5v. Most just use the power for LEDs which are roughly 20mA."

I guess this has me confused because I thought I could easily place an external PSU to pin 8 (5v+) but it seems it has to be inline? (Not too sure, what do you guys think?)

I made a super gun and CMVS and I pulled the 5v+ off the PSU for the CMVS and the Supergun I pulled it off the CGA/VGA Adapter.

Sorry for the silly questions..
Just wanting to make sure I don't damage my controllers. :)
any help you can give is much appreciated