Neo Geo PCB's

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Hi all,

I noticed that there are two Neo Geo games that were released as PCB's (SNK vs. Capcom Chaos, King of Fighters 2003)

My question is, why was this? Were these PCB's that worked in standard Jamma cabs or something? Surely EVERY arcade operator had 1 Slot Neo Geo's?

Thanks

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
I know Metal Slug 5 also received a similar "dual" release. As to why they received a run in both Neo•Geo MVS cartridge and standalone PCB, I can only assume it was to boost sales by giving vendors a choice. They could either upgrade their current Neo•Geo MVS machine or, if they didn't even have the motherboard to begin with, just buy the all-in-one PCB by itself.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
They're really just an MV-1C with a cartridge added on. SNKP did a lot of weird things and this was one of them.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Ah that makes sense thanks for the reply's. I'm only after thinking, they seem to be games late in the Neo Geo's life so perhaps arcade operators did not have as much 1 slots by then hence the games were put on dedicated PCB's. I wonder, is there a different bios version on the dedicated PCB's?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Wearnt the PCB versions exclusive to Japan? I know Japan didnt get a KOF2k3, SvC Chaos, or Metal Slug 5 Cart.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I wonder, is there a different bios version on the dedicated PCB's?

the MV-1C has an SP-S3 bios and the PCB's have an SPJ so I assume they are different, to what length I don't know.

Wearnt the PCB versions exclusive to Japan? I know Japan didnt get a KOF2k3, SvC Chaos, or Metal Slug 5 Cart.

Japan got KOF2003 as far as I know, there are Japanese labeled carts after all. Don't know about the others but I assume they also did.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
the MV-1C has an SP-S3 bios and the PCB's have an SPJ so I assume they are different, to what length I don't know.

Japan got KOF2003 as far as I know, there are Japanese labeled carts after all. Don't know about the others but I assume they also did.

Japan did not get KOF 2003 in cart form either.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Wow! This looks remarkably similar to another Japanese MVS label that came out just one year later: Samurai Spirits Zero Special. Take a look below...

View attachment 53524

The corners are WAY to rounded on that label, I'm going with fake label there. If that where an original label, they'd have used the same label as what was on the PCB

Kof2003_pcb1_front.jpg

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
I find it difficult to believe someone would go to such lengths of creating a personalized Japanese label only for it to later be sold on a Yahoo! Japan auction. Given its striking similarity to the legitimate and admittedly hard-to-come-by, Japan-only MVS cartridge of Samurai Spirits Zero Special, why don't you think The King Of Fighters 2003 couldn't have also enjoyed an even more limited local release? To be sure, stranger things have certainly happened. ;)

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
SVC, KOF03 and MS5 carts were all worldwide releases with English label. The artwork came in English, Japanese and Spanish.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I find it difficult to believe someone would go to such lengths of creating a personalized Japanese label only for it to later be sold on a Yahoo! Japan auction.

People do this with English labels on ebay all the time, why would it any different in Japan?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
As I recall the PCB releases had something to do with Japanese arcade operators moving away from MVS, and I'm pretty sure SNKP never manufactured any MVS mobos, so the PCB's allowed arcades to offer the games on JAMMA switchout rather than rely on using MVS mobos.

Or something like that.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
As I recall the PCB releases had something to do with Japanese arcade operators moving away from MVS, and I'm pretty sure SNKP never manufactured any MVS mobos, so the PCB's allowed arcades to offer the games on JAMMA switchout rather than rely on using MVS mobos.

Or something like that.

SNKP made mobos. I have an MV1C made in mid 2006.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
SNKP made mobos. I have an MV1C made in mid 2006.
Nope.

There was a while in fact where people in this community didn't recognize that SVC was released legitimately as a cart. You can find the old threads here where people insist that any cart of the game is a bootleg. It seems the international version may have been released after the standalone PCB.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Nope.

There was a while in fact where people in this community didn't recognize that SVC was released legitimately as a cart. You can find the old threads here where people insist that any cart of the game is a bootleg. It seems the international version may have been released after the standalone PCB.

I do remember that! Man, that seems like a lifetime ago. Wow...