Neo Geo PCB Modifications

Hi folks,

I'm new the owning an MVS cab but already thinking about things I'd like to do to make the most out of the experience.

Three projects come to mind:

1. Adding a pause switch
  2. Adding a volume control
  3. Adding a power switch (my Dynamo HS-5 doesn't have one)

Anyone done anything else interesting to their cab that they would recommend?

Also, I've seen some good write-ups on adding a pause as well as a volume control, but any other first-hand tips from forum members on these would be most welcome.

Cheers!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I would just get a Unibios instead of installing a pause switch. Your Mobo should already have a volume control.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
A power strip that the cab is plugged into near your foot makes for a great power switch, just move your foot over and flip the red. As Guts said the Unibios has a pause feature and there should be a volume pot on the mobo, probably looks like something you would put a small screwdriver in to turn it up or down.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
OP, your username is going to age like a fine wine.

PS: I'm a dummy and I don't understand anything being discussed in this thread.

OP, your username is going to age like a fine wine.

PS: I'm a dummy and I don't understand anything being discussed in this thread.

Ah yes, hopefully similar to this fine wine: http://www.winesofcanada.com/images/andres_coldduck.jpg

A power strip that the cab is plugged into near your foot makes for a great power switch, just move your foot over and flip the red. As Guts said the Unibios has a pause feature and there should be a volume pot on the mobo, probably looks like something you would put a small screwdriver in to turn it up or down.

Much appreciated! I should have clarified that I'm thinking of the volume mod for when I have a multi-cart in. It's a pain to have to open the cab everytime you switch on a multi-cart. For regular carts on the board is just fine since you're in there anyhow.

On the power strip, this is good practical advice...unfortunately operator error on my part with this approach has already resulted in warm beer when I realized that the beer fridge was also plugged into the same strip the next day :crying: (mental note, re-route beer fridge plug)

I would just get a Unibios instead of installing a pause switch. Your Mobo should already have a volume control.

Good to know. I need to read-up on the Unibios...I was thinking they were mostly aimed at AES owners, now time to some more homework :)

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Good to know. I need to read-up on the Unibios...I was thinking they were mostly aimed at AES owners, now time to some more homework :)

oh no no no. they are aimed at neo geo owners who like awesomeness.

-Pausing your game? fuck yeah.
-Rapid fire for games like aero fighters? sign me up.
-Soft reset? you better friggin believe it.
-Region change? ya know, sometimes I do like to see the winners don't use drugs screen.

there's more but you get the idea.

edit: my mvs is a 1-slot in an Astro City.

Last edited:
oh no no no. they are aimed at neo geo owners who like awesomeness.

-Pausing your game? fuck yeah.
-Rapid fire for games like aero fighters? sign me up.
-Soft reset? you better friggin believe it.
-Region change? ya know, sometimes I do like to see the winners don't use drugs screen.

there's more but you get the idea.

edit: my mvs is a 1-slot in an Astro City.

:buttrock:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Just the soft reset alone when you are playing for score is great IMO.

And the Pause is just a must for casual gaming.

Just the soft reset alone when you are playing for score is great IMO.

And the Pause is just a must for casual gaming.

Interesting. So the soft reset will prevent loss of high-scores? Can you explain how that aspect works?

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Interesting. So the soft reset will prevent loss of high-scores? Can you explain how that aspect works?

I think he's saying it's nice to be able to reset quick in case you make a mistake while doing a score run. If that's what you meant, rm, yer absolutely right, it's very helpful :)

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I think he's saying it's nice to be able to reset quick in case you make a mistake while doing a score run. If that's what you meant, rm, yer absolutely right, it's very helpful :)

Exactly this!

This way you don't have to constantly make a power cycle to the motherboard or even the monitor. You gain precious time and save your hardware.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you have the mvs cab, just press the Test Mode button to return to the softdip menu.

Beelay

New Challenger
I assume you mean having accessible switches outside of the cab? Because the motherboard itself already has both a volume control knob and one of the dip switches will pause the game.

I assume you mean having accessible switches outside of the cab? Because the motherboard itself already has both a volume control knob and one of the dip switches will pause the game.
Yes, precisely. The vol adjustment is mostly an issue when playing a multicart since you aren't already opening the cab to switch games and the vol can vary significantly between games.

The pause feature via dip switch is cool, but not convenient when you are trying to pause in the middle of a game. I've seen a mod write-up that adding a simple trough switch to the dip circuit that was clever and would be handy.