Neo Geo games you never bothered playing...

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 NEOGEO games that I've never played seriously.

01) 'Ashita no Joe Densetsu [Legend]'/'Legend of Success Joe' (July 15, 1991).

qhdOMT7.jpg

AES Artwork Required - Neo•Geo•Soft (Page 1)

'Ashita no Joe' was originally born as a comic book, then it was also transposed into two animated series, which in total were composed more than one hundred episodes [ten years ago they made also a official live action adaptation]. In Japan has been a real cult series and even in Italy where I come from, the series has been successful, in fact, even today the comic is continually reprinted because of the continued interest from the public, so, for this title in the past I had expectations... but unfortunately this game is a real shit: it is unsalvageable both graphically and as playability.

j4UkCws.jpg

Legend of Success Joe (1991) [Arcade Longplay]

Not even on the Famicom they could have created something so ugly and I'm not at all surprised that two years after have created this disaster the Wave company is gone forever from the history of video games.

Taito, SunSoft, Konami and Capcom have done a much better job with this series, so if you must impersonate Joe Yabuki, turn to their creations and pretend that this 'Legend of Success Joe' never existed.

02) 'Fire Suplex'/'3 Count Bout' (April 26, 1993).

EyfiARl.jpg

For its original release period '3 Count Bout' I've always found it graphically 'powerful': not as much as the first 'Art of Fighting', but almost, however, I've never liked the world of wrestling, so, I've never really 'fallen in love' with this game, moreover, the fighting system it never seemed to me easy and intuitive, so I've never played it seriously.

3y4Js4T.gif

VGJUNK — Some action from Neo Geo wrestling title 3 Count Bout, which I wrote all about yesterday (and rather enjoyed) - Tumblr

03) 'Double Dragon' (March 3, 1995).

z4rEOxV.jpg

The my interest for the Technōs Japan has always been for the 'Kunio-kun' series and I've never been particularly attracted to 'Double Dragon', but I wanted to still give this game a chance, however, I feel it lacks that something that would make this title one of the timeless classics, however, it's not a bad game at all and any lover of old school fighting games could easily have fun with it.

KfFD8BE.gif

Neo geo lotus flower double dragon GIF - Find on GIFER

04) 'Fūun Mokushiroku Kakutō Sōsei'/'Savage Reign' (April 25, 1995) and 05) 'Fūun Super Tag Battle'/'Kizuna Encounter Super Tag Battle' (September 20, 1996).

Ezf9ygF.jpg

bLE1unB.jpg

In the mid-nineties in Japan the SNK was on the crest of the wave and therefore the Japanese public had a certain expectation on this series, that in that historical moment represented the new and unpublished fighting game branded SNK, however, in the end this game and its respective sequel they were not liked at all and for this reason that the AES copy of 'Kizuna' has become one of the rarest games of all time.

But why did this series fail? (Graphically it has aged very well as well).

WqpYe50.gif

Because Sho Hayate and his family running a cult on the boomerang were labeled as morons and the rest of the other characters had no impact at all and also I in this specific case i completely agree with them (only Rosa and Kim Sue II they were of the really cool PGs).

AbMXBwb.gif

VGJUNK | Pixel art, Pixel animation, Fighting games - Pinterest

06) 'Shinouken'/'Ragnagard' (June 13, 1996).

VU9HmBu.jpg

AES Artwork Required - Neo•Geo•Soft (Page 4)

Unfortunately this game fell victim to the same disease launched on the market from the publication of 'Donkey Kong Country' (1994): it is rumored that the following year even the beautiful two-dimensional graphics of 'Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island' (1995) should have been cursed from this same kind of technique, but the legend has it that it was Miyamoto himself who saved this little 'creature' from this possible disaster, unfortunately instead for 'Ragnagard' nobody prevented this boat from sinking and what came out is a graphically horrible product (the end result was far worse than 'Legend of Success Joe').

tEkxlhs.gif

Ragnagard (aka Shin-Oh-Ken) - System Vision; NeoGeo, 1996 - Tumblr

I've always felt sorry for it, because the character designs if they had been rendered 2D wouldn't have been bad to play at all.

Anyway, I like them the games like 'Donkey Kong Country', 'Blazing Star' and 'Prehistoric Isle 2', but with this 'Ragnagard' I just can't play it: it's something stronger than me (it's a game that I don't even want in my library).

07) 'Nightmare in the Dark' (January 27, 2001).

DjabQ9m.jpg

Nightmare in the Dark - Project Firestart

This title has always seemed to me a valid clone of the more classic 'Snow Bros.' (1990) created by the Toaplan, but despite that, I never got seriously interested in playing it and most of the year I don't even remember of its existence, but still just looking at it doesn't seem to be a bad game.

WYFzCF6.gif

vgjunk: Nightmare in the Dark, arcade. (SNK/AM Factory - Neo Geo - 2000) - obscure video games - Tumblr

08) 'Rage of the Dragons' (June 6, 2002) and 09) 'Shin Gōketsuji Ichizoku Tōkon Matrimelee'/'Matrimelee' (March 21, 2003).

WyjQGhS.gif

Rage of The Dragons - SNK Art Gallery | TFG - The Fighters Generation

9dmINdm.jpg

AES Artwork Required - Neo•Geo•Soft (Page 4)

Graphically 'ROTD' and 'Matrimelee' have tried to maintain the standard previously launched by games such as 'The Last Blade' and 'Mark of The Wolves', however, I don't know why, but 'ROTD' and 'Matrimelee' don't excite me at all and therefore I've always pretended that they ever existed (despite the fact that they are both of the games with their own dignity).

45OUCOv.gif

Jimmy Lee (Rage of the Dragons) SNK Aniamted GIFs - The Fighters Generation

In the games created by the defunct Noise Factory (who developed both of these titles), it always seemed to me that there was something that didn't work at all, but I never understood what it was specifically.

4jUlZFf.gif

Lunch Time - Matrimelee (Atlus - Arcade - 2002) GIF | Gfycat

10) 'SVC Chaos SNK Vs. Capcom' (July 24, 2003).

6e3KUzW.jpg

AES Artwork Required - Neo•Geo•Soft (Page 5)

If for the arcade games published in the nineties, they would ask me 'but what do you prefer between the games published by Capcom and those published by SNK?', I without even thinking about it two seconds I'd say 'Absolutely SNK', however, there is an exception to this statement and the latter is precisely this crossover made between these two companies from Osaka.

'SVC Chaos' is technically poor: the artists have done a good job in completely reinterpreting the Capcom characters with the unique style of 'The King of Fighters', but the SNK stable is completely recycled from previous games and the backgrounds are sadly off, even the music and the noise of the hits is definitely scadent.

This was not what I wanted from such a crossover made on the NEOGEO and that's why I never replayed it again (despite having to admit that it has one of the best introductions of the whole catalog of this system).

0a0TC4H.gif

Will I change my mind in the future? I don't know, it might well happen.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Someone needs to make a thread about Neo games you wanted to like but couldn't. 3 Count Bout is that game for me, why does it have to be so fucking difficult from the get go? If they eased difficulty just a bit on the grabs you'd have an easy win for operators and players.

I saw some dude here that streamed all mame games (forget his name atm for some reason) give his strategies for a 1cc but I can't execute him and honestly it's too much work for an undeserving game.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
'SVC Chaos' is technically poor: the artists have done a good job in completely reinterpreting the Capcom characters with the unique style of 'The King of Fighters', but the SNK stable is completely recycled from previous games and the backgrounds are sadly off, even the music and the noise of the hits is definitely scadent.

This was not what I wanted from such a crossover made on the NEOGEO and that's why I never replayed it again (despite having to admit that it has one of the best introductions of the whole catalog of this system).

Will I change my mind in the future? I don't know, it might well happen.

Perhaps you should just enjoy these games like SVC Chaos for what they are and move on from wishing for what could have been.

Unfortunately this game fell victim to the same disease launched on the market from the publication of 'Donkey Kong Country' (1994): it is rumored that the following year even the beautiful two-dimensional graphics of 'Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island' (1995) should have been cursed from this same kind of technique, but the legend has it that it was Miyamoto himself who saved this little 'creature' from this possible disaster, unfortunately instead for 'Ragnagard' nobody prevented this boat from sinking and what came out is a graphically horrible product (the end result was far worse than 'Legend of Success Joe').

I've always felt sorry for it, because the character designs if they had been rendered 2D wouldn't have been bad to play at all.

Anyway, I like them the games like 'Donkey Kong Country', 'Blazing Star' and 'Prehistoric Isle 2', but with this 'Ragnagard' I just can't play it: it's something stronger than me (it's a game that I don't even want in my library).

I have to hard disagree with you here. Ragnagard is by all accounts still a technically impressive game for the Neo Geo, whether you like CG rendered graphics or not. It shows off what the color depth of the Neo Geo can be capable of beyond the bog standard 2D graphics that the system was known for.

Ragnagard is miles ahead of LOSJ, which is marred by absolutely hideous artwork and poor usage of color. Plus the sound is simplistic and pathetic. It's hard to believe Legend of Success Joe is even a Neo Geo game, it looks and sounds like an early PC Engine game, in fact it's really similar to The Kung Fu, but it's somehow worse and uglier than that.

Last edited:

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
If its a game i buy, then i play them regardless to make sure theyre in operable condition at the very least. The only one that got 30 minutes of gameplay and never again so far is Riding Hero, and 30 minutes was 30 minutes too much.