Neo geo cdz power supply? Any options?

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi!

I just bought a neo geo cdz and I need a psu to see if it works.

TL;DR
Can I mod a JGO POWER supply to power my neo geo cdz or is that not safe?

I could buy this which is super expensive:

Or I could do something like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/neogeo/comments/ozy4ir

It’s strange I saw something about double the amperage on the 5v line.
From what I read you can add more amps but the racket boy comment scares me.

Just looking for some supportive folks on here to provide their expertise on the topic.

Thanks!

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Really? $198 for a cdz psu including shipping? I’ll sell you one for half that if you want. Drop me a pm if interested.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Never really figured out why SNK went with such proprietary plugs on the CD systems... or why the CDZ has its own adapter.

SNK did actually offer an accessory PSU - but it's rare as rocking horse shit.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Never really figured out why SNK went with such proprietary plugs on the CD systems... or why the CDZ has its own adapter.

SNK did actually offer an accessory PSU - but it's rare as rocking horse shit.
I believe it's because of the dual voltages. But the reason for the two different plug shapes is beyond me.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
not sure, but maybe after the phase of different voltages with the same plug, maybe then they've went for the safe route, the PSUs aren't interchangeable after all, the CD won't work with the CDZ PSU, only the other way around

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
not sure, but maybe after the phase of different voltages with the same plug, maybe then they've went for the safe route, the PSUs aren't interchangeable after all, the CD won't work with the CDZ PSU, only the other way around
Why not? Specs look the same. Oh, you mean just the plug shape?

Last edited:

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Why not? Specs look the same. Oh, you mean just the plug shape?
The CDZ PSU is not powerful enough to drive the CD, while they have the same output voltages, the CD requires 2A not just 1A

CD:
DC 5V 2A
DC 10V 1A

CDZ:
DC 5V 1A
DC 10V 1A

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The CDZ PSU is not powerful enough to drive the CD, while they have the same output voltages, the CD requires 2A not just 1A

CD:
DC 5V 2A
DC 10V 1A

CDZ:
DC 5V 1A
DC 10V 1A
Here are my Japanese 1X toploader and CDZ AC adapters side by side. They're both the same specs: 5V 2A.

Attachments

• 20220422_102908.jpg
    20220422_102908.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Here are my Japanese 1X toploader and CDZ AC adapters side by side. They're both the same specs: 5V 2A.
Interesting, they are both the same model POWCD-J, which is supposed to be the one for the CD, not the CDZ, the POWCD-J2 is supposed to be the one for the CDZ, which is weaker

Attachments

• 345016f1bae3b072e6def0d3f62b8d5304dde4ab_1-660x660.jpeg
    345016f1bae3b072e6def0d3f62b8d5304dde4ab_1-660x660.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 6

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Interesting, they are both the same model POWCD-J, which is supposed to be the one for the CD, not the CDZ, the POWCD-J2 is supposed to be the one for the CDZ, which is weaker
Maybe it's a repair or SNK used up some of the old stock for CD, because one of those has a CDZ shaped plug on the end.

Both systems came from the junk bins in Japanese recycle stores about 15 years ago.