Neo Geo CD - No Power

Caseh

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Just picked up a Neo Geo CD top loader that fails to power up. Can rule out the PSU, I have another CD unit and it works fine.

Couldn't really find anyone else posting the same issue online but did come across a site offering replacement caps for the power, not sure if this was for the board inside the unit or for the PSU itself.

Any pointers to a possible cause before I start poking everything with a multimeter?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Casesh,

Have you opened it up yet? Are there any caps visibly ruined? Is the jack loose?

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I had the same issue myself not too long ago actually. The problem turned out to be the pins inside the CD unit itself were dirty and starting to corrode. Cleaned them up and it works fine now. Might be worth checking out?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There's nothing really else to do but open it up and take a look for anything obvious blown on the power board or a jack issue as suggested above.

Caseh

Tarma's Gun Polisher
There's nothing obvious, no smell of cats piss and no sign of leaky caps. The ribbon cable connector for the lens are clean and straight, the jack is sturdy, not checked if power is coming in through it yet though so out come the probes.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The inductors go open circuit in the Neo CD. If PSU is good, I would be measuring the inductors on that top board.

Caseh

Tarma's Gun Polisher
9.5v coming in through the jack, then I spy a yellow cable connecting the power board to a section at the front next to the power button. No continuity, so I give it a tug and this happens:

tmp_31547-DSC_0177-1600x90081624658.JPG

A big blob of solder and some electrical tape and like magic, it's alive... And now I'm confronted with this:

tmp_31547-DSC_0179-1600x9001082674448.JPG

Apparently that translates to something like "set the CD". FML...

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
It translates to "Please set the CD" as you said. This could mean either the sensor is not picking up that the door is closed or that your laser has died. When you open the top door, there should be a small post to the right of the clasp the presses down into the sensor. You can try holding that down with something and seeing if the laser does anything at all. Alternatively, spin the gears of the laser mech back and see if it is coming forward when the sensor is pressed and the power is engaged.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It translates to "Please set the CD" as you said. This could mean either the sensor is not picking up that the door is closed or that your laser has died. When you open the top door, there should be a small post to the right of the clasp the presses down into the sensor. You can try holding that down with something and seeing if the laser does anything at all. Alternatively, spin the gears of the laser mech back and see if it is coming forward when the sensor is pressed and the power is engaged.

The small plastic piece that presses the sensor wears out over time. I have to leave something on top of the CD door otherwise my toploader randomly resets.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
The small plastic piece that presses the sensor wears out over time. I have to leave something on top of the CD door otherwise my toploader randomly resets.

Yea, I just press it down with a Q-Tip or something for testing purposes. That plastic post piece is super crappy.

Caseh

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Sadly I think this console is kaput, had to tweak the pot so the lens would recognise the CD and spin up. Spins up for a few seconds then there's a click from the lens aaaaand...nothing. Ahh well was worth a shot.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
New cd mechs are still readily available. IF you weren't across the pond I'd pick this up from you, but the shipping would kill it.

Caseh

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Code:
New cd mechs are still readily available. IF you weren't across the pond I'd pick this up from you, but the shipping would kill it.

Sadly the cost of a replacement lens wouldn't be worth it at this point. They are selling on feeBay for nearly as much as I paid for the console itself.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
9.5v coming in through the jack, then I spy a yellow cable connecting the power board to a section at the front next to the power button. No continuity, so I give it a tug and this happens:

A big blob of solder and some electrical tape and like magic, it's alive... And now I'm confronted with this:
I cant' believe It was so simple. Each time I have to deal with no power issues it's never a bad fuse or just a broken wire/trace...
I've got a friend in Europe who could be interested by your unit if you want to sell it.