Neo-Geo Big Red Cab Rebuild - Split Cab?

IGDetail

n00b
Hello folks, I'm halfway through my cab rebuild and have a question for those who have attempted/succeeded with the process in the past... I caught a post on Imgur several months ago and a rebuilder had split the top and bottom halves of their cab. It looks like some screws and glue are holding the halves together and don't want to damage my cab more than I have to. Anyone perform this surgery before?

thumbnail_file-13.jpg

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I've done this with my 6-slot. Once removed, I reproduced the top half and reused the bottom. Take you time and make good notes of how it's put together. Looking at you sides, I'd recommend reproducing using the old sides as templates. You'll be a lot happier with new wood instead of using body filler. Another consideration is to cut off the parts that are broken and reproduce them. Use a biscuit joiner with wood glue to re-attach.

IGDetail

n00b
Thanks NEgO MANIAC, the sides aren't that bad, just where the wings come out as you can see. I had thought about using biscuits as well and may do that versus using bondo. In fact, I may do the same on the bottom edge of the cab now that I'm considering this method. I'm always worried that bondo will just bump off - bondo edges just can't be that strong.

I've done this with my 6-slot. Once removed, I reproduced the top half and reused the bottom. Take you time and make good notes of how it's put together. Looking at you sides, I'd recommend reproducing using the old sides as templates. You'll be a lot happier with new wood instead of using body filler. Another consideration is to cut off the parts that are broken and reproduce them. Use a biscuit joiner with wood glue to re-attach.

IGDetail

n00b
... and I may actually pass on the splitting top and bottom halves idea ... I thoroughly inspected with a bright light and they really pumped a lot of glue into these cabs. If I get some helping hands this weekend I'll try holding a heatgun against it while separating. The glue seemed to get more pliable with enough heat.

Thanks NEgO MANIAC, the sides aren't that bad, just where the wings come out as you can see. I had thought about using biscuits as well and may do that versus using bondo. In fact, I may do the same on the bottom edge of the cab now that I'm considering this method. I'm always worried that bondo will just bump off - bondo edges just can't be that strong.

Last edited:

IGDetail

n00b
Hello kidchameleon1, it's just glue holding the top and bottom together. I won't be destroying it. I have the utmost respect for this cabinet ... I'm putting waaay more money into this restoration than I can ever hope to sell it for.