Neo Geo AES video problem

salvo85

n00b
Hi All,

i bought a few of days the my dream console after years to be able to buy it.
When i start the console without the game the screen become blue, so i think that it goes in diagnostic mode and there aren't problems (with your experience, can you confirm this?).
today i riceve Fatal Fury 2 and when i insert the game or not see any signal on TV or there are glitchesglitches aes.jpg

After some tests i clean the contact on the game cartridge that there was dirt and dust but also after the clean the problem remain.

Do you have any idea to understand if the problem is the console or the game?

thanks

salvo85

n00b
i want to add a bit the TV is a LCD Samsung UE32H5030AK linked with RGB-SCART cable.

Thanks

gtsamour

n00b
A Blue screen on power up without a cartridge plugged in means the system passed it's self diagnostics successfuly.
The bios self diagnostics are not by any means thorough but its an indication that the system is probably OK.

I would go with the cart being faulty in your place, try to clean the contacts again, very good cleaning this time. Use isopropyl alcohol or classic alcohol with a cotton swab. You can also clean the two slots of the system usind a credit card (or any other similar size card) with a thin cloth soaked with alcohol or prefferably isopropyl alcohol. Cover one side of the card with the cloth and stick it in the slot several times in and out all the way for the whole length of each slot.

Do you have any sound from the system? Try ear phones plugged to the sound hole in the front of the console and make sure the volume slider is all the way to the right. It looks like your TV is compatible since you are getting a clear blue screen without the cart plugged in.

The sure way to know if its the system or the cart is to try another cart that is known to be good, but I guess you don't have one...

What power supply are you using? Can you post a close photo with the specs of the PSU?

Last edited:

salvo85

n00b
Hi,

thank you for your answer, i try many times to clean the contacts with classic alcohol but this is the results:

glitches aes 2.jpg
I notice that when i start console without cart immediately give me screen blue, when i insert the cart and start the console take more time (maybe 10 sec. ) before i see something on the screen, is normal?

thank you in advice for your support

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
You seem to have a fucked up BIOS and/or RAM.

I had to change both on one of my AES's. It was a hell of NO fun to find the culprit.

gtsamour

n00b
You seem to have a fucked up BIOS and/or RAM.

I had to change both on one of my AES's. It was a hell of NO fun to find the culprit.
How can he have fucked up the bios if the self diagnostics which reside in the bios indicate a blue screen which means they are read and run successfully?
Also blue screen means the ram is good.

I don't believe its that.

If a console is OK and a cart is OK then the neo geo logo appears a second after powering on.

Photo of the PSU ratings please.

salvo85

n00b
If i clean the card's contact and give me this result is possibile clean the contact in the console?
maybe witha spray electric cleaner? Or it is so risky?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
How can he have fucked up the bios if the self diagnostics which reside in the bios indicate a blue screen which means they are read and run successfully?
Also blue screen means the ram is good.

I don't believe its that.

If a console is OK and a cart is OK then the neo geo logo appears a second after powering on.

Photo of the PSU ratings please.
Because I had a similar problem. Turned out to be a malfunctionning BIOS. Might not be his issue.

I desoldered the old one, instaled a socket and inserted a UniBIOS.

The games could boot, but it still gave me RAM errors. Two were dead. Luckily I had a few spare MVS boards around as donnors. Works like a charm now.

gtsamour

n00b
Because I had a similar problem. Turned out to be a malfunctionning BIOS. Might not be his issue.

I desoldered the old one, instaled a socket and inserted a UniBIOS.

The games could boot, but it still gave me RAM errors. Two were dead. Luckily I had a few spare MVS boards around as donnors. Works like a charm now.
Was it giving a blue screen?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Also, this issue persisted in only certain games. I remember Sengoku worked fine, despite the hardware issue. Fatal Fury 3 on the other hand, never worked until I swapped the BIOS and RAM.

salvo85

n00b
Sorry gtsamour i don't see that you edit your message i search to answer to your question:
-no i don't have any sound from tv, i don't try with the earphone, i will try and give you update;
-unfortunately i don't have any cart to try;
- i live in Italy so i use this adapter:
psu aes.jpg

gtsamour

n00b
Are you sure your AES is a 10V needing version? Some of them need 5V. Dont connect it again unless you're sure. You need to open the console up and post a photo right away. Do you have the original PSU? Is it a 10V one?
Unfortunately you can't tell from the outside.

gtsamour

n00b
No. It was giving garbage screen. Like his. Blue screen, green screen, etc are solid colors. Garbage screens are different errors.
His console gives garbage only with a cart inserted. The blue screen is when the system is powered on without any cart plugged in and the diagnostics from the bios are run. Blue screen means all diagnostics passed like in his case.
In your case and without the cartridge plugged in, what was the picture like?

gtsamour

n00b
The easy thing to do now is to clean the 2 slots as I described and see how it goes.
Also if you have a 10V Sega Megadrive PSU (center negative) you can also use it.

salvo85

n00b
ok gtsamour i will clean the 2 slots and hope.
thanks for your support i will update you, from the screens you see that all is OK on the PCB?

gtsamour

n00b
ok gtsamour i will clean the 2 slots and hope.
thanks for your support i will update you, from the screens you see that all is OK on the PCB?
The pictures aren't very detailed but I don't see something wrong. Its a good thing you get a blue screen without a cart in my opinion.

Did the game come with the console or did you buy it seperately?

salvo85

n00b
Hi,

i went to the market to buy the spray, after various clean on the 2 slots (when insert the cloth with the card it was clean) and clean the cntact card not see any solution.
I put in the earphone and i heard alternate buzz when the cart is in.

I bought them separately. i will try again to clean both.

Thanks

salvo85

n00b
If i try to open the cartridge we can see anything can help to risolve the problem?