Naomi Crashing

urmyokazu

New Challenger
Problem
I'm netbooting a Naomi using my supergun and I can get games to load fine. The issue is that the game will cut off while playing, no audio or video but I can still hear the fans on the Naomi running. This typically happens when something big happens on screen, for example an explosion or performing a super attack. I can play Guilty Gear for about an hour before it crashes but Border Down will crash around the first level's boss.

I took a multimeter to the power out from my Capcom IO and see that the 3.3v line dropped to 0 and stays there when this happens. I thought it may be an issue with the board not receiving enough power, I checked and noticed that I was only getting 11.70v on the 12v line so I adjusted the power supply in the supergun to get it to 12, this raised the 5v line to around 5.18v when measuring from the Jamma connector.

Other Details
Naomi 1 motherboard with netdimm
Using Capcom IO to connect to supergun
Bios: EPR-21576H - Japan
4.02 Netdimm firmware

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Capcom I/O does not provide enough power to run a NET-DIMM board.

You need a SUN PSU to run a NET/DIMM board.

All your doing is wearing out your I/O board.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Capcom I/O does not provide enough power to run a NET-DIMM board.

You need a SUN PSU to run a NET/DIMM board.

All your doing is wearing out your I/O board.

This. STOP doing this until you get a proper PSU for the NAOMI. You risk damaging things otherwise.

urmyokazu

New Challenger
That's definitely good to know then. I read something similar to that online but I thought it only pertained to the GD drive. Thanks for the fast replies, I'll start looking for a proper PSU pronto.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Speaking of which, anyone know where to buy a Naomi compatible SUN PSU from?

Also, couldn't he power the Naomi through his happ PSU directly and still run the capcom IO from the same power supply? (Maybe add a jvs power plug to the supergun?)

Last edited:

urmyokazu

New Challenger
I found an old PC power supply I had in my closet with all the DC output needed. Stripped the wires and plugged it in to my Naomi and the games work great without crashing. Ordered some JST VL connectors and pins from Digi-Key to make a proper connection between the PC power supply and Naomi.

urmyokazu

New Challenger
Also, couldn't he power the Naomi through his happ PSU directly and still run the capcom IO from the same power supply?

I don't think that would work since the power supply in the super gun doesn't output 3.3V which the Naomi requires. The Capcom I/O outputs the 3.3V but does not have enough juice to power the Netdimm.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I use my happ/jamma PSU for the IO only, and the separate PSU for the NAOMI only. Works fine.