My third published translation: Trails in the Sky FC

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
So, here's what consumed three months of my life, working my day job, then spending any and all free time (including weekends) translating, from June to September of this year...

51zCm1-eMVL._SS400_.jpg

This game is ridiculously huge, and was hell to translate. This is more of a traditional turn-based RPG than Ys, vaguely reminiscent of Final Fantasy X's system, with the ability to use certain skills to delay enemy's turns. Combat is kind of "Strategy Lite," with moves having areas of effect, or straight lines, etc. The world is extremely detailed, with a remarkable amount of detail into the world's history, political interplay between nations, economy, etc. Kind of like the Codex in the Mass Effect games, there's a ton of background, for those who want to look into it.

The game is slated for a March 2011 release, so if you're an RPG fan with a PSP, give it a shot. Olivier's almost worth the price of entry, all by himself. :D

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Sounds cool man. Congrats on all the continued hard work.

Now. You're gonna make sure Xseed localizes Half-Minute Hero 2, right? Right?!?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Great, more shit I gotta buy to support the cause.

Actually, this looks pretty cool. Is this the 4th game in the series? I have the first 3 PSP entries.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
That is really awesome I have been waiting for this game for over three years now. I will be buying it day one.

Will you also be working on the 2 sequels?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Grats, Deuce. On average, how many hours does it take to translate one of these things? If I can pick this up as a direct download I'll get it this week.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The game is slated for a March 2011 release, so if you're an RPG fan with a PSP, give it a shot. Olivier's almost worth the price of entry, all by himself. :D

Wes, I know you get all weak need and moist when Deuce posts but please note the release date;)

Deuce

Is this the 4th game in the series? I have the first 3 PSP entries.
It's the sixth, actually. The Gagharv Trilogy on the PSP consists of Legend of Heroes 3 through 5. The Sora no Kiseki trilogy is a standalone series, with a lot of similarities to previous games, but no major connections (kind of like Final Fantasy, I guess).

Will you also be working on the 2 sequels?
That I can't confirm or deny. Legal stipulation.

On average, how many hours does it take to translate one of these things?
I can only guess at the amount, but at least a few thousand man-hours, as there has to be the initial translation, then the editing pass, then a QC pass, to make sure everything lines up and makes sense. And the Sora games are big. Second Chapter is over twice the size of this one, and is (AFAIK) the only PSP game to come on two UMDs.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Were 4 and 5 released stateside? If so, it's time for me to go on the hunt!

Deuce

Were 4 and 5 released stateside? If so, it's time for me to go on the hunt!

4 and 5 of what? Legend of Heroes? Yes... unless I misread your previous post, you already have them.

S
S
R
P
G
When SSRPG starts paying my bills, I'll prioritize it. For now, paying work is job one.

Last edited:

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
I've played midway into the first game of the Trails in the Skys trilogy, and I have to say, this is my most anticipated RPG in this whole DECADE. Even when I didn't understand the Japanese text, I had a blast playing this due to the awesome music, charming graphics and characters, cool world, and fun battle system.

This is definitely a day one purchase for me. People who love charming, "classic"-style JRPGs should try this. The gameplay is great, you can even avoid battles if you want.

Oh, and according to RPGFan.com, the exact release date for this is March 29th.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
4 and 5 of what? Legend of Heroes? Yes... unless I misread your previous post, you already have them.

Okay, this series has a fucked up lineage.

It's a spinoff of another series, according to wiki.

I see that Dragon Slayer: the Legend of Heroes came out on the Turbu stateside, and it also says something about Virtual Console. I'll have to look and see if it can be DLed for the US Wii.

Did Dragon Slayer: the Legend of Heroes II come out stateside, to your knowledge? I don't see where it did.

BTW, the reason I ask is because I am the kind of gamer that doesn't like to jump into a game late in the series. It makes the earlier games less playable for me, for some reason. But if I play them from the start, I can appreciate the series' evolution a whole lot more, and see what developers did to add to the games as they progressed. I like to study this aspect of a game series.

Deuce

So far as I'm aware, LoH2 never saw an English release, but I could easily be misinformed. I've never followed the series. I believe Legacy of the Wizard on the NES is somehow linked to it, though (or another Falcom series).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So far as I'm aware, LoH2 never saw an English release, but I could easily be misinformed. I've never followed the series. I believe Legacy of the Wizard on the NES is somehow linked to it, though (or another Falcom series).
Wh-whoa, wait a minute...? I thought you were the biggest North American Falcom fan. My brother could beat you yet, though he hasn't translated any of the games. He did buy those damn first addition PC releases and he got a PSP just for Falcom.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Still finishing Y's Seven, then onto Oath, and so hopefully by the time this comes out, I'll have both finished. :)

I'll add it to my list of pick ups next year. Glad to see they got you working hard giving us stellar translations.