My small AES collection

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I sold my AES collection earlier this year but still had the SNK itch... so I jumped back in. My AES collection is very small and only consists of five games, but I'm excited to see which games I can track down.

Currently I'm just focusing on the Metal Slug series. MSX is next on my list and I'll shift gears into getting the Samurai Spirits games.

I don't plan to collect everything, just the franchises that I enjoy playing.

20200525_164300_14.jpg

There is a ton of space on my shelf so my collection has plenty of room to grow.

20200523_182213_14.jpg

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Can't go wrong with having 3 slugs in the collection already. Some big bucks there. Samurai Spirits is my favorite franchise on the Neo Geo, and it's worth going for the set in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this in the future.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Yeah the slugs don't come cheap. Especially english versions. Thankfully my out of pocket isn't too much and I got them through trades.

Samurai Spirits is one of my favorite franchises. I'm a big fan of weapons based fighters. I might go after SS0 and SS0S just to get the heavy hitters out of the way first.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Nice! Small but very respectable (that's what she said! :keke:). Seriously, though, the AES has a draw to it that usually reels people back in after they've sold everything off. I totally get it. I had an AES, then an MVS, then an MVS with some AES stuff, and now JUST my AES collection. :) Similarly, my current archive only focuses on the games and series that I'll definitely play moving forward. I don't plan on letting this collection go now that I'm a stable (mostly) mature adult.

Rufus Almasy

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I sold all my MVS games two years ago, and now I'm restarting from scratch again, so I know how it feels to get back and at it again. The Metal Slug 5 MVS is pricey, so I can't imagine how insanely expensive the AES version especially the English one really is.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
MS5 for the MVS is insanely expensive. Full kits are selling for 500-600. I'm not sure how much the AES version with the classic art pack is selling for. It's all speculative, but I imagine around 4k.

I've been looking at a ton of old threads from the early 2000s and it amazes me how much people complained about prices when these games were 400-600. I wonder what those same people think about today's market.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Added 2 more gems to the collection:

20200528_150309_17.jpg

20200528_150436_17.jpg

Now I just need Metal Slug 2. I'm going to have aquire a Japanese copy though. English is too rich for my blood. The collection is starting to fill out nicely though. I'm happy to own so many english slugs.

20200528_150730_17.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That's one hell of a line up! Also nice KOF choices... Those two would have to be my faves.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
So... will you ever attempt to get Slug 1 AES? I think it’s up to $40,000 for the US version CIB now right?

No. Even if I found one, I can't trust that it's real. I think the only way to know for sure is the manual. Plus 40k is the cost of a nice car lol. I think limitededitions mentioned in his Japanese Slug 1 video that he paid 15k for his copy. Any copy that I get of Slug 1 will be a conversion or just a MVS copy that I'll play in my candy cab or Omega.

I remeber back in the day guys like TonK sold several English copies of Metal Slug. I bet they regret it now!

English Slug 2 last sold for 7k. I'd have to trade a pinball machine for that, so that is also out of the picture. I have found a Japanese copy that is THOUSANDS less than Shawn's price in the Neo Store so that will be my next acquisition and the only Metal Slug I'll be paying out of pocket for.

Everything in my collection (besides kof) came from trades with forum members both online and offline. I simply can't afford the Metal Slug games and it has been pure luck that I had games other people wanted.

Last edited:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
That's one hell of a line up! Also nice KOF choices... Those two would have to be my faves.

Thanks man! I always had the most fun with those 2 KOF games so I had to grab them first!

Last edited:

myblackamex

NEST Puppet
Looks great! Amazing collection you have there. The itch may get to you for MS1 :) The paper/print on the manual,cart label and insert are the only sure fire ways to know if its a legit US copy. Looking forward to seeing how your collection grows.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Looks great! Amazing collection you have there. The itch may get to you for MS1 :) The paper/print on the manual,cart label and insert are the only sure fire ways to know if its a legit US copy. Looking forward to seeing how your collection grows.

oh shit! are you the fabled lone wolf with money making senses?

Missile

Another Striker
Really nice collection building there. I much prefer small collections. I think the games get lost when you have shelves full of hundred of games.That's why I never display all my games at once - I just have one shelf with video games on in my house. Then I change it up every now and again.

I sold my AES collection earlier this year but still had the SNK itch... so I jumped back in. My AES collection is very small and only consists of five games, but I'm excited to see which games I can track down.

Yes never sell any games collection because you always end up wishing you hadn't.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Added 2 Gems to the collection today:

20200826_151552_9.jpg

20200826_151617_9.jpg

20200826_151503_9.jpg

20200826_151328_7.jpg

20200826_151210_7.jpg

Also got the MS5 Flyer to complete my US copy:

20200826_152754_9.jpg

I think I'm pretty close to collection complete for the time being:

20200826_161743_20.jpg

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
What do you think of Metal Slug 5?

I think SNK did the best they could under the circumstances. It was 2003 and they were really close to the end.

I don't like that we don't really get any pay off for that tribal character that finds a mask. I know he was supposed to part of a series of final bosses along with the stone turtle that was cut. I love the music, but hate the quality. The quality isn't as good as the previous games and sounds muddy.

That being said I play it fairly often. I love the first and second stage, I love completely ditching the 001 tank that we have had in every game and using the Slug Gunner instead. The game is great fun and the art style is tops.

Are you debating picking up a copy? When I sold my AES collection earlier in the year this was my biggest regret. There is something about it man.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't like that we don't really get any pay off for that tribal character that finds a mask. I know he was supposed to part of a series of final bosses along with the stone turtle that was cut. I love the music, but hate the quality. The quality isn't as good as the previous games and sounds muddy.
The music in 4 and 5 is a recording, rather than Neo synth.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I think SNK did the best they could under the circumstances. It was 2003 and they were really close to the end.

That being said I play it fairly often. I love the first and second stage, I love completely ditching the 001 tank that we have had in every game and using the Slug Gunner instead. The game is great fun and the art style is tops.

Are you debating picking up a copy? When I sold my AES collection earlier in the year this was my biggest regret. There is something about it man.

I recently sold my loose MVS copy to BIG BEAR for $300. (In case you’re wondering what it went for) I don’t miss it all to be honest. I hope he enjoys it.

I played it one last time two player with my girlfriend before mailing it out the next day, and both of us agreed that the music was terrible and the level design was not nearly as fun as previous games.