MVS Price Guide Overhaul

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Ik going to be overhauling the price guides here pretty soon.

If anyone has any suggestions, questions, post them here.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
What I'm wondering about is whether the price guide is gonna be reflected as tiers (since you usually find many loose MVS games hitting the ~50 dollar mark) or take into consideration ebay price results. The former for simplicity and the latter because games are always being bought and sold on ebay regardless of ebay inflation (reflected in the price guide as max values).

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
My .02 Cents:

I like the Kit and Cart price guides. And I think the HI & LOW Price Columns are cool.

But, I'd like to see a NEW/NOS/LIKE NEW/COLLECTABLE Condition category and a USED/WORN/TATTERED/GAMER Condition category.

I've run into quite a few ebay sellers asking the HI price for Yanton carts.

And as far as eBay prices are concerned: IMHO, these prices ought to be a kept seperate From the forum price guide.

eBayers are stuck in thier own little world where everyone loves burning money with the click of mouse.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I cannot possibly put prices for NOS items on anything. I just don't know. The market needs to determine that.

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
Ik going to be overhauling the price guides here pretty soon.

If anyone has any suggestions, questions, post them here.

Glad to hear. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Can you put $25-$45 as the price range for Viewpoint, I haven't picked it up yet.:lolz:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Glad to hear. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Can you put $25-$45 as the price range for Viewpoint, I haven't picked it up yet.:lolz:

You want me to ban people for you as well? ;)

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
You want me to ban people for you as well? ;)

You would do that? Tell you what, I'll make a list of who needs to be banned and post it in a secure location so that no one but "us" can see it.;)

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Sounds awesome. The high/low columns are great, and for anyone selling/buying here it can be very useful. However, I often will see someone try to sell a game at the "High" price + shipping and only get offers of the "Low" price shipped. That is a trend that is just glued to human nature, so I wouldn't even know where to start with it.

High really should mean "Cart/materials are in stellar condition, this game is totally worth it," and low should mean, "It plays just fine, but has a repro label or something."

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
My .02 Cents:

I like the Kit and Cart price guides. And I think the HI & LOW Price Columns are cool.

But, I'd like to see a NEW/NOS/LIKE NEW/COLLECTABLE Condition category and a USED/WORN/TATTERED/GAMER Condition category.

this. i think the best was to do something like that is to column out the hi-low bit and do it like you were valuing a car kbb style.
Mint > Execellent > very good > good > fair (gamers condition) > poor > dead. that may be too many columns, but a couple could be deleted to make it easier.

maybe something like this could work: Mint > good > gamer > poor. maybe with a hi-low column for each? its getting very spreadsheety very fast, but this is the information we need to make informed buys/sales.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
this. i think the best was to do something like that is to column out the hi-low bit and do it like you were valuing a car kbb style.
Mint > Execellent > very good > good > fair (gamers condition) > poor > dead. that may be too many columns, but a couple could be deleted to make it easier.

maybe something like this could work: Mint > good > gamer > poor. maybe with a hi-low column for each? its getting very spreadsheety very fast, but this is the information we need to make informed buys/sales.

I think all that is a little excessive. Hi - Low for me says it all. "Hi" being mint and "Low" being shit and then using your own judgement to figure out what's in between.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I think all that is a little excessive. Hi - Low for me says it all. "Hi" being mint and "Low" being shit and then using your own judgement to figure out what's in between.

but its not necessarily that simple. plus, since when is more information a bad thing? i think having such a crazy tool available could really regulate the market a bit and we wont see as many peaks and valleys with values. no matter- it was just a suggestion. just sayin'.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member

I think it'd be useful to have pictographic standards for what makes the prices what they are. So "gamers condition" could be a picture of a scratched up label/replacement label MVS cart whereas good could be one with a clean label but cut serials.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
hopefully prices are not mostly going up, i have most of the cheap games I needed, the last few quality games I need are in the mid to high range now :(

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

That would only work with a VGA style grading system being implemented.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Prices will always go up.

1. Some eBayers will bid whatever it takes to win a game.

2. Some buyers belive that the next buyer will buy thier game from them for whatever price they payed for it + shipping.

3. eBay is foolish like that.

I :lolz: when Yanton carts sell for $$$.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Last Blade 2 kit price is still way too high. ;)

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Thanks for taking this on Tonk. Actually, I was thinking of PM'ing you a couple of weeks ago about this as well as offering to help since I'm sure this overhaul will be a big job on the research side of things. I think the system in place now is a good one as people can make their own calls between the high and low columns, but a system like the one cdamm proposes has merit as well. It also couldn't hurt t use ebay sales that technically started here, like member 'whitey's' recent collection sale (many of those kits got scooped up by members here. In this case, it was interesting to see Pulstar go beyond the guide price, and LB2 fall somewhere around the 750$ mark or so.
Again, if you want any help in compiling the info, let me know. The price guide has been invaluable to me and putting my MVS collection together, I'd love to help in any way I can.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist

I think it's already quite a lot work just to keep something like this up to date without having to complicate it further with a grading system.
Besides something that could be in good condition in someones eyes could be gamer condition for someone elses, etc.
KISS

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Fuck I hate these fucking guides. Make's it so hard to get a deal like thrift stores or other unique spots. It kills the hunt for me and I end up paying retail everywhere. Even here you could score some great deals, but everyone is adjusting because of these dumb guides. Does nothing but harm us all really. Especially since this scene is so niche to begin with, agreed upon prices are based on few enough examples to invalidate true value. This is especially true for home carts and less true for mvs.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I usually use the Low price as the maximum when deciding on a purchase. A good portion of my purchases din't even reach half of what the Low price indicated anyways.

stefano

Crazed MVS Addict
Think twice before prices shoot my rarities have not found them on ebay

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I usually use the Low price as the maximum when deciding on a purchase. A good portion of my purchases din't even reach half of what the Low price indicated anyways.

Exactly. It all depends on what you want to pay in the end. If the seller wants $200 and you want it for $175 but he won't budge and you pull the trigger at $200, that is on you not the guide. When people overpay they just end up raising the price for a cart.

Just like Viewpoint. It was only a $75 game then 2 idiots got into a bid war on ebay for one and it ended at like $200, then someone bought one on these forums that day for $85 with a shockbox and then flipped it on ebay for $150+. Ever since then the cart has almost never went lower than $120 on ebay.

Certain games like Sengoku 2 are expensive because they rarely come up for sale. Not because it's a rare game but because it's a keeper in most collections.