MVS MV-1C Stereo Mod - working now.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Attempting to add stereo RCA jacks to my MV-1C.

I soldered wires to the L/R taps as listed here, but haven't cut any traces or removed anything:
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/images/Stereo_on_MV-1C-1.png

When plugging these L/R wires into an amplifier, it's VERY low volume and staticy.

What am I missing? I should have to ground this somewhere, right?

Any help is appreciated. :)

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
AFAIK, that mod gives line level output, suitable for amplifiers. For ground use the regular ground provided by the MV-1C, which should go to the sleeve of the plug:

TRS-Audio-Plug-Connections-2.png

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Thanks, I didn't notice anyone mentioning ground in stereo mod tutorials, which confused me.

Where should I pull the ground from so I don't introduce more noise?

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Just pulled the ground from the large ground pad right near the audio solder points.

Working pretty well now! (If still a bit noisy, but it's actually likely cleaner than the stereo from my 2 slot)

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thanks, I didn't notice anyone mentioning ground in stereo mod tutorials, which confused me.

Where should I pull the ground from so I don't introduce more noise?

You're welcome. I usually try to get ground from the JAMMA edge, however like Xian Xi said once (quoted from MKL IIRC): ground's ground. There are no better grounds that others, so it may be convenient to look for ground on a nearby chip (most, if not all of them have at least one leg connected to ground) and pull it from there. From this pic: http://benheck.com/Downloads/Stereo_on_MV-1C.jpg (which is actually a higher resolution of the one you posted before) it seems leg 3 of that 9480F chip (the leg next to the white R wire) is connected to the ground plane, so that should work. Might want to check with the voltmeter, of course.

Regards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the Stereo mod, you don't need to cut any traces, that's old info. I'm not sure if I removed that bit or not.

And yes, ground is ground. You can pull it from any ground point, just keep in mind that you need a matching gauge or lower for the ground. If you are using 24awg wires, then ground needs to be the same or lower. I usually go 22awg if using 24awg for signals.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Thanks man! Used a matching gauge all around. Stereo is niiiiice, every MVS should be using it.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I just remembered that I actually daisy chained the ground - Board to LeftRCA to RightRCA. (Similar to chaining the ground on the buttons in a panel)

I used thick (20 or 22?) gauge wire, and haven't noticed any issues.

quru

n00b
OT, but with this stereo mod in place it seems you need an amplifier of some sort. Do you guys have any examples of suitable amplifiers for use in a consolized MVS?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
No good for headphones but fine for a TV or an amplifier. The guide on JNX is great to have, I've got a 1C heading my way soon and I was wondering how the hell I'm going to get stereo from it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If I ever try it again, I need to be careful. I already wrecked an MV-1C trying to add an amp.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Why wouldn't you just add an amp after the line out? No way to ruin the board that way.