MVS games in New York

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
I'm going to New York in a couple of weeks is there any game stores out there that sell MVS games or any other arcade stuff?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
You can try videogames NY in Manhattan, but there aren't too many dedicated game stores, and if there are they are horribly overpriced. CT has a few and isn't too far of a drive.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
there are a few in the east village but its a waste of time, everything is laughably overpriced and the selection is weak.

the staff at these places are unnecessarily rude & permanently pissed off, maybe they are tired of customers haggling a few bucks off a bare cart $45 copy of Battletoads NES or $250 for samsho2 AES

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
That's what I figured I'm pretty sure I seen some mvs carts at videogames NY last time I was there but nothing special.

Koop

n00b
You won't find anything even near ebay prices I am sure. It's a joke out there. Videogames NY is one of the worst offenders by far, even providing false information since they simply pretend they know everything when in reality they do not.

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
This city is garbage for people who are seriously into old games, there's no community that I've seen and all the stores are rip off artists aside from 8-bit and up which are genuinely cool people but never have anything good. The few good arcade machines are scattered across 4 barcades and terribly maintained while there are immaculate shrines to pinball and only pinball, for some reason. If any area peeps know of meetups or whatever for people who are into the good stuff please share, idk why but it seems so rare to meet people here with actual hardware and a real lifelong passion for this stuff rather than 20 year olds who want to wallpaper their room with bad NES games.

Koop

n00b
This city is garbage for people who are seriously into old games, there's no community that I've seen and all the stores are rip off artists aside from 8-bit and up which are genuinely cool people but never have anything good. The few good arcade machines are scattered across 4 barcades and terribly maintained while there are immaculate shrines to pinball and only pinball, for some reason. If any area peeps know of meetups or whatever for people who are into the good stuff please share, idk why but it seems so rare to meet people here with actual hardware and a real lifelong passion for this stuff rather than 20 year olds who want to wallpaper their room with bad NES games.

Kinda describes the landscape as a whole at this point I'd say. I know of a store in NJ that is generally pretty cool (no it's not Digital Press, fuck them). As for meetups NAVA is probably your best bet even if it's at Digital Press.... Even then it's filled with those reseller kiddos.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
Kinda describes the landscape as a whole at this point I'd say. I know of a store in NJ that is generally pretty cool (no it's not Digital Press, fuck them). As for meetups NAVA is probably your best bet even if it's at Digital Press.... Even then it's filled with those reseller kiddos.

Which shop in NJ is it? I'm just starting to get into buying MVS carts and also in NY. Even though I see some decent ebay prices occasionally, nothing compares with being able to see what you're buying first. Damn I miss the old days when you could just walk into Funcoland and get old ass games for cheap. Don't remember if Funcoland ever had NG games back in the day though..highly doubt it.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Retro Games Plus in CT has a couple stores off of I-95. MVS stuff is priced reasonably whenever they get it. However, the good stuff will sell fairly quickly, and common stuff like AOF and FF will be left over.

Why don't you actually mention the store you like? I assume it's Next Level Videogames? That's a great store with competitive prices.

Why do you dislike DP so much? NAVA used to be amazing, but it has gone sour along with the classic gaming/collecting community in general.