..MVS cab instructions holder!??

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi,

It bothers me a bit... all the MVS-x japanese cabs have the marquee holders *but not* any plexiglass to display the instructions artworks... which makes sense as otherwise they would have required space for 2/4/6 sets.

Here an example of what I'm talking about, practically all the other candy cabinets have one (pic from my Astro):

setsumei.png

So...I came to the conclusion that the instruction artworks were meant since the beginning, only for JAMMA cabinets, using MV-1 (and derived) boards.

...what bothers me though, is that the MV-1, the very first JAMMA model has the mem card connectors, so sounds I'm missing something...like an official cabinet with 1 game PCB, mem card slot and maybe a dedicated holder for the instructions?

I have somewhere a bunch of flyers/catalogs about Japanese MVS, but I don;t recall anything like that...which wouldn;d btw be an MVS at all, rather a Single Video System.

..so...ca we say SNK did print all that stuff without using it on your own brand cabs?

I'm trying to understand if the "MVS" concept, the arcade cabinet as envisioned by SNK, actually never required the instructions to be displayed/placed somewhere...basically a secondary accessory, in case of deploy on JAMMA non-SNK cab.

Thoughts?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I think I found a possible explanation, which indeed seems pretty obvious:

neotable1r.jpg

Sounds like the idea was retrofitting their own "Candy-xx" lineup (pretty popular/available before the MVS coming) with the MV1 and showing the instructions on the dedicated holder.

Flyer.jpg

..still looking for JAMMA cab with mem card slot though.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm likely off track here but maybe the MV-1 was released before the home console (or without the NGH in mind) and so the MV-IC support was only included for book keeping - not for players to insert their personal cards. Therefore cabinets of that time would not have had a memory card slot...

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I'm likely off track here but maybe the MV-1 was released before the home console (or without the NGH in mind) and so the MV-IC support was only included for book keeping - not for players to insert their personal cards. Therefore cabinets of that time would not have had a memory card slot...

this is THE answer!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member

I see your point...but I'm not sure ..., I thought the game stats/setup config were stored in a battery-backup served memory? (Have to check but the MV1 has the battery right?)

Also, it would have required a different bios... maybe they simply wanted the connector but never used it?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I just realized that the SC14, despite being a 2-slot MVS, has no marquee holder but just a plexiglass for the instructions artworks... that's crazy, because the operator had to use either the two pages but for one game (not showing info about the other), or one page for each of two games, showing half of the content available in the kit.

I love this company..

flyer33.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I see your point...but I'm not sure ..., I thought the game stats/setup config were stored in a battery-backup served memory? (Have to check but the MV1 has the battery right?)

Also, it would have required a different bios... maybe they simply wanted the connector but never used it?
Yes, the book keeping stuff is stored in the backup ram, but it can also be copied to a memory card and then transferred to a computer (so the arcade operator could easily check the income from all of his MVS machines at once). Check out the manual for the MV-1 on hardmvs.com (page 10). The feature was supported in the BIOS since release if I see this right.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Yes, the book keeping stuff is stored in the backup ram, but it can also be copied to a memory card and then transferred to a computer (so the arcade operator could easily check the income from all of his MVS machines at once). Check out the manual for the MV-1 on hardmvs.com (page 10). The feature was supported in the BIOS since release if I see this right.

You are 100% correct, I forgot about the special machine/reader the operator had, in order to collect logs.
Sounds like a good reason indeed... thanks!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I think I (and probably a lot of people, except from NeoTurfMasta and Raz) kept considering the primary function of the mem card was saving games levels.

While (almost) all games were coded supporting that features, not sll the cabs actually had the front slot available..I tend to see how much more important was collecting the incoming stats..a pretty unique and unprecedented system, I think at least until LAN connected cab like Naomi appeared...back then SNK really innovated the entertainment industry.