MVS Buttons! Which type is best?

Which type of buttons do you prefer on a mvs arcade cabby?

• Concave!

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Convex!

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Conwhat..?!

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Who cares...

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
I recently purchased some new sticks and buttons for my cabinet.. and was thinking... it originally came with concave buttons (when I bought it). I purchased convex ones. I think I like the convex ones but I'm not sure... so I figured I'd get other peoples' opinions on them. What do you guys prefer..?

And on a side note.. what did the big red mvs cabs originally come with, button wise..?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I prefer convex. But american cabs (like big reds) traditionally come with concave.

If you're not used to convex, give yourself some time to adjust...it's a different feel. But once you get used to it, I doubt you'll want to go back.

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
:)

I'm liking convex more so far. I think its easier on the fingers.. doesn't have that hard ridge around the edge. Going to hang on to my concave just in case tho.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
Convex here too. Just easier to tap buttons whichever way you want... While with concave ones, it feels like you have to push them in the middle, or something.

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
Looks like a dead heat between concave and convex with regards to the poll. =]

On a side note, have any of you tried the 'Perfect 360' joysticks from Happ? I have their competition ones and they work great, but was wondering how superior those Perfect 360s really were. Also, it appears they need power too. How would one go about wiring that sort of thing?

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Whether it's a NEO:GEO (BIG RED) or not, I've never cared for any button configuration EXCEPT Concave. Just like how I can't see how todays skaters can skate on those skinny ass boards. In the 80's it was concave board with some width to it. When I play an arcade game I need to feel those concave indentions in the buttons.

MERCENARY X99

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I like original equipment - concave for Big Reds and convex for Candys.

But since I grew up playing Big Reds, I guess I do have sort of a soft spot for concave buttons.

Gaelsano

Armored Scrum Object
Mercenary X99 said:
Whether it's a NEO:GEO (BIG RED) or not, I've never cared for any button configuration EXCEPT Concave. Just like how I can't see how todays skaters can skate on those skinny ass boards. In the 80's it was concave board with some width to it. When I play an arcade game I need to feel those concave indentions in the buttons.

MERCENARY X99

Word

Riob420

New Challenger
I can play on both so it doesn't really matter to me but I guess concave american style because big reds are dope.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Wow!! Ditto!!!!

galfordo said:
I like original equipment - concave for Big Reds and convex for Candys.

But since I grew up playing Big Reds, I guess I do have sort of a soft spot for concave buttons.

Same here...100% :buttrock:

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
Hmm.... looks like I may have to order another set of concave buttons too...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Hmkay said:
Convex here too. Just easier to tap buttons whichever way you want... While with concave ones, it feels like you have to push them in the middle, or something.

that only happens with vertical mounted switches

the horizontal ones never have this problem

i should know, been using horizontal mounted switches on concave buttons for a few years now

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Concave. I don't think I have ever even played on a cabinet with convex buttons. I think I could get used to it, just would never prefer it.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I like the convex buttons my self.
But ttooddddyy's post got me thinking...Does anybody actually make flat buttons?

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
HellioN said:
I like the convex buttons my self.
But ttooddddyy's post got me thinking...Does anybody actually make flat buttons?

You know Dreamarcades (www.dreamarcades.com), their "concave" buttons they sell are right in the middle of a concave and convex button. It's more flat on top that a real indention. Also the microswitches are like sanwa convex buttons, meaning they are built-in and really small. They are nice buttons, bought a pack of 20 for an arcade I was working on a year ago. Then later I purchased the Sanwa convex buttons. Wow, try the sanwas for a week and try to go back to the other buttons. Once you go Sanwa, you never go back.

1 Vote for Convex and my Neo29 >:D

cpbpink.jpg

Last edited:

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Sanwas.

Grew up playing concave, but I'm pulling moves off so much easier with convex/flat buttons. Less tiresome on the fingers, too.