MVS art sets: How can you tell if they're bootleg or original?

aclbandit

Another Striker
As the title states, I'm looking for info about telling the difference between SNK original MVS art sets and bootlegs/copies. There's TONS of info about boot vs. real MVS/AES carts, but info on art sets is relatively sparse.

For example, move list stickers: are they all "stickers," or were some shipped as just a piece of printed 'non-sticker'? (I have a set like this, and I'm not quite sure about it).

Note: if Boot/NoBoot is the wrong section, move it wherever. It seemed more fitting to me here than in General Discussion.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I haven't seen any moves lists that were not stickers, but tell us what game you have as it is much easier to clarify from there.

aclbandit

Another Striker
I haven't seen any moves lists that were not stickers, but tell us what game you have as it is much easier to clarify from there.

It's a Slug 4 art set. I'm just trying to figure out if it's original or not. The flyer is slightly thicker than the other flyers I have (which are usually sort of like magazine pages), and the moves list isn't a sticker. The mini seems to be more transparent than normal. Of course, this is SNK Playmore by the time Slug4 came out, so I thought that (since all of my other art sets are older stuff) perhaps they just started using cheaper materials.

Thoughts?

I can do pictures if you think it's needed, but outside of the mini marquee, the other items' weirdnesses aren't exactly photographable.

(Note: I didn't pay much for it, so it's no big loss if it isn't original -- I'm more curious than anything else)

Last edited:

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have a full kit of that at home. Will try and look at it tonight.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I have had a ton of MVS kit move lists(complete) whereas the move list was not a sticker and the mini marquee was made out of a I guess rice paper..
All Japanese Art kits though..nothing US... they came with the kits/and original carts.,boxes labels etc....
Stuff looked like it came straight from Japan as the seller had a ton of the games,kits,carts..

I still have lots of artwork kits,like this.. for lots of games such as Jap Stakes Winner 1 and 2..

Awhile back I sold some of these kits with the carts alone and noone really could tell me if they were real or not so I gave a break to the buyer.
There was a topic about this awhile back that I posted in but I don't remember the end results..

Other..
Some of the move lists I have and art have been Laminated such as SVC and KOF 02..I'd love to know how they do that..
Still stickers underneath just laminated.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
MS4 carts are not even really made by SNK Playmore either.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting at all here, but this whole subject is too picky for my taste. I don't really care about artsets to that degree. Loose carts are fine for me; anything more is a bonus.

aclbandit

Another Striker
MS4 carts are not even really made by SNK Playmore either.
Good point.
Maybe I shouldn't be posting at all here, but this whole subject is too picky for my taste. I don't really care about artsets to that degree. Loose carts are fine for me; anything more is a bonus.
Perhaps it is really picky, but I think there are more than likely at least a couple other people who would care.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Perhaps it is really picky, but I think there are more than likely at least a couple other people who would care.
On these forums, for sure. I can't count the number of times I was asked to make a price guide for full MVS kits.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Me> I care because it's a matter of if I make a sale,I don't want to sell someone something that is fake/reproduced not leget and think or say it is..

Right now I don't know if what I have in art is real or fake to sell them..

aclbandit

Another Striker
Good, looks like I'm not the only person who wants to know.

Anyone have any info about how to tell, though?