MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

TotalMoop

New Challenger
Any advice on the best make/ model SD card to use for these? I'm guessing that some models have slightly quicker access rates, which might help reduce the flash time for the NeoSD? Any advice gratefully received!

From reading this thread end to end along with the Tech Thread, these seem to rate highly for speed along with the 16GB versions as well.
Samsung Memory 32GB Pro Plus
SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB

But with the news from the NEOSD Team regarding the increased performance of the Flash method... I'm not sure the price difference between these and a good class 10 will make a huge difference.
Maybe save you 20 seconds on the largest stuff.

Just my 2p's worth.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
My review of the NEOSD is up!

Very nice review.

The flash time seems very manageable after watching the video.

I'd most likely flash the biggest game I play most often to have it ready to go. Then when I switch it shouldn't take as long.

Thanks!

Bunta714

n00b
I got my NeoSD in California before Christmas, so I had a little time to play around with it over the holiday break.

I've tried it out on 3 different MV-1C boards (1 Omega system, 2 regular boards) and 1 MV-1B board. All boards have Unibios 3.3 installed and have been consolized to casing extents.
The NeoSD works great on all the boards and I'm extremely happy with it.

Thanks for all the hard work in making such a great product, NeoSD team!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Just put up a video on the new firmware for the NEOSD:

Last edited:

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Just put up a new video on the new firmware for the NEOSD:

Like wow!

1.04 to 1.05.png

And considering this is with a cheap 32GB SD card like you stated I'd imagine it might get even better with a faster one. What are the specs on the one you bought? Do you remember read and write speeds?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Thanks for showing us what's coming :)

What did you use to capture the Neo's video? That video quality is very nice.

Jeff

Just put up a video on the new firmware for the NEOSD:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thanks for showing us what's coming :)

What did you use to capture the Neo's video? That video quality is very nice.

Jeff

The Neo is ran via rgb into the OSSC and then outputed via dvi to an elgato HD60.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

We plan to release the firmware for everyone about next week.

Yodd asked us for it some time ago when we still were doing modifications, so we promissed him to send it once we had it validated.

There are a lot of changes on the firmware, we will do a changelog explaining those.

Thanks

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hello,

Yodd asked us for it some time ago when we still were doing modifications, so we promissed him to send it once we had it validated.

There are a lot of changes on the firmware, we will do a changelog explaining those.

Thanks

I hope releasing this video was ok.

A changelog would be great.

neosd

Neosd Developer
np about that Yodd,

We dont ask anyone to make or not make videos :)

I just wanted to let the others know why you had it before (basically you asked about it some time ago )

Yes, we will add a changelog with the firmware, there are some things such as enter on test mode from menu (pushing start buttong on the launch last game) that are hard to notice without it.

It also adds mslugx correct protection emulation (not even mame has this)

Thanks

I hope releasing this video was ok.

A changelog would be great.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
You gained a lot of information from MAME. Return the favor and make sure to share what you learned with them too.

It also adds mslugx correct protection emulation (not even mame has this)
Thanks

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,

That card has 10mb/s write speed. I wonder how a Sandisk 90MB/s would perform. Obviously not 8 times better but it would be interesting to see if the new firmware boosts the performance of faster SD cards even more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-MicroSDHC-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B00Q4X8OLO/

The Neo is ran via rgb into the OSSC and then outputed via dvi to an elgato HD60.

HD60 is looking good. Did you use the bundled software to record the video? Great quality.

Hello,

Thanks

Thanks for the update and the changelog :)

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

Thats hard to realize what was before, the egg or the chicken ...

Mame got A LOT of free work from us before NEOSD, we never wanted to use this free work to sell more.

A part of the actual neogeo mame code is done by us, it would be pretty easy to tell that to rise sales. We never wanted something back for this work, this was done by the same reason we did NEOSD, we love the neogeo.

So yes, you can be sure that we will send mslugx code to mame and that we will keep contributing to MAME, cause we love it.
We will also send other corrections to mame, such ass fatal fury 2 protection that we found its bad implemented in MAME.

Thanks

You gained a lot of information from MAME. Return the favor and make sure to share what you learned with them too.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Awesome video Yodd! Dammmit! I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
@NEOSD

Might I suggest you update the NEOSD firmware to ignore files beginning with "." like hidden files?

Because when a Mac user copies the roms to the sd card, Mac OS automatically creates all those hidden . files that the user would normally not see.

And when you boot the SD card up on the NEOSD you get something like this:

taGcWvo.png

I realize your NEOSD tool is Windows only, but users might still copy the .neo files over to their sd card with a Mac. Or they might download a rom pack that already has all the files converted for them.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That card has 10mb/s write speed. I wonder how a Sandisk 90MB/s would perform. Obviously not 8 times better but it would be interesting to see if the new firmware boosts the performance of faster SD cards even more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-MicroSDHC-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B00Q4X8OLO/

As a test I picked up a Sandisk Extreme Plus card today.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extr...13&sr=8-6&keywords=sandisk+extreme+plus+32+gb

Here are the results:

cVlqAkb.png

Not terribly extreme. And the flash numbers weren't consistent with this card. Sometimes they were several seconds longer than the cheap micro sd card. Sometimes a little faster. One time when flashing Slug X the Sandisk card took 20 seconds longer than the cheap-o card.

So save your money on the mucho pricey cards. They aren't worth it.

HD60 is looking good. Did you use the bundled software to record the video? Great quality.

Yep.

manic23

n00b
@NEOSD

Might I suggest you update the NEOSD firmware to ignore files beginning with "." like hidden files?

Because when a Mac user copies the roms to the sd card, Mac OS automatically creates all those hidden . files that the user would normally not see.

And when you boot the SD card up on the NEOSD you get something like this:

I realize your NEOSD tool is Windows only, but users might still copy the .neo files over to their sd card with a Mac. Or they might download a rom pack that already has all the files converted for them.

Yodd, why not try an application like Eject for Windows, http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/decafish/EjectForWindows/EjectForWindowsE.html

This puts an icon on your Mac desktop that you can use to drag a volume over, this will automaticity delete all those annoying . files that OSX creates before ejecting the volume. Works great I have been using it for a while.

Last edited: