MV-1 Battery Replacement/Mod which Components do I remove?

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I'm sure the answer is in front of me but which component do I remove when I do the MVS Batttery Mod for an MV-1, I got the infamous green screen last night so I plan on replacing the crystal (I think thats what it's called) and swapping out the battery for a non-rechargable one.

I checked out Xian's Jamma Nation X but I only see the tutorial for MV1-AX

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
All you need to do is remove the 470 ohm resistor located near the battery.

Fortune

Zero's Secretary
Yes, the 470 ohm resistor by the battery. It's close to the dip switches, and right next to the diode.

On the MV-1, there are 2 positive solder points for that battery like on many of the other boards. Unlike most of the other boards, the two points aren't connected. The outer one is isolated, and needs to be bridged to the other positive point if being used.

zapatistab

Thank you!

Too lazy to go to the store...ordered the Battery Mod Kit from Xian's site

Last edited:

zapatistab

On the MV-1, there are 2 positive solder points for that battery like on many of the other boards. Unlike most of the other boards, the two points aren't connected. The outer one is isolated, and needs to be bridged to the other positive point if being used.

Excuse my ignorance but are you referring to the original battery...it has two positive solder points?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
He's talking about two holes on the pcb itself. They should both be connected to each other. It's not an either or situation. SNK did this so they could mount either styles of battery (axial or radial) without much effor.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On some of the older boards, the two holes are actually not connected. I really don't know why they weren't but early SNK always had routing problems so it doesn't surprise me that someone didn't connect them.

zapatistab

Thanks again for the advice...Mod was successful and swapped out the Chrystal. PCB is good as new.