Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Just watched Dawn of the Dead after watching Day of the Dead two days ago and I really can't get enough of these George A. Romero zombie, or ghoul, movies. I'm gonna watch The Crazies next which seems interesting in its premise, I never watched any of his other movies so lets see how it goes.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just watched Dawn of the Dead after watching Day of the Dead two days ago and I really can't get enough of these George A. Romero zombie, or ghoul, movies. I'm gonna watch The Crazies next which seems interesting in its premise, I never watched any of his other movies so lets see how it goes.
Check out Knightriders if you have a chance. Good Taiso review about that one.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Watch the original Crazies before the remake. I did enjoy both.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
His non zombie movies are hit or miss but there are some real gems in there.

You can stop with the Dead movies at Land of the Dead which is already a low but after that it gets embarrassing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dude, seriously?
I'm less shocked about his opinion of Re-Animator than I am about the fact it seems like he somehow had never seen it before now. That is wild, considering his fandom of HPL and his taste in movies in general.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Random weird shit I suppose.

Shazam: Fury of the Gods: not bad, but also not anywhere near as charming as the first one. The cameos are by far the best part (both the in-movie one and the credits one, way to shit on the rest of film guys!), and that makes it pretty clear that this will not be much missed in the Gunn-pocalypse. Does make me wanna see Peacemaker S2 sooner than later, though.

The Price We Pay: Hirsch and Dorff cast opposite the usual makes for a decent enough heist/Chainsaw Massacre ripoff. Hirsch, in particular, is clearly very much enjoying chewing the scenery like he's fucking Jaws, and it works, oddly enough. The ending is bonkers and just keeps going and going somehow doesn't outstay its welcome. Worth spending 85 minutes on.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: yeah, still a classic. The final act though, IMO, is easily the weakest part of the movie, when it relies on hammy performances instead of the "holy shit that dude just got murdered in 10 seconds" factor of the rest of the movie. Grandpa rules.

House of the Devil (rewatch): Ti West may be the best horror movie maker going right now, he just doesn't do volume. This, X, Pearl, cameo in You're Next, underrated (though yes unnecessary) Cabin Fever remake, not much else, he makes good stuff. HotD is still really, really good. Third time or so that I've watched it and still not remotely bored. Not a single shot is wasted, excellent sense of escalating tension.

The Endless (rewatch): I ended up appreciating this much more on second watch, had a better feel, I guess, for what they were going for with the story and performances. Really, really good. Will join Convergence, Primer, and Upstream Color on my annual-ish rewatch list (yes I know there are those that might take issue with the last one on that list in particular).

Terrifier (rewatch): I think I left your oven on too. It's bad. The sequel is better, I think, but only because the kills are more creative. Dumb as hell, don't bother once, let alone a second time.

Fast 9: fuck me, people spend time and money to watch these fucking things? Diesel's character is basically Challenger Jesus, Letty is invincible Tec-9 Mary, and everyone that's ever been a bad guy in the series is somehow now on Dom's side. I thought maybe John Cena and Luda and Tyrese could get me through it but no, this is fucking terrible. The series is so, so bad. It's MCU, but also crack addict level of ADHD. Seeing Fast X bomb and lose money like it's currently doing is just nice to see. Will Universal have the balls to tell Vin to fuck off and stop losing their money? Well probably not but we can dream of a just world where Vin Diesel had to keep his birth name.
I think the fast series makes bank especially in China and watch X

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'm less shocked about his opinion of Re-Animator than I am about the fact it seems like he somehow had never seen it before now. That is wild, considering his fandom of HPL and his taste in movies in general.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. He watches a lot of horror and misc. weird stuff. Though I have seen him praise some seriously questionable stuff over the years.

I can understand Re-Animator not living up to the hype and being disappointed but to outright shit on it and Jeffery Combs. I just don't understand how you can not enjoy his performance in that even little.

jro is a weird dude.

• keke
Reactions: wyo

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. He watches a lot of horror and misc. weird stuff. Though I have seen him praise some seriously questionable stuff over the years.

I can understand Re-Animator not living up to the hype and being disappointed but to outright shit on it and Jeffery Combs. I just don't understand how you can not enjoy his performance in that even little.

jro is a weird dude.
To be fair, almost all of us are. I say almost because I'm sure there are exceptions, although I can't think of any of the top of my head.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Violent Night- I don't know who this is for. I enjoyed David Harbour's performance and all the violence but everything else was terrible. I was expecting the sappy family stuff to be more tongue in cheek but it's actually just straight up saccharine drivel. You can't have it both ways and the two opposites just don't work together at all. The one interesting aspect of the entire movie was Santa having been a Viking raider and they didn't do shit with that except explain why he can use a hammer so well. Wasted opportunity. Honestly it was about what I expected it to be mediocre, sappy and dumb. Still worth a watch I guess just don't expect too much.

Krampus is a far better movie in every way.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member

jro is a weird dude.
Jeffery Combs makes the movie. Love the psycho inspired main theme. I Haven't watch bride of or beyond reanimator, those are on the list.

Not sure I was a fan From Beyond though, a little bit too gonzo for me I guess.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Jeffrey Combs gets the credit because he had the juiciest role (comic foil, most of the best lines) but that movie is carried by Barbara Crampton (and David Gale to a lesser extent) for me.

In addition to being gorgeous and a total trooper (the original chick they hired for the movie backed out because of the "head" scene), she makes the absolute most out of a girlfriend/damsel role that would be completely forgettable in almost any other 80s horror movie. Strong while still vulnerable, good screamer without being shrill or obnoxious... some of that stuff's on the page but when Bruce Abbott's desperately trying to save her at the end, you actually feel it despite the previous 20 minutes being completely ludicrous and I give her a lot of the credit for that.

I would agree that From Beyond isn't nearly as strong (the story's kind of all over the place) but you watch that one more for the bonkers practical fx (and Barbara Crampton in the dom outfit).

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Left Behind is the shittiest incredible film I have seen in years. Ridiculously ambitious and badly written with decent production values and a strong performance by Cage. A bunch of golden bollocks.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
His non zombie movies are hit or miss but there are some real gems in there.

You can stop with the Dead movies at Land of the Dead which is already a low but after that it gets embarrassing.
I remember watching Land once and thinking it was alright, but I don't know if I would watch it again these days after getting so familiar with the original trilogy.

I dunno, I think Crazies is more of a miss than a hit, I like his commentary on the ineptitude of authorities and the fact that you can't tell at points if the people fighting the army men are infected or just reacting to their aggression, but this movie suffers from a visible lack of budget for what it was trying to do. Charming but not a good movie IMO.

Check out Knightriders if you have a chance. Good Taiso review about that one.
It does seem like my kind of movie, I have to check it out.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yah I was not in the mindset to properly appreciate either. Crampton was fine but Combs just made me hate every scene. Now I'm gonna have to rewatch both completely sober you degenerates!

Edit who tf am I kidding that's not happening the second part I mean.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Into the Inferno- Documentary about volcanos by Werner Herzog. Since it's by Herzog so you know it's not going to be an ordinary documentary. It's not so much about volcanos and vulcanology as it is about the civilizations and cultures that surround them. He travels across the world and visits a few major volcanos and interviews the local people and explores what the volcano means to them and their culture. He goes to the south pacific, Ethiopia, Iceland, Indonesia and North Korea. The North Korea part is pretty weird.

There's some great footage of volcano stuff but not nearly as much as I was expecting. It's mainly interviews and history, which I thought wasn't all that interesting. Also Herzog doesn't do the interviewing, instead he has a friend do it and he's just terrible at it. He should have done it himself or gotten an anthropologist. It really hampers the whole thing.

If you're expecting awesome footage set to classical music and Herzog's voice narrating you into a trance this is not that.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Scream / Scream 2 - 4k Blu Ray - the originals and the best by a country mile, I just can't get over that they're 25 years old now, getting on toward 30 - where has the time gone? Anyway, great scripts from Kevin Williamson, and superb direction from Wes Craven - more than proving he can create films that have a more commerical slant to them than the pure horror of his earlier work.
Both films have a great cast, some of whom went on to much bigger things, others who sadly seemed to have slipped into obscurity. Very entertaining, well worth watching even if you're not really into the slasher genre (I'm not), the violence isn't particularly visceral, and I'm still sad they killed off Jamie Kennedy's character.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Revenge of the Ninja- The second in Cannon's Ninja trilogy starring Sho Kosugi and maybe the best. It's Cannon so it's cheap, dumb and a little racist. But it's also got tons of action, violence and a goofy 80s charm. Definitely has that classic 80s VHS rental nostalgia vibe. This one goes pretty hard on the actual ninja angle and there's ton of weapons and goofy ninja techniques. Some of the fight choreography is pretty legit. Overall it's pretty entertaining and still holds up a lot better than a majority of 80s ninja movies made in the US. I will say I don't think it's entertaining as Ninja III: The Domination though as that one is just so bizarre and manages to entertains on multiple levels.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Revenge of the Ninja- The second in Cannon's Ninja trilogy starring Sho Kosugi and maybe the best. It's Cannon so it's cheap, dumb and a little racist. But it's also got tons of action, violence and a goofy 80s charm. Definitely has that classic 80s VHS rental nostalgia vibe. This one goes pretty hard on the actual ninja angle and there's ton of weapons and goofy ninja techniques. Some of the fight choreography is pretty legit. Overall it's pretty entertaining and still holds up a lot better than a majority of 80s ninja movies made in the US. I will say I don't think it's entertaining as Ninja III: The Domination though as that one is just so bizarre and manages to entertains on multiple levels.

I remember my parents rented this back when I was a kid. I've since seen it several times, great flick. But I remember all through my teenage years I remembered two things about it:

1. The scene where the couple in the hot tub get murdered and the chicks tits.
2. When Sho's character finally defeats the white ninja dude and blood just FLOWS for like 20 years.

I remember I found it on VHS when I was probably 15 or 16 and watched it with my friends, and it was actually edited to where the spurting blood was removed, it just showed the initial blow, and cuts to the dude on the floor with blood all over the place, but no geyser.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I remember I found it on VHS when I was probably 15 or 16 and watched it with my friends, and it was actually edited to where the spurting blood was removed, it just showed the initial blow, and cuts to the dude on the floor with blood all over the place, but no geyser.
Oh man that's lame. It was indeed a proper blood fountain for sure.

The movie is awesomely corny. All the random thugs are ridiculous caricatures, one gang is pretty much just the Village People lol. Also lots of white guys in bad stereotype makeup that are supposed to be minorities. When the blonde chick is rescued by Sho's kid and she gets out of the hot tub and all of her clothes are completely see through and the kid is just standing there awkwardly starring at her and she fumbles to put a robe on was hilarious. Simpler times.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Death Becomes Her- Kind of a guilty pleasure but I honestly think it's a pretty well made and clever movie. Great cast, I wish Bruce Willis had done more oddball roles like this. Goldie Hawn and Meryl Streep have great chemistry together and Isabella Rossellini is perfect as the evil enchantress selling immortality. It's very well shot, it's quite stylish without going overboard. There's a lot more effects than I remembered and while some of them haven't aged all that well they're still effective and entertaining. It's a shame that Robert Zemeckis stopped making anything interesting or fun after the mid 90s., he was on quite a roll there for about a decade.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Great cast, I wish Bruce Willis had done more oddball roles like this.
I think he out oddballed himself with Hudson Hawk... I'm still surprised he did this... although he did appear in North and Breakfast of Champions iirc, neither of which did well at the box office.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, I think Bruce chose making money over making interesting artistic choices after about the 5th bomb in a row. Didn't want to go back to being a bartender.