Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bram Stoker's Dracula- Keanu is way out of his depth here, I'll just get that out of the way upfront. That said he actually has very little screen time so it's really not that big of a deal. Winona Ryder certainly looks the part but she's also punching above her weight here. Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins are both excellent but they are chewing the scenery big time. The dialogue is also very awkward and it's just a weird and very theatrical piece, lets be honest the movie is very flawed. But man does it look good, what a production. The sets, costumes, lighting and optical effects are all amazing. Honestly I think with a little bit more editing and restraint it could have been a classic, as it is though it's just an incredibly interesting and unique misfire. Though a highly entertaining and visually dazzling one.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
More re-watches and streaming list cleanup, (neither a bad thing) -

Frozen (I stopped trying to come up with a good non-Disney reference when I realized it was gonna be incredibly offensive and that lots of small children read these boards and are molded by what's posted on them) - Adam Reed basically decides to make a real movie and it's actually also really good. Solid enough casting with Ashmore and Bell both doing a nice job with a pretty challenging script. Holds up really well to both time and repeated viewing.

Hatchet - eh, not bad, but not what its reputation would have you believe. Kind of a tongue-in-cheek (not not enough, as mentioned later) love letter to Friday the Thirteenth, etc. Kane Hodder's even the star.

Hatchet 2 - Making Tony Todd the focus here was a good idea, but it still doesn't make the movie any good at all. Danielle Harris is also unfortunately featured, and I'm sorry, but she's not a good actress at all, scream queen bonafides aside. I liked the AJ Bowen cameo (Where TF were Joe Swanberg and Amy Seimetz?!) but not remotely enough to make the movie worth watching. Dunno how a third one got greenlit after this waste. There were multiple scenes that made me actively dislike the acting and took me completely out of the movie (the uncle, who in the hell thought that guy could act?) That final kill on RZ, I gotta admit that that's inspired stuff.

Hatchet 3 - It's... okay? Better than 2 at least I guess. Liking the Parry Shen is unkillable gimmick at least I suppose. And it's good that it's basically just gore, gore, gore first, movie second. Again, Danielle Harris did not help.

Victor Crowley - And then Green got a second (ish) chance and got it right (!, this is what Hatchet should have been). From "make the other one out to my dad, his name is Bill with a B" and "why won't you sign my cock?!" to "I have a dick" and "I would have had your babies!", I gotta admit that I genuinely laughed out loud at the script more than once in this one. The plot also happened to be better than in the others, VC stalking survivors on small area works a lot better than people trying to find him. For real, after kind of soldiering through 2 and 3 and being underwhelmed/annoyed, VC was really fun. Probably not for non-fans of the genre, but if you are, very much worth a watch.

Train to Busan: Peninsula - quite a pivot from the original, but it really does work. Good story, solid characters (the girls and their mom, c'mon), good zombie action, top tier in the genre if not quite the icon the original is.

Would You Rather - sort of in the 13 Sins vibe I think, it's very unpleasant and it's about people making bad decisions for money. This is maybe mildly superior to that, I think, in that it's much more focused and (relatively, obviously) believable. Nasty ending (like it wouldn't be!) and some very good evidence as to why Sasha Grey is not a mainstream actor.

Held - maaaaan..... solid setup, very stupid "twist." Don't watch this.

The Batman - I was thinking that I had definitely liked this the first time I watched it, I dunno, couple of years ago or whatever. It holds up really, really well to a rewatch now. I still think Pattinson is the best Batman (helped out immensely by Reeves' directing), but it's the rest of the cast and the script that really makes it sing. Kravitz is good as Selina, Wright is awesome as Gordon, Torturro is really good as Falcone, Dano is great as Riddler, Farrell is great as Oswald, Serkis is awesome as Alfred. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing The Flash and I hope it does like Gunn says it will and reset the DCEU slate, but Reeves' take on The Batman is, IMO at least, the best thing going in comic/superhero movies right now.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah Victor Crowley is surprisingly fun after the slog that 2 and 3 are.

Would You Rather is a weird one, it's not good by any definition of the word but it's strangely interesting. I mean Jeffery Combs, Sasha Grey and Ricky from TPB is quite a cast.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Air- Pretty good. Damon and Affleck both do a good job, Viola Davis does her thing and it was nice to see Chris Tucker again. I thought it was a good idea to not give Jordan any dialogue or really even show him. It's very 80's, maybe a bit too 80's. I don't think younger people will ever understand just how big Jordan was and how much the sports world changed because of him and the people behind him. I'd recommend this even if you don't care about Nike or Jordan.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bird with the Crystal Plumage- Argento's directorial debut and a pretty solid one. While it's not as crazy as some of his other work it establishes a lot of elements that would become his staples. It's nowhere near as visually striking as the later style he's known for it's still a decent looking movie and a lot of the camera work is quite interesting and would be copied for years. It's also much more straight forward as a murder mystery than a lot of later giallo, though it still has the big twist ending the genre is known for. Overall a pretty impressive debut.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Orphan

A couple grieving over a stillborn child adopt a seemingly perfect girl into their family. Her past is a bit unknown and accidents start happening. Will mom find out the truth in time?

It's okay and the young actress does a great job.

I mainly watched it because there's a sequel so I hoped the first wouldn't be too bad.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
@jro apparently the episode titles for Mrs Davis were created by an AI algorithm/large language model according to a story I heard on NPR.

Edit: oops thought I was in the TV thread.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Army of Darkness- While I can't watch the original ED trilogy as obsessively as I used to as a teenager I still appreciate them every time I do and this one is probably my most watched. I love everything about it. The crappy effects, slapstick, lack of budget it all manages to somehow improve the movie. I will never get tired of crappy skeleton puppets whether they're hastily strapped to the back of a horse or someone just off screen throwing them a Bruce Campbell to clumsily pummel. Campbell's physical comedy is top notch and his face acting is incredible. There's just so much to love about here. I can'r say it's better than ED 2 but I find it a bit more watchable and I love the idea of Ash sent back to medieval times and having to deal with other people as much as Deadites.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Army of Darkness- While I can't watch the original ED trilogy as obsessively as I used to as a teenager I still appreciate them every time I do and this one is probably my most watched. I love everything about it. The crappy effects, slapstick, lack of budget it all manages to somehow improve the movie. I will never get tired of crappy skeleton puppets whether they're hastily strapped to the back of a horse or someone just off screen throwing them a Bruce Campbell to clumsily pummel. Campbell's physical comedy is top notch and his face acting is incredible. There's just so much to love about here. I can'r say it's better than ED 2 but I find it a bit more watchable and I love the idea of Ash sent back to medieval times and having to deal with other people as much as Deadites.
I watched the trilogy around 8th grade I think and AoD was such a disappointment coming off ED2. But I really should give it a second chance.

The box art captivated me for such a long time in Blockbuster, always checking it out in the aisle but never daring to rent as a kid under 10 years old.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You can't look at it so much as ED 3 but more like an homage to all the stuff that Rami and his buddies loved growing up loosely using the ED story. I mean 2 has some comedy but AOD is full on slapstick, it's a totally different type of movie.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Air- Pretty good. Damon and Affleck both do a good job, Viola Davis does her thing and it was nice to see Chris Tucker again. I thought it was a good idea to not give Jordan any dialogue or really even show him. It's very 80's, maybe a bit too 80's. I don't think younger people will ever understand just how big Jordan was and how much the sports world changed because of him and the people behind him. I'd recommend this even if you don't care about Nike or Jordan.
I'm waiting for an Air Max movie :(

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'm waiting for an Air Max movie :(
Yeah I was never much of a Jordans guy. I've had a couple pairs over the years but was never really wild about them except when I was a kid and they were new. I really like the Air Max 90-97 but they don't fit my weird flat feet very well and their sizing isn't very consistent.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Nemisis - blu ray - early 90s action sci-fi B-movie from the director of Cyborg (Albert Pyun) and starring Olivier Gruner... some great action sequences, but the plot is fairly incoherent, although that almost doesn't matter. Also features some very shonky CGI, at least I think it's CGI... it may be rotoscoped animation... but is still shonky. Features the great Brion James, who for some inexpliacable reason speaks with a German accent, Tim Thomerson, and Cary Hioryuki Tagawa (who seemed to be in everything during this period).

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I watched the Airport trilogy from the 70s.

The first one is too dated, the second one is too dull, the third one is just right. In the third a plane crashes in the Bermuda triangle and is stuck on the botton of the ocean hanging over the edge of a deep sea trench. That's the level of stupidity I can get behind.

These movies are all terrible, just unbelievably dated in the worst way. There's casual racism, socially acceptable alcoholism and they're all incredibly mysoginistic. There are way too many side plots for what should be straight forward disaster movies and a lot of them involve children and singing nuns. The only upside to these is catching all the stuff that Airplane directly parodied and the casts. The casts are incredible and baffling, here's a just a few people that show up throughout the series:

Charlton Heston, Burt Lancaster, Jack Lemmon, Dean Martin, George Kennedy, Jacqueline Bisset, Myrna Loy, Jean Seberg, Karen Black, Linda Blair, Sid Caesar, Jerry Stiller, Joseph Cotten, Olivia DeHaviland, Christopher Lee and a shitload more. It's fucking crazy.

Apparently there's a fourth one Concord: Airport 79 but I think three was enough.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Charlton Heston, Burt Lancaster, Jack Lemmon, Dean Martin, George Kennedy, Jacqueline Bisset, Myrna Loy, Jean Seberg, Karen Black, Linda Blair, Sid Caesar, Jerry Stiller, Joseph Cotten, Olivia DeHaviland, Christopher Lee and a shitload more. It's fucking crazy.
But how could anyone ever forget award-winning singer songwriter Helen Reddy as Sister Ruth?!?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Strangers: Prey at Night - I still really adore the original. It's basically, IMO, the first of the terror movies, i.e. home invasion-slash-realistic nasty shit that's also scary as hell (I also saw it with my ex-wife, yes, that one, at the theater and she complained about it on the way home, and I was like, well, yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about if I ever wanted to kill you I'd do it myself it would be so much cleaner Christ what do you take me for an idiot) anyway, it's quite good. Bertino doesn't make a lot of movies, but he picks good ones. The pacing, in particular, is really, really good. Takes a while, like 45 minutes, to get going. Then it just goes up, and more up, and more until it's in crazyville. The third act (and post) are maybe a bit too far, but, honestly, it works for the movie I think. The soundtrack is so good. Holds up to rewatch much better than a lot of the genre, absolutely recommended.

Goddamnit I am apparently retarded at this board typing thing. WHY NOT is a great line, please make more movies Bryan Bertino.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
My Bloody Valentine- I watched this a few months ago and did not enjoy it very much but was recently informed that was the highly censored theatrical cut. So I gave the unrated version a watch last night. The gore (some of which was excellent) did manage to improve the movie quite a bit.

It wasn't a revelation or anything but it helped. It's still a standard slasher, the characters are still awful and there's no nudity. It did however make it extremely satisfying to see all the horrible characters get brutally killed. Goddamn are they annoying though, like some hybrid of the Sweathogs from Welcome Back Cotter and the guys from The Deer Hunter. Just a weird choice. I am not a fan of 80s party animal shenanigans and that's a huge chunk of the movie.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
MBV was one of those movies at Blockbuster that I would look at the box art and always think of renting but too scared because I was like 9 years old. I eventually rented it in middle school and liked it quite a lot, even getting excited for the shitty 3D remake. That ending scene where the guy is screaming alone in the mine creeped me out.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
My Bloody Valentine- I watched this a few months ago and did not enjoy it very much but was recently informed that was the highly censored theatrical cut. So I gave the unrated version a watch last night. The gore (some of which was excellent) did manage to improve the movie quite a bit.

It wasn't a revelation or anything but it helped. It's still a standard slasher, the characters are still awful and there's no nudity. It did however make it extremely satisfying to see all the horrible characters get brutally killed. Goddamn are they annoying though, like some hybrid of the Sweathogs from Welcome Back Cotter and the guys from The Deer Hunter. Just a weird choice. I am not a fan of 80s party animal shenanigans and that's a huge chunk of the movie.
It was made in Canada so you have to cut it some slack.