Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Also binged on Zatoichi. Pretty much perfect. You can have that shown to newer audiences today and they would lap it up. Has aged right

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 - I had zero expectations and no idea of what was going to happen. Marvel movies are gay and I never rewatch them, but I liked the first and second one so thought why not. Unfortunately not as good as them, and no memorable scenes. They had the kid from that "You guys are getting paid?" meme as Adam Warlock and he stole every scene he was in, it's a shame he was the B-plot. Some parts felt like something out of Venture Bros. I'm glad I spent a Saturday night at the movie theater and got to watch it but am suspicious of all the very high reviews it's getting.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think I’m done with the MCU. They had a great thing through Endgame and now it’s just meandering nonsense with zero arc in sight.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Oh definitely. I am still surprised Black Panther 2 came and went with zero fanfare here. But this movie wraps up everyone's character arcs. It's a very bittersweet ending.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
12 Monkeys- I really like a lot of Terry Gilliam's work but I have some issues with this one. First of all Brad Pitt is fucking terrible, he certainly didn't deserve an academy award nomination or a golden globe win. Second I don't know if it's because it's based off of another movie but there are chunks that just don't feel like Gilliam at all. He proved with Fisher King that he can do more grounded drama and dialogue but this just doesn't seem to be on that level for those types of scenes. It just feels off a lot of the time. I know it's supposed to be disjointed and manic but I don't think it flows properly.

That being said the stuff that works does it well. The style Gilliam is known for in all the time traveling and future segments is great. The use of large buildings and densely populated urban areas that have that particular look and chaotic feel of civilization about to implode on itself. The bizarre gadgetry, technology and authoritarian presence is straight out of Brazil. There's a lot to like I just don't think it's as well crafted and fully realized as his earlier work. I hadn't seen this in years and while I'm glad I re-watched it I'm a little disappointed it didn't capture my imagination the way I hoped it would.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The Offering - eh, maybe I'm just not one for Jewish horror. Blah, not recommended at all.

Movie is doo doo. Go watch The Vigil if you're interested in a horror movie about Hasidic Jews.

Reactions: jro

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The Game
It felt like if Philip K. Dick wrote a non-sci-fi story (or just de-sci-fied Total Recall / We Can Remember It for You Wholesale). It was stupid and fun, and had that washed out, grungy Fincher vibe that feels almost made for TV and 10 years out of date. I really hate Seven (I like Zodiac and [hate to admit it but] Fight Club), and thought this was sort of a step up from Seven in terms of being actually enjoyable. Though "stupid and fun" isn't exactly what Fincher is known for.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Police Story - blu ray - This was probably quite the spectacle back in 1985, but today it just feels meh to me. Yes, the action scenes are very well done and are still entertaining, but the slap stick elements that interweave these action sequences is sooooooo dated. I appreciate what Jackie Chan does, but I've never been a big fan, and this film does nothing to change that. However, when I get time I'll take a look at the different cuts and see if they leave more of an impression... as for the original Cantonese version, I won't be rushing back to rewatch that.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Police Story - blu ray - This was probably quite the spectacle back in 1985, but today it just feels meh to me. Yes, the action scenes are very well done and are still entertaining, but the slap stick elements that interweave these action sequences is sooooooo dated. I appreciate what Jackie Chan does, but I've never been a big fan, and this film does nothing to change that. However, when I get time I'll take a look at the different cuts and see if they leave more of an impression... as for the original Cantonese version, I won't be rushing back to rewatch that.
Watch Crime Story.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Watch Crime Story.
If he didn’t like Police Story, he won’t like Crime Story either. There are a few good action scenes but the pacing is poor.

I’d say check out Project A or Drunken Master instead.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The Game
It felt like if Philip K. Dick wrote a non-sci-fi story (or just de-sci-fied Total Recall / We Can Remember It for You Wholesale). It was stupid and fun, and had that washed out, grungy Fincher vibe that feels almost made for TV and 10 years out of date. I really hate Seven (I like Zodiac and [hate to admit it but] Fight Club), and thought this was sort of a step up from Seven in terms of being actually enjoyable. Though "stupid and fun" isn't exactly what Fincher is known for.

Are you referring to the one with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If he didn’t like Police Story, he won’t like Crime Story either. There are a few good action scenes but the pacing is poor.

I’d say check out Project A or Drunken Master instead.
He said he didn't like the slapstick and Jackie's brand of comedy. Crime Story doesn't have any of that.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
So late to the party on this but I just watched Kingsman for the first time, this fucking scene, holy shit:

The story was so so but the movie was fun. Good turn your brain off and watch a bunch of action scenes type movie.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So late to the party on this but I just watched Kingsman for the first time, this fucking scene, holy shit:

The story was so so but the movie was fun. Good turn your brain off and watch a bunch of action scenes type movie.

Second one was meh. Third one (a prequel with Ralph Fienes) isn't too bad though. I enjoyed the first one for what was for sure. Never read the comics but I want to check em out.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I watched 2003’s Paycheck. It’s like a shitty cross between Total Recall and Minority Report but directed by John Woo and starring Ben Affleck.

Absolute stinker, couldn’t even be saved by Uma Thurman who played the (mostly) helpless love interest.

I mean even the action was terrible (somehow the main character is like an expert at fighting with a…staff?) except for a single motorcycle and car chase sequence. I’ve been enjoying chase sequences in older films because they’re so devoid of CGI nonsense and Fast and The Furious Gear/Pedal/Steering Wheel closeups.

It’s like they actually have stunt men driving cars, real cars actually crashing, hitting each other, etc.

The only redeeming thing of the film is I saw a firearm I wasn’t familiar with and learned about a cool single shot conversion for a 1911 pistol.

I also recently watched Arnold’s Raw Deal (someone mentioned it awhile back) and, again, the only aspect I really liked were the car chases. Couple decent shootouts as well but otherwise forgettable.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
El Camino- Somehow I hadn't watched this and since I recently finished Saul I figured I'd just wrap up the entire BB saga. It was good, more like a giant episode than a movie but I was okay with that. Nice to see Jesse finally get some justice.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Guardians de la Galaxie, Vol. 3 - Like a lot of people, this was one of the only Marvel things left I was still curious about. The first two Guardians movies were fun and didn't get overly bogged down in the Marvel morass. Plus I've always dug James Gunn's particular brand of weirdness. Plus the writing up to this point hadn't been shit.

Anyways, this one was totally fine. I think I might prefer it over the second one (I seem to recall souring on that movie over time but I only watched it once and have forgotten large swaths of it). The constant undercutting of anything emotionally complex with a joke works better in these movies than in the other ones (likely because it's better written) but there are definitely a few groaners in this one. Once again, that could just be my being burnt out on this formula. The musical interludes got a little too numerous and on the nose for my taste (especially in the first half) and some of the characters have become one note (Drax, in particular, just got completely flanderized along the way). Adam Warlock is amusing at points but is largely just another Drax.

That said, it was nice to see characters' arcs get wrapped up neatly for the most part, all of the Cronenberg-ian flesh abominations in a giant budget Disney movie was... refreshing and there's some pretty smart writing choices along the way. Decent villain too (enjoyed how he presents himself as the calm, erudite super-genius but the second anything goes remotely not his way he becomes a screaming, petulant bitch... not unlike real narcissists). The relatively small stakes with no universe destroying maguffins. Very minimal autistic CG festivals save for one brief sequence in the final act.

Spoiler:
In any other big-budget movie made for drooling idiots, they would've stapled Quill and Gamora back together by the end of the movie. Giving this Gamora a different arc where she grows to appreciate the Guardians but has her own path and her own family is how you smartly subvert expectations and, god forbid, write a complex character. Well, complex for this kind of movie.

So yeah, all in all, mildly positive but that might just be because I have such low expectations for capeshit at this point. Or maybe it's the opposite. Who knows... anyway. don't give a whiff of a shit about anything Marvel's up to until Deadpool 3, I guess? Back to not giving a fuck!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I watched 2003’s Paycheck. It’s like a shitty cross between Total Recall and Minority Report but directed by John Woo and starring Ben Affleck.
TBF it is a PKD story.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Paycheck... man, I forgot all about that movie (like everyone else I think) - isn't that the one that made John Woo leave Hollywood?

Anyhoo - Police Story 2 - it'll be a total surprise to absolutely no one that I feel virtually the same way about this as I do about the first Police Story. It's just too damn slow for an action film, but the action sequences are very good and I enjoyed the fight at the end of the film. I'll check out Crime Story at some point, but for now I've had enough Jackie Chan.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Power Rangers - Always and Forever (I think I got the title right) The BS Netflix movie/reunion thing. Sweet baby jesus. I mean, Power Rangers is terrible, but nothing can prepare you for how god-awful this is. I FF'd through most...unwatchable. Power Rangers was a guilty pleasure in high school, and I dig Tokusatsu/Kaiju shit in general...but wow...still in disbelief how bad this was.

Reactions: wyo