Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Could have sworn someone talked about Everything Everywhere All at Once on this page but I could be mistaken. Watched it tonite and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

If had to complain about something, (I think this was even mentioned in the other post by someone), it was the rapid-fire language swapping dialogue between the characters. I mean it's 100% realistic to see how the Wang family talks to each other dipping in and out of Chinese and English. Part of my family is 2nd Gen Mexican-American and they do that all the time. But it was really fast and sort of discombobulating when trying to get all the dialogue in my earballs.

Still though, 4/5 stars. Michelle Yeoh once again proves she's awesome. I had no idea it was written/directed by the same dudes that did Swiss Army Man, which I rather enjoyed as well.

Also wik, last night I watched Misery with the missus. I'd never seen it, though I knew what it was about because it's been nearly 35 years so how could I not by now. But it was really great. I always really liked Kathy Bates because of Fried Green Tomatoes, but she was awesome as Annie Wilkes. Very rad movie. 5/5 for me.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I think I was the one that mentioned EEAAO last. I've been thinking about it quite a lot since I watched it, it's just so fucking well made. I think this is one I'll have to pick up on 4k. It looks amazing and I really want some behind the scenes info on how they did some things.

Misery is awesome, it's definitely one of those well known movies that people don't watch because they assume they already know what it's like.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Jurassic World : Dominion
What a mess. I feel like it was put together by the same team as Rise of Skywalker. There is no reason for 75% of the cast, but they MacGuffined them together for whatever reasons. It plays out like bad fan fiction. I'm glad they use a lot of practical effects. I'll end with that positive comment.

Yeah I agree the amount of redundant cast was comically long. It also mixed up too many styles of film - we had James Bond Daniel Craig era shit in Malta, Indian Jones with Grandpa Dr Grant in the sewers (or whatever) of Biosyn, and a female lesbian pilot ‘with a chip on her shoulder’ who felt like a b lister in the Marvel series.

It was meh, at least we saw another T-Rex fight at the end of the movie. I hope this is the last one for at least 15 years by which point it might be okay to reboot the whole series.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Sisters
A woman's twin murders her date. She and her ex husband try to clean up while a witness / journalist tries to get the cops involved. The journalist realizes that they were formerly Siamese twins, sending her on a strange journey. I really like the premise, but I don't think I really liked the final product. DePalma is capable of super stylish and aggressive stuff, but this felt like he was half asleep while making it. I know it's well-regarded, so it's hard to not recommend it, but I don't think I'll be rewatching it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Sisters
A woman's twin murders her date. She and her ex husband try to clean up while a witness / journalist tries to get the cops involved. The journalist realizes that they were formerly Siamese twins, sending her on a strange journey. I really like the premise, but I don't think I really liked the final product. DePalma is capable of super stylish and aggressive stuff, but this felt like he was half asleep while making it. I know it's well-regarded, so it's hard to not recommend it, but I don't think I'll be rewatching it.
The movie that gave us Margot Kidder. Crazy how she went from fresh-faced ingenue in 1973 to full on burnt out by the time of Superman 2 in 1980. That must have been some hard living over those seven years.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Spiderman No Way Home - my prediction was correct, that this was something you should really only watch opening night in theaters. I thought back to wasabi and Taiso conversations in the Game of Thrones thread about bar showings of episodes. Same energy here. Great to see my good friend Tobey again.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Raising Cane- 80s Psychological thriller by Brian DePalma. John Lithgow plays a doctor whose wife cheats on him causing a mental break. He starts to manifest long dormant alternate personalities to protect himself and do things he isn't normally capable of. He murders a couple of random women, tries to kill his wife and frame her boyfriend in order to steal their daughter and a couple of other children so he can give them to his insane father to run psychological experiments on.

From the heyday of adult thrillers, DePalma puts a bit of a giallo spin on it which along with Lithgow's amazing performance help separate it from the rest of the genre at the time. Highly recommended even if it's just to see John Lithgow's performance as Cane.

I watched the "directors cut" which restores the movie to it's original timeline, apparently the theatrical version was heavily edited by the studio as they found it too confusing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
De Palma really liked Lithgow. He used Lithgow as a killer in Blow Out as well. I wish that one was streaming somewhere here. Come to think of it, I don't think any of De Palma's movies are streaming here except Mission fucking Impossible and maybe Untouchables. Oh wait a minute, what am I talking about? I just watched Carlito's Way a week ago. But none of his 1970s/1980s thrillers.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Snake Eyes is what really did him in, up until then he had mostly been on a roll for almost 20 years.

I really should get around to watching Dressed to Kill one of these day.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Snake Eyes is what really did him in, up until then he had mostly been on a roll for almost 20 years.

I really should get around to watching Dressed to Kill one of these day.
Yeah, he really took a beating for Snake Eyes. I didn't think it was that bad, honestly. Nowhere near his best, but fine. It's funny watching De Palma talk about his career, though. He doesn't see himself as ever having had a great run. He'd do one movie the critics and studio loved, and then he'd follow that with a movie everyone hated and he'd have a tough time even getting studios to answer phone calls for years. Brief feast followed by famine, over and over.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight- I love the TV series and while this movie seems like it was most likely a different project that was repurposed to cash in on the license it's still a lot of fun. I never realized how much this has in common with From Dusk Till Dawn, this came out a year earlier but the similarities are striking. This has one of the best ensemble character actor casts of anything I can think of, it's a cavalcade of "oh shit that guy/lady!". Billy Zane is fantastic as the main bad guy, he's really hamming it up and just going for it. The effects are great and while it's not as clever or funny as the better Tales episodes it gets by for the most part and the Crypt Keeper wraparounds are pretty good as always. The John Laraquette cameo in the opening is funny as well.

Not sure if I want to sit through Bordello of Blood though. I remember it being just awful and you know... Dennis Miller. But it has a cult following now so I might try and give it a shot.
Reading this post made me realize I had never actually re-watched DK after seeing it in the theater when it first came out. I loved it then, was curious to see if it would still hold up for me now, so I finally rented it on Xbox last night. It is indeed still great, just like you said, Billy Zane in particular just kills it. The effects haven't aged well, obviously, but everything else has. One thing that stood out to me as odd, maybe more so than it would have if I hadn't just watched half of the characters on Westworld say "MAYve" and the other half say "MEEve," was how about half the cast in DK say "Jerri-Lynn" and about half say "Jer-ih-Line."

Movie's awesome regardless. Re: Bordello of Blood - at least there's a lot of tits in it IIRC, though of course no nudity from Angie Everhart. It probably would be worth a re-watch given proper expectations going in.

I also watched Southbound again. Third time I've seen it I think? I still really like it, and there are so many small details to catch throughout and intricacies in how the segments relate to each other and the main themes that it really does still feel worth the time spent. I'd rank it with V/H/S 2 in my top tier of horror anthologies.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
De Palma is one of my favorite directors. He hasn't done much of note in the last 20 or so years though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Boom For Real: The Late Teenage Years of Jean Michelle Basquiat- Documentary on the artist as well as the East Village art/music and graffiti scene in the late 70s and early 80s. Some good interviews and some fantastic footage of the area/scene, it's as much about the entire scene as it is about him. Recommended.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Could have sworn someone talked about Everything Everywhere All at Once on this page but I could be mistaken. Watched it tonite and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

If had to complain about something, (I think this was even mentioned in the other post by someone), it was the rapid-fire language swapping dialogue between the characters. I mean it's 100% realistic to see how the Wang family talks to each other dipping in and out of Chinese and English. Part of my family is 2nd Gen Mexican-American and they do that all the time. But it was really fast and sort of discombobulating when trying to get all the dialogue in my earballs.

Still though, 4/5 stars. Michelle Yeoh once again proves she's awesome. I had no idea it was written/directed by the same dudes that did Swiss Army Man, which I rather enjoyed as well.

I finally saw Everything Everywhere All at Once last night. It was truly, truly excellent. A better Inception/Dr Strange film than either of those films were.

It was also great to see the raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy got another role, can’t be easy for him to find good films to co-star in.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Paranormal Activity the Marked Ones

I put off watching this one since I figured it was another white family in peril film. It involves Latinos instead. Pregnant mothers go through a ritual where they die giving birth so their child is marked. Marked ones become a vessel for evil on their 18th birthday.

If they covered why the mothers would even do this beyond creating an evil army I'd have liked it more.

Even with the lame ending I enjoyed it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Raising Cane- 80s Psychological thriller by Brian DePalma. John Lithgow plays a doctor whose wife cheats on him causing a mental break. He starts to manifest long dormant alternate personalities to protect himself and do things he isn't normally capable of. He murders a couple of random women, tries to kill his wife and frame her boyfriend in order to steal their daughter and a couple of other children so he can give them to his insane father to run psychological experiments on.

From the heyday of adult thrillers, DePalma puts a bit of a giallo spin on it which along with Lithgow's amazing performance help separate it from the rest of the genre at the time. Highly recommended even if it's just to see John Lithgow's performance as Cane.

I watched the "directors cut" which restores the movie to it's original timeline, apparently the theatrical version was heavily edited by the studio as they found it too confusing.
I love this movie. I didn't know there was a directors cut, I'll have to check it out.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I love this movie. I didn't know there was a directors cut, I'll have to check it out.
It's worth it. I can see why the studio wanted it changed, it is a little confusing at parts but once the movie progresses they make total sense. It's just more linear and a bit dumbed down in the theatrical release which unfortunately negatively impacted the effectiveness of some of the more shocking scenes.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I saw someone tweeted that Jordan Peele was the greatest horror director, and he replied that such slander of John Carpenter was unacceptable, lol.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I saw someone tweeted that Jordan Peele was the greatest horror director, and he replied that such slander of John Carpenter was unacceptable, lol.
Yeah, I saw that. Class move, but also a perspicacious move. In his position, if you don't shut down that kind of talk immediately, it drastically hastens the point at which the public inevitably turns on you. A brilliant dodge.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, I saw that. Class move, but also a perspicacious move. In his position, if you don't shut down that kind of talk immediately, it drastically hastens the point at which the public inevitably turns on you. A brilliant dodge.

I thought it was pretty great too, plus showed that Peele is a fan of the genre.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
He's in kind of a weird place as the media just hopelessly slobs his knob at every opportunity... which is great and all but they'll inevitably turn on him when he says or does something they don't like. So it's like how do you handle being on the upswing of the social media hero creation/destruction wave? Be as gracious as possible and don't stick your neck out too far, I guess.