Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I've seen The Wings of the Dove, the french version from 1981. I think it's far better than the cheap Miramax crap from '97. In fact, this adaptation is a great film, with just the right balance between subtlety and rawness to make this whole ménage à trois compelling and authentic. Everything here, the acting, filming or dialogue, is understated - the wings of a dove, indeed.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Highway to Hell- Pretty much Mad Max meets Nothing but Trouble with a bit of Brazil. Kristi Swanson and Rob Lowe's little brother are driving to Vegas to get married and while taking a shortcut through the desert she is kidnapped by Hell Cop and is literally taken into a hell dimension. Her clueless BF gets a hotrod and sawed off shotgun and goes to rescue her. It's funny, confusing and awesome. One of the strangest movies I've seen in a long time.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Venom 2 was meh, except for the last credits scene.

When I saw it on release I postulated the only reason they released Venom 2 was to keep the franchise in the public’s mind and to tie it to the inevitable crossover.

If Venom shows up in the next Spidey film I’ll shit a brick. I bet we’ll see him in the credits.

But yes, Venom 2 was bad. You get one good fight. Woody’s character was like 1980s “crazy” stereotype. Total unbelievable cartoon.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
When I saw it on release I postulated the only reason they released Venom 2 was to keep the franchise in the public’s mind and to tie it to the inevitable crossover.

If Venom shows up in the next Spidey film I’ll shit a brick. I bet we’ll see him in the credits.

But yes, Venom 2 was bad. You get one good fight. Woody’s character was like 1980s “crazy” stereotype. Total unbelievable cartoon.
Sony has to crank out Spiderman-related films at a certain frequency forever or the movie rights will eventually revert to Marvel.

Venom 2, Spiderman NWH (releases next month), and Morbius (releases January) were all supposed to release with a bigger space between them but COVID happened.

That's why they rebooted the series so many times in such a short timespan and in 2023 Kraven the Hunter gets his own movie for the same reason.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have no idea who Morbius is so somewhat looking forward to that.

Who has the rights to Blade on film these days?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
No Time to Die
Somewhat forced on various fronts. The other 007 is obnoxious. The love story is warped insofar as it is what the film hinges on and you are made to overlook how hammy it all plays out. But it is Bond and it does work. Going to miss this guy, best Batman in a suit and tie in yonkers

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member

Marvel has the Blade rights. They cast the same guy who played Cottonmouth in Luke Cage to play Blade, Mahershala Ali.
Spoiler:
He's the post-credits cameo in Eternals

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Marvel. They're doing a new Blade movie with Mahershalalalala Ali which won't be as good because some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill.

Watched Planes Trains this evening because we watch it almost every turkey day. Actually streamed it for 24 hours straight on one of the Discord channels I'm on.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Morbius, the Living Vampire. Low, low, low, low, low tier Spider-Man villain. Played by Jared Leto.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Morbius, the Living Vampire. Low, low, low, low, low tier Spider-Man villain. Played by Jared Leto.

I didn’t know he was a Spider-Man villain but in the trailer for his film we do see some Spider-Man graffiti.

I wonder what Sony is up to.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I didn’t know he was a Spider-Man villain but in the trailer for his film we do see some Spider-Man graffiti.

Sometimes he's a straight up supervillain, sometimes he's an antihero that just hates Spiderman (or Blade). A lot like Venom actually. Except, you know, not as good and nobody really gives a shit.

Seems like this movie is going more for the tragic antihero angle.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Which is fine by me. Get some good writers and do your own thing. Don’t need 1:1 comic adaptations.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Sony has been trying to get a Spider-Man cinematic universe up and running. One that can survive without Spider-Man. At one point, there was even an Aunt May solo movie spin-off in the works. Let that sink in. But there's some business reason why Spider-Man doesn't show up in Venom and won't show up in Morbius or Kraven. Something to do with the crossover deal they had with Marvel Studios for the Tom Holland Sony Spider-Man movies and Civil War/Avengers/Doctor Strange Marvel Studios movies.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Eyes of a Stranger- Giallo like thriller from 1980 about a news reported that suspects that her neighbor is a serial killer so she haphazardly starts her own investigation when the police are slow to act, which of course goes horribly wrong. Pretty solid with some nice tension and gore by Tom Savini, very Italian feeling. Also of note is this stars Jennifer Jason Leigh in her debut.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Changeling (1980)- Top notch, often imitated and certainly far superior to the terrible remake with Angelina Jolie. George C. Scott just crushing it once again. It's not quite on the same level of The Shining but it's damn good.