Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Saw Nobody tonight. Great fun flick. Not as mindless as Shootem Up, but still pretty insane and lots of crazy deaths.
The action was great, but the story was stupid. Here’s how it would better: he leaves his wife in the end. I mean, she never redeemed herself. How was this ultimate badass so devoid of self respect? And that the one thing that triggers him is his daughter’s panda/unicorn/who cares bracelet?

I enjoyed it but I really don’t want a sequel.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Well, yeah. But that doesn't mean the MK characters were inspired by the movies. It could be anything ninja-related.
At one point, Scorpion leisurely bunny hops off of a pole when fighting SubZero.

Literally the most choreographed 'fight' in the movie.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I actually looked out of morbid curiosity and Tobias has apparently been going full lore dump on his Twitter for the last several weeks. Apparently he read some book about ninjas that gave him the specific idea for the "Lin Kuei" and some aspects of the outfits but it was mostly "his love of 80s Sho Kosugi ninja films".

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
That's cool that Tobias is still in the mix with the fandom. It always saddened me that he left Midway; he and Ed Boon are Mortal Kombat.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I actually looked out of morbid curiosity and Tobias has apparently been going full lore dump on his Twitter for the last several weeks. Apparently he read some book about ninjas that gave him the specific idea for the "Lin Kuei" and some aspects of the outfits but it was mostly "his love of 80s Sho Kosugi ninja films".
OK, cool. That's the info I was hoping for. I watched the movie whilst working and woof, not good. Was Liu Kang supposed to be gay with Kung Lao? Also, was the main character supposed to be a character from the games? I didn't recognize him.

Here's what they need to do to make MK a good movie: It needs to be a mockumentary about these oddball martial artists that train all year to test their might. We follow 5 or 6 quirky characters around, watching them put their entire lives into becoming their alter egos and coming up with the best stage tricks and costumes. Halfway through the movie, we get to the actual tournament and see the competition and the ensuing drama. Scorpion and Sub-Zero have a feud because their costumes are too similar. Who copied who? Raiden accidentally kills a guy with his lightning gag. Johnny Cage is a trust fund kid and his dad has to come pick him up.

@M

20 Year Member
The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984)

I think I saw this as a kid. Kermit and friends try to make a living in the Big Apple, on Broadway, fail to sell their act, part ways, and then come together again to make it work when Kermit finally gets a young producer's son to sign on. This, and Muppets From Space, were a 2-disc set. My favorite part of this one was the Muppet babies musical number dream sequence; it was cool to see a "live" action version of the cartoon I grew up with. I also liked that the whole Sesame Street crew attended Kermit and Piggy's wedding. And I stand corrected, Rizzo is in this older film too, so, he's been around longer than I thought. Decent movie, but, it needed more humor and craziness, it's serious a lot of the time (too much focus on the humans as well). Light on special features, but, some short Jim Henson interviews and Fozzy, Kermit/Piggy, and Pepe quickies. 6.0/10.0 stars.

Now, I'm considering buying The Muppet Show TV collections too...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I was older when the TV show was aired and enjoyed it.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I watched the new Demon Slayer, Mugen Train movie. It was the first movie theatre I’ve seen since pandemic and also first theatre I’ve been in with leather recliners. Between COVID distancing, Tuesday night, not crowded in general, it was a pleasant night at the movies experience.

The movie itself, I felt was overhyped. Not a bad movie, but not really a great movie either. Don’t go see this if you haven’t watched season 1 of the series (or at least read the comic). You will be lost AF. There is zero explanation at the beginning of the movie at what is going on. I just feel like there is no reason why this should have been a movie and the only reason it made bookoos of money is because of COVID.

I missed out on buying this on psn when it was released by accident. Pirates are having a field day though. I would have rather watched this at home than listen to the weeb cry in the seat behind me.

on a better note, the trailers had me excited for the new ghost busters and Jason statham Wrath of man movies. I didn’t care for the saw movies, but the reboot with Chris rock and Samuel l Jackson has me intrigued.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Universal Soldier 4 is super crazy. It is slow a lot of the time, then suddenly some dude comes through the door with an axe and there is a fight. Also don't watch if you have or don't want epilepsy.

@M

20 Year Member
New DVDs. I never ate a White Castle slider until after I saw Harold & Kumar on Comedy Central years ago, and, man, was I missing out--fucking delicious. Ducktales cartoon is awesome, Ducktales NES is awesome, and Scrooge McDuck is my hero. If he was a member here, he'd fill his money bin with Neo Geo carts and post YouTube videos of himself swimming naked in them everyday. Rot's got nothing on Mr. McDee. I also have the hots for Magica DeSpell--I'd totally steal Scrooge's lucky dime to bang her, and that's not furry sex, it's feathery sex, so, it's okay. Ant Bully, no idea, I'm guessing he fucks with ants and the tables get turned, but, if CG Yogi Bear is stealing pic-a-nic baskets, and you know he is, I'm down.

IMG_20210429_182838543_47.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Tenet- Hahaha... are you kidding me? Absolute trash. Nolan is so far up his own ass at this point it's amazing.

This had to be the stupidest movie I've ever seen masquerading as deep. Also the most nonsensical yet somehow at the same time super predictable.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Just finished "Space Sweepers".
Pretty decent Sci-fi film from Korea. Looks like they had a nice budget for all the CG. The main antagonist is the voice of Trevor Belmont in the Castlevania series on Netflix.
High marks for originality. Recommended watch.

p19323897_p_v10_aa.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
That looks beyond terrible.

Okay just watched the trailer and yeah...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Rewatched Creed last night. What an absolutely perfect movie.
I really enjoyed it as well. I like Creed II also, but not as much as the first. Donnie's girlfriend makes shitty music, tho.

Rocky >>>> II > Creed = Rocky Balboa > Creed II > III > IV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> V

Creed III is in development already and there's another Rocky movie they are thinking about making where Rocky trains an illegal immigrant.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I really enjoyed it as well. I like Creed II also, but not as much as the first. Donnie's girlfriend makes shitty music, tho.

Rocky >>>> II > Creed = Rocky Balboa > Creed II > III > IV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> V

Creed III is in development already and there's another Rocky movie they are thinking about making where Rocky trains an illegal immigrant.
I'd rate Creed over Rocky 2, to be honest. Or at least put the equals sign between Rocky 2 & Creed rather than between Creed & Rocky Balboa. But otherwise, I'd agree with that order.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'd rate Creed over Rocky 2, to be honest. Or at least put the equals sign between Rocky 2 & Creed rather than between Creed & Rocky Balboa. But otherwise, I'd agree with that order.
They're both pretty much retreads of Rocky and they're both awesome. I just like Mickey and Paulie and Adrian more as a supporting cast than what they have in Creed.

Since Rocky is confirmed to not be returning as a character in Creed III I am hoping Tony Duke Evers Jr gets some more development. Tony Sr is the most underrated character in the franchise in my opinion. I love this scene:

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Watch Nobody, starring Bob Odenkirk. You will not be disappointed. I guran-god-damn-tee it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Mortal Kombat - Under normal circumstances I would shit all over this movie but I had a good time with the family. It was nice getting back out to the movie theater. AMC has a silly policy of you should wear a mask but it's OK to remove it to consume snacks, so basically you can unmask in the theater but mask up in the lobby. Whatever, it's fine. Anyway, the guy that played Kano like a nefarious version of Ozzy Man Reviews kind of saved the movie. I counted six utterances of "Mortal Kombat", which should give you an idea of the script quality. Fun movie to take the piss out of with some mates.

Nobody - This one was great! Excellent performance by Bob Odenkirk as an average family man with a repetitive life that gets interrupted by a robbery and all hell breaks loose. Solid supporting cast, kept my attention throughout. Reminded me of Bruce Willis' Death Wish remake, except Nobody was actually worthwhile and not unnecessarily grim. Perfect 90 minute action movie. No action movie should be much longer than that, IMO. The shitty Marvel films go on so long I usually fall asleep. John Wick movies are too long and also fucking stupid and boring. This is how you fucking do it, alright!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
They're both pretty much retreads of Rocky and they're both awesome. I just like Mickey and Paulie and Adrian more as a supporting cast than what they have in Creed.

Since Rocky is confirmed to not be returning as a character in Creed III I am hoping Tony Duke Evers Jr gets some more development. Tony Sr is the most underrated character in the franchise in my opinion. I love this scene:
All through that scene, I expect him to say to Apollo, "I have this plan. It's called SAVE-ASS."