Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Also the sound is jacked, it's super quiet and hollow sounding. I had to turn the volume from the usual 20-30 range up to 70+ just to hear dialogue. Snyder is so far up his own ass at this point it's laughable.

I knew when the villagers started serenading Aquaman it was gonna be beyond pretentious.
My TV was blasted also at that point you get the idea of blowing your speakers. Had you forgot to take the volume down after switching to something else.

The villagers song to me was the most cringeworthy scene in the entire film. Like cult levels.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Watched Nobody (aka Bob Oedenwick, aka Conservative Suburban Dad Fantasy) last night in a "movie theater", whatever the fuck that is. Pretty much exactly as advertised. It's rock stupid and borderline insulting in places but I thought it was a fun popcorn movie in an old 80s action movie way.

It follows John Wick almost beat for beat (Russian mobster's son fucks with a seemingly normal guy who is actually a retired unstoppable super-killer and things escalate from there). Only difference is that instead of Keanu Reeves and his adorable puppy in a weird, sterile California bungalow, it's Bob Oedenkirk and his cold fish wife and sad family in their cookie cutter McMansion on a caldesac. The villain was fun in a Peter Stormare kind of way and I liked that the lead was someone whose never been an action guy. The character would've been a lot less believable if it was yet another Bruce Willis crapfest or some 300 lb. roid monster.

Edit: It was great seeing Christopher Lloyd but that old bastard needs to change dentures or something. Most of his dialogue was unintelligible.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Man of Steel

Excellent. I caught some of the end parts of this on HBO once, but, never the whole thing until now. Really should have watched it before Batman vs. Superman too. Pretty strong film throughout, and I particularly liked the opening on Krypton and some of Clark's childhood scenes, coming to grips with his powers and his place in our world (saving his classmates from drowning on the school bus, obeying and letting his father die in the cyclone, etc.) I even sympathized with Zod a bit, his actions were evil, but, he really was trying to save his race. Both inspiring and heartwrenching, as a good Superman story should be. It did bother me that Zod didn't leave any of his troops or warcraft to defend the world terraforming device, which was absolutely vital to his plans--yes, it had it's own automated defenses, but, still, stupid. Best Superman movie of all time in my opinion and possibly also one of the best superhero movies period. 9.5/10

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Man of Steel

Excellent. I caught some of the end parts of this on HBO once, but, never the whole thing until now. Really should have watched it before Batman vs. Superman too. Pretty strong film throughout, and I particularly liked the opening on Krypton and some of Clark's childhood scenes, coming to grips with his powers and his place in our world (saving his classmates from drowning on the school bus, obeying and letting his father die in the cyclone, etc.) I even sympathized with Zod a bit, his actions were evil, but, he really was trying to save his race. Both inspiring and heartwrenching, as a good Superman story should be. It did bother me that Zod didn't leave any of his troops or warcraft to defend the world terraforming device, which was absolutely vital to his plans--yes, it had it's own automated defenses, but, still, stupid. Best Superman movie of all time in my opinion and possibly also one of the best superhero movies period. 9.5/10
f43.gif

This scene was straight up retarded. Clark can move fast enough to save him and get back before anyone sees he has moved at all. Not to mention the dad sacrificed his life for a fucking dog. What was wrong with the heart attack from pretty much every other piece of Superman media?

They needed to cut about 20 minutes from the multiple intro sequences and cut the tornado scene and you'd have a decent flick.

@M

20 Year Member
Maybe he wouldn't have been fast enough, he was still young and inexperienced, and there was a huge crowd that would have witnessed his father magically moving out of the way of danger. I agree that it is dumb to throw your life away for a dog, but, I know people in real life, and you probably do too, that would do the same damn thing for their pet, and he was also throwing away his life to protect Clark too. I would have said fuck it and saved my father anyway, but, plot device. Still brought a tear to my eye; I'm a pussy like that.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I like Michael Shannon in MoS a lot, his Zod is one of my favorite villains in any comic book movie.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Got a digital copy for Ghost in the Shell. It's US region locked. First one who comments here in the thread will receive the code via PM.
The code expires on 9/8/21.

Edit: It's gone.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Haven't watched it yet and don't want to be spoiled so I won't post it in the official thread yet, but Godzilla vs Kong has done almost 50 million at the box office domestically and over 285 million worldwide. Massive numbers considering the pandemic and the fact that it was released day and date on HBO Max.

King of the Monsters only did 387 million worldwide and that was before the pandemic with no streaming release. Godzilla vs Kong will likely beat that.

Godzilla 2014 did 530 million and Kong: Skull Island did 567 million so it won't touch those, but considering the current state of things WB has to be really happy with the performance. Seems pretty sure we'll get another film in this universe now, which I would not have guessed after King of the Monsters essentially bombed.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I watched Deceived, a little thriller from Damian Harris. I really liked Bad Company and was anxious to see another Harris movie, but this one was just solid. Goldie is ok, but John Heard is totally out of place and the script is unable to transcend this familiar story into something fascinating. Jack N. Green's camera makes up for it, though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Haven't watched it yet and don't want to be spoiled so I won't post it in the official thread yet, but Godzilla vs Kong
lol you think there are spoilers. It's not that kind of movie. That's like worrying about spoilers in the Care Bears Movie. Guess what? The Care Bears are in it and they do Care Bear shit. Uh-oh, spoiled!

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Feels nice seeing my avatar in the corner next to Bobak's. It's like I'm his little buddy and he'll keep me safe.

Finally watched Mandy and it fucking ruled.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Feels nice seeing my avatar in the corner next to Bobak's. It's like I'm his little buddy and he'll keep me safe.

Finally watched Mandy and it fucking ruled.
Time to watch beyond the black rainbow

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Watched the Last Blockbuster. It's decent. They got some good talking heads - Kevin Smith, Brian Posehn, Paul Scherer, etc.

@M

20 Year Member
Did this guy just reference the Care Bears
I haven't watched them yet, but I bought the complete original Care Bears cartoon series on DVD too. I pick up the old hardcover Care Bears children's books when we get some in at the thrift store too. I'm into gay bear action.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Edge of tomorrow again. Tom Cruise best movie and better than groundhog day. Way underrated.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I dont want to be right.

Edit: okay I like it because its groundhog day with a goal. The sci fi elrments are well made and has great production values. Its like Dark Souls the movie with the deaths over and over. Learning frkm you mistakes and cruises character has some good development. Emily blunt was great in the role too. I read the manga aswell its based off of and I like the different militarized take.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I dont want to be right.

Edit: okay I like it because its groundhog day with a goal. The sci fi elrments are well made and has great production values. Its like Dark Souls the movie with the deaths over and over. Learning frkm you mistakes and cruises character has some good development. Emily blunt was great in the role too. I read the manga aswell its based off of and I like the different militarized take.
It really is a true video game movie, they basically took Gears of War, Halo and the time mechanics of stuff like Prince of Persia.

It's okay but it's no Groundhog Day and I don't even particularly care for that. But it's nowhere near as intelligent not to mention the huge added layers exploring the meanings of consequences, time, happiness, religion etc.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
It really is a true video game movie, they basically took Gears of War, Halo and the time mechanics of stuff like Prince of Persia.

It's okay but it's no Groundhog Day and I don't even particularly care for that. But it's nowhere near as intelligent not to mention the huge added layers exploring the meanings of consequences, time, happiness, religion etc.
I think it had layers. When the guy couldn't bring blunt any further with him up to a certain point was a great moment. You could tell he tried everything up to the last detail and after a while just chose to enjoy her company before she died. This is as far as you go. Just stares at her at times like fo I have something on my face. Can imagine how many times hes watched her die. The concept of memorization that this movie and groundhog day play off of has always severely interested me. I thought it was more than trying to be a dumb action movie I mean it is but theres some fine acting in there if you look enough.

I really enjoyed the manga. They paid homage to it in dividend. They give her a melee weapon. And the suits are supposed to be hard to use and can kill the user but after dying over and over Cruise can jump around and dash and blast like nothing.

Yeah I really like the movie.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This site can be so cringe, when the adult children get too comfortable masturbating opinions about shit their kids (real or imagined) are outgrowing.

I guess I am guilty of it too. (Milla Jovavich)

• Wow
Reactions: wyo

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Tomb Raider (2018). I tried. Gave up before the halfway point.

Visually, it's fine. And nobody in the cast is terrible. But it's so fucking boring and poorly-written. The Angelina Jolie movies were dumb, but at least they tried to be fun. This movie was just as dumb, but acted like it wanted to be taken seriously, which is worse.

Looking up the writer, she's only ever written one other movie in her life, and that was Captain Marvel. Okay, that fits. Tomb Raider was her first, and that is also painfully obvious. Structurally, the first half of the movie is a directionless, pointless, burning trash heap. Maybe the second half is better, but fuck that.

@M

20 Year Member
I've got all three Tomb Raider movies sitting in my unwatched mountain of DVDs too and STK has shattered all my dreams about the newest film. But . . . knowing me, I'll probably think it's Oscar worthy when I finally get around to watching it. 😂