Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I watched this again on Friday, and yeah it was enjoyable. Fassypants is always fun to watch.

And honestly, I don't know why, but I kinda dig that main gal, the one from Fantastic beasts.

I was laughing when I realized she was the hot girl from Drive, but she looks like a 13 year old chubby boy in Covenant.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Fantastic Beasts 2

It's totally the Empire Strikes Back of the series. Lots of conflict and loss, and ends with the Millenium Falcon. or a dragon. or something. i dunno... magic.

it lacked the Beasts from the first one. this one was more about harry potter universe than Beasts.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
She's hot as fuck in Inherent Vice which is an awesome movie that no one ever talks about.

fake

15 Year Member
She's hot as fuck in Inherent Vice which is an awesome movie that no one ever talks about.

Yeah, that too. Saw that one in theaters. Moto panukeiku! The first and probably last adaptation of a Pynchon book.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
BlacKkKlansman
Strong performances across the board, good characterisations for the most part, and some decent cinematography, all mared by sloppy narrative and a blaring agenda that just doesn't work in the film's favour in my opinion.
A strange film, Spike Lee is way too overeager to tell you what he thinks here, and 30 years ago to me he could do no wrong but these days it all feels awkward and imposing. A shame, at least for me. Some of it was great but overall it wasn't at all.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
BlacKkKlansman
Strong performances across the board, good characterisations for the most part, and some decent cinematography, all mared by sloppy narrative and a blaring agenda that just doesn't work in the film's favour in my opinion.
A strange film, Spike Lee is way too overeager to tell you what he thinks here, and 30 years ago to me he could do no wrong but these days it all feels awkward and imposing. A shame, at least for me. Some of it was great but overall it wasn't at all.

It's based on a true story, though...

I know that the immediate response to that phrase is to roll your eyes, but the movie is faithful to the main character and the main storyline. The embellishments come with the secondary characters (Driver's character wasn't really Jewish and the love interest was a fabrication).

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/blackkklansman/

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
BlacKkKlansman

Fair assessment. The political commentary was about as subtle as a sledgehammer. The swings from serious political statements to comedy and back were jarring to say the least. Shame, really, as otherwise it was a good movie. The current "Widows" also suffers from a similar kitchen sink approach to film-making.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
so, par for the course of a spike lee film then

Thing is back with Do the Right Thing and Jungle Fever it was perfect, fresh, effective and affecting, now it feels rustic, tv-movie material-like.
Up to Clockers he was one of my favourite directors.

@Fakex, the problemr really is with the embelishment, and childish treatment of drama. Compare it with Malcolm X and I think you can see a shift towards something more elementary and less refined.
I had read about the true story a year or so ago and it is fascinating, but I somehow feel it was probably a lot more fascinating than how the film portrayed it. In the right hands (Fincher?) it could have been great. Thing is the polítical overtones are way too at the forefront and to me at least it becomes distracting

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Thing is back with Do the Right Thing and Jungle Fever it was perfect, fresh, effective and affecting, now it feels rustic, tv-movie material-like.

@Fakex, the problemr really is with the embelishment, and childish treatment of drama. Compare it with Malcolm X and I think you can see a shift towards something more elementary and less refined.
I had read about the true story a year or so ago and it is fascinating, but I somehow feel it was probably a lot more fascinating than how the film portrayed it. In the right hands (Fincher?) it could have been great. Thing is the polítical overtones are way too at the forefront and to me at least it becomes distracting

25th Hour wasn't gratuitous with the politics and Inside Man was, by Spike Lee standards at least, relatively MESSAGE-free. Both great films.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
25th Hour wasn't gratuitous with the politics and Inside Man was, by Spike Lee standards at least, relatively MESSAGE-free. Both great films.

I don't like 25th Hour if only because I viewed it as Lee trying to go mainstream, with Norton being a whiteface Snipes or whatever. But that might just be me. It was certainly successful in evoking the spirit of the time and place it was set in that's for sure.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Saw the new Grinch movie with the kids. Like the movie before it, the entire plot is way too long. Sub-plots and characters added in just to pad the runtime. Not a terrible movie by any means, but painfully average. The original decades old TV special is still the best version by far.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

The thing may also be, that he's so dedicated to be an African American director, that he completely misses to tell us anything about African Americans, which wouldn't represent a white man's stereotype image of them and/or their culture. He supplies great jobs, for great actors, in a totally biased industry, yet, in my opinion, he has never left what you call tv-movie material, or worse.

I get the feeling, his films are a luxury issue of a dime novel with gilded edges and leather binding, like one of those expensive, personalized Bibles Moze Prey & Addie Loggins sold in Paper Moon. When I want insights into African American life, stereotype-free, I go with Carl Franklin. Lee knows about it, though, I give him that. That's why he lets his Pierre Delacroix reveal in Bamboozled:

Delacroix: I don't agree. The Negro middle class does exist, and it's rich material for a dramatic series or sitcom.

Delacroix, another of Lee's sledgehammer metaphors (de la croix = the cross), says in another scene:

Delacroix: I feel like somebody hit me upside da head with a sledgehammer.

Well, after all it's a Spike Lee joint Pierre.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
The new Pacific Rim popped up on HBO so I figured I would finally make myself watch it. Del Toro really nailed the feel and look of the first movie but after seeing the trailer for Uprising, I knew I needed to wait till it was on a streaming service. Uprising takes the setting and some characters from the first movie and absolutely guts everything that was great about it. Even the humor falls flat with writing that dips well below Bayformer's levels. The Chinese funding for the film is also very evident as a Chinese corporation is villainized and redeemed in quick order.

The whole thing felt very by the numbers so I can't even recommend it as mild entertainment.

fake

15 Year Member
The new Pacific Rim popped up on HBO so I figured I would finally make myself watch it. Del Toro really nailed the feel and look of the first movie but after seeing the trailer for Uprising, I knew I needed to wait till it was on a streaming service. Uprising takes the setting and some characters from the first movie and absolutely guts everything that was great about it. Even the humor falls flat with writing that dips well below Bayformer's levels. The Chinese funding for the film is also very evident as a Chinese corporation is villainized and redeemed in quick order.

The whole thing felt very by the numbers so I can't even recommend it as mild entertainment.

Yeah, as soon as I saw the trailer for the sequel I could tell the magic was gone. I loved the first one. People in the theater were yelling "OHHH SHIIITTTT" at certain points of the mech fights. :lolz: But the sequel looked like a 50-year-old marketing exec saying, "OK boys, we're turning this up to eleven!"

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I pulled up Netflix and watched the Coen brothers new film, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. If you like the Coen's previous films you should love this one. It is a series of short films all with the same running theme throughout each. I can't really comment on what makes each one so special without spoiling it so I highly recommend watching it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I like the Coen Bros generally, but I thought Hail, Caesar! was a poorly structured chunk of shit.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It was.

The Other Guys- Good? kinda. Funny? yes. Quotable? fuck yes.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Small Foot. Took my 3 year old daughter yesterday and she loved it. A bit of adult humor mixed in to keep grownups happy. Love those $3.50 cheap theatre tickets for movies like this, but definitely better than i thought it was going to be :)

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The Neon Demon
Aspiring model's fast track causes jealousy among her competitors in modern day Los Angeles. Visually and sonically brilliant, a great The Informers vibe going on, but lacked direction in general. Definitley worth watching once though. Also Keanu Reeves in a good, albeit small, role as the sleazy motel owner. "That's some real Lolita shit" :lolz:

2,5/5

fake

15 Year Member
The Neon Demon
Aspiring model's fast track causes jealousy among her competitors in modern day Los Angeles. Visually and sonically brilliant, a great The Informers vibe going on, but lacked direction in general. Definitley worth watching once though. Also Keanu Reeves in a good, albeit small, role as the sleazy motel owner. "That's some real Lolita shit" :lolz:

2,5/5

I need to watch this. Seems like Refn's take on Suspiria. If you like the broad plot, you should check out Starry Eyes.