Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
it will be released this week.

really though, are you just trying to unlock market privs?

I thought it was this past weekend (having a toddler will do this to you) and to answer your question. No. In fact i assume its 100 posts for the norm why don't I wait 200 to even look in there if it makes anyone feel better. Not trying to be D just don't want people to assume thats my goal. Honestly not trying to be a smart ass.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Just watched the new Arnie zombie movie "Maggie".

Terrible, boring, melodramatic trash.

Should have known better.

I've paid next to no mind about this movie I thought it's release date wasn't for another couple of months

On topic=

Ex Machina
-I dug it

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Blackhat- well, it's obviously a Michael Mann movie, for better and worse. The gunfights and other fight scenes were very good. The laughable romance plot and the pacing were very bad. Oh, and Chris Hemsworth's accent was hilarious. It (the movie, not the accent) reminded me a lot of Mann's Miami Vice (which is also terrible). Don't get me wrong, I adore Collateral and I like Heat, but this is definitely not recommended.

From the Dark- This was basically awful. The setup should be pretty much can't miss (bad monsters trying to kill a young couple at some isolated house), but it was just boring. There were some major problems with the storytelling, and it was hard to care about anything that was happening. Not recommended.

Blade II- I hadn't watched this in quite a while, and it holds up pretty well. Ron Perlman is great, and it's sort of entertaining seeing Donnie Yen in a throwaway role. Now, why in the hell is the original so hard to find on BD?

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
There's a high demand for Blade on blu ray and most stores sell it for $10 or less

Came across the last copy at a Frys for $5 and bought it then and there

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
Mad Max Fury road is completely worth and a must see in theatres. I heard the 3d was great, but I think anyone would be happy with the 2d version. I can't think of a better retro series bringback movie ever.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
There's a high demand for Blade on blu ray and most stores sell it for $10 or less

Came across the last copy at a Frys for $5 and bought it then and there
Damn, the original, that's pretty sweet. The trilogy is available in other territories, I think, and I've had Trinity for a long time, but I just want the first one. Aw well.

Watching Blade II made me think that if the license is available, he'd be a cool addition to the MCU.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Mad Max Fury road is completely worth and a must see in theatres. I heard the 3d was great, but I think anyone would be happy with the 2d version. I can't think of a better retro series bringback movie ever.

Fury Road is the love child of 300 and Riddick, with a bit of The Cell. It's a perfect movie. You don't even need to understand english to enjoy it. Dialogue is a minimum in this.

This is a movie that justifies not just a ticket purchase, but maybe even a bluray purchase. George Miller's vision is perfectly rendered on the screen, and there's no social demographic pandering at all, there's no jarjar binks; it's pure action, with a truck loaded with amplifiers, a guitar player that shoots streams of fire, and war drummers.

I want to see it again.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Mad Max: Fury Road

It lives up to the legacy of the series and absolutely delivers on all the hype and promise of a beloved cult franchise returning after a nearly 30 year hiatus.

It met or exceeded each of my expectations.

George Miller is the fucking master.

He just pantsed Hollywood. They should all be fucking ashamed of themselves after seeing this.

This film does not pander. It does not flinch. It i suncompromising, wonderful, vivid an unique.

There is not a single flaw in this film. It is as close to perfect as any film I've ever seen.

It's unquestionably the best sequel, if it can even be called that, of all time.

highly, HIGHLY recommended.

10 out of 5 stars.

If you don't like this movie, you aren't a human being. You're a soulless husk breathing worthy peoples' oxygen.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Damn, the original, that's pretty sweet. The trilogy is available in other territories, I think, and I've had Trinity for a long time, but I just want the first one. Aw well.

Watching Blade II made me think that if the license is available, he'd be a cool addition to the MCU.

Marvel got him back when they got the rights back to Punisher and Daredevil

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member

It lives up to the legacy of the series and absolutely delivers on all the hype and promise of a beloved cult franchise returning after a nearly 30 year hiatus.

He just pantsed Hollywood. They should all be fucking ashamed of themselves after seeing this.

This film does not pander. It does not flinch. It i suncompromising, wonderful, vivid an unique.

There is not a single flaw in this film. It is as close to perfect as any film I've ever seen.

It's unquestionably the best sequel, if it can even be called that, of all time.

10 out of 5 stars.

If you don't like this movie, you aren't a human being. You're a soulless husk breathing worthy peoples' oxygen.

Saw it last night and I'm seeing it again tonight. Couldn't agree more.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Saw it last night and I'm seeing it again tonight. Couldn't agree more.

I'm seeing it with my nephew again tomorrow.

Fury Road is what happens when you have a guy that says 'I'm making my movie. Fuck all of you that think I need to cater.'

I almost can't believe this movie came out. It feels like a throwback to a time before media, old and new, decided what was acceptable and the brainwashed masses just started parroting it as truth.

I saw Fury Road and it had me questioning society. For real. My wife and i were wondering just what butthurt faggotry was going to emerge in media to complain about this movie's portrayals of race or gender or other pointless shit without stopping to check itself.

This is how bad it's gotten. Now I can't watch a movie like this without waiting for the inevitable backlash from shitheads that need to leave my planet.

This movie is goddamned time travel to a better era in cinema.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Taiso you motherfucker do you have any idea how hyped you've made me for this film

Anything less than an equivalent to a religious epiphany and I'll be disappointed

Gotta find this somewhere...

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I almost can't believe this movie came out. It feels like a throwback to a time before media, old and new, decided what was acceptable and the brainwashed masses just started parroting it as truth.
You can really tell that Miller has been thinking about this for 30 years. The extreme detail and imagined history is mind blowing, and yeah, it's unbelievable that this film has come to be.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Even better the second time around. God damn.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fury Road symbolism interpretation theory: http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/368fkl/fury_road_theory_who_killed_the_world_four/

copypasta if you don't wanna click the link:
Spoiler:
So I just got done watching Fury Road and have been thinking about the motto scrawled on the wall behind Immortan Joe as he enters the harem chamber - "Who Killed The World?"

It is apparent that the three main warlords are representative of their chosen "commodity" - water, weapons, & gasoline. But, I believe they actually represent something greater - the cause of the apocalypse itself and each of them is in fact a representation of one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Immortan Joe represents Conquest/Pestilence. We know that he pursues and enslaves people in the Wasteland (i.e. Furiosa's origin) and then turns those conquered people so they view him as god-like and the path to heaven. In this way, he assumes the same duality as the Christian horseman - as both a righteous figure (some interpret Conquest as Jesus spreading the gospel) and an evil figure (some interpret Conquest as a false prophet), and also as an infectious influence like the modern "Pestilence" (he "turns" his slaves into followers).

IJ and his followers also embody Pestilence by their own bodies. They are covered in festering sores, are mis-shapen and/or disabled, and have tumors from the nuclear radiation (side note: I find it interesting that Fury Road is the first time Miller has basically beaten everyone over the head with "It was global thermonuclear war, dummies!", when the series has only ever strongly hinted at that before).

The Bullet Farmer represents War. This is an easy one but hear me out. The Christian horseman isn't simply the embodiment of all war, it is the embodiment of unchecked aggression and "non-righteous" conflict. In a modern sense, War is simply unchecked militarism and internecine warfare. The Bullet Farmer doesn't merely represent these qualities, he actively pursues them. When the rest of the group is stuck in the mud and the three warlords have a talk, The People Eater tells him to wait and not hurt the "wives", but instead he goes riding off alone (unchecked aggression) and fires wildly with no regard to who he hits (collateral damage/internecine warfare/"friendly fire").

The People Eater represents Famine. "But he's fat!", you say. Read on, this requires more backstory of the Christian horseman. Famine is generally shown carrying weighing scales to measure grain during a famine. When he appears Saint John hears an exclamation on the prices of grain, but it then concludes:

and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine

Why does the voice say this? It's generally interpreted to mean that luxury goods should remain unaffected by famine, meaning the rich will not suffer, while the poor will. In this way, Famine also embodies the injustice and gluttony of the rich. We see this reflected in the characters surrounding The People Eater - many will resort to eating mutant salamanders, whereas TPE is extremely obese and has major gout, he is obviously well-fed.

TPE also embodies Famine in his name. Throughout history there are recurring episodes of cannibalism practiced by people who were not getting enough nutrients.

So, I bet you're wondering "who's the fourth Horsemen???"....it's Max. Max is Death. Nowhere is this more clear than Max's visions of the dead people he has been unable to "save". He carries the dead with him, leaves people dead in his own path, but can also never be killed himself. Max and Death are both remorseless forces of nature, and that is especially true in Fury Road.

Well, that's my theory. Hope you all enjoyed it.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Fury Road symbolism interpretation theory: http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/368fkl/fury_road_theory_who_killed_the_world_four/

copypasta if you don't wanna click the link:
Spoiler:
So I just got done watching Fury Road and have been thinking about the motto scrawled on the wall behind Immortan Joe as he enters the harem chamber - "Who Killed The World?"

It is apparent that the three main warlords are representative of their chosen "commodity" - water, weapons, & gasoline. But, I believe they actually represent something greater - the cause of the apocalypse itself and each of them is in fact a representation of one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Immortan Joe represents Conquest/Pestilence. We know that he pursues and enslaves people in the Wasteland (i.e. Furiosa's origin) and then turns those conquered people so they view him as god-like and the path to heaven. In this way, he assumes the same duality as the Christian horseman - as both a righteous figure (some interpret Conquest as Jesus spreading the gospel) and an evil figure (some interpret Conquest as a false prophet), and also as an infectious influence like the modern "Pestilence" (he "turns" his slaves into followers).

IJ and his followers also embody Pestilence by their own bodies. They are covered in festering sores, are mis-shapen and/or disabled, and have tumors from the nuclear radiation (side note: I find it interesting that Fury Road is the first time Miller has basically beaten everyone over the head with "It was global thermonuclear war, dummies!", when the series has only ever strongly hinted at that before).

The Bullet Farmer represents War. This is an easy one but hear me out. The Christian horseman isn't simply the embodiment of all war, it is the embodiment of unchecked aggression and "non-righteous" conflict. In a modern sense, War is simply unchecked militarism and internecine warfare. The Bullet Farmer doesn't merely represent these qualities, he actively pursues them. When the rest of the group is stuck in the mud and the three warlords have a talk, The People Eater tells him to wait and not hurt the "wives", but instead he goes riding off alone (unchecked aggression) and fires wildly with no regard to who he hits (collateral damage/internecine warfare/"friendly fire").

The People Eater represents Famine. "But he's fat!", you say. Read on, this requires more backstory of the Christian horseman. Famine is generally shown carrying weighing scales to measure grain during a famine. When he appears Saint John hears an exclamation on the prices of grain, but it then concludes:

and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine

Why does the voice say this? It's generally interpreted to mean that luxury goods should remain unaffected by famine, meaning the rich will not suffer, while the poor will. In this way, Famine also embodies the injustice and gluttony of the rich. We see this reflected in the characters surrounding The People Eater - many will resort to eating mutant salamanders, whereas TPE is extremely obese and has major gout, he is obviously well-fed.

TPE also embodies Famine in his name. Throughout history there are recurring episodes of cannibalism practiced by people who were not getting enough nutrients.

So, I bet you're wondering "who's the fourth Horsemen???"....it's Max. Max is Death. Nowhere is this more clear than Max's visions of the dead people he has been unable to "save". He carries the dead with him, leaves people dead in his own path, but can also never be killed himself. Max and Death are both remorseless forces of nature, and that is especially true in Fury Road.

Well, that's my theory. Hope you all enjoyed it.

It's an interesting write up. If it came out that Miller had some kind of symbolic intent with these four characters, whether it be what's written here or some other meaning, it wouldn't surprise me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It's an interesting write up. If it came out that Miller had some kind of symbolic intent with these four characters, whether it be what's written here or some other meaning, it wouldn't surprise me.

I think it's pretty stupid to think about that stuff, much less write seriously about it.

But that's sage and his fake sophistry for you. He's the guy Katt Williams complains about smoking pot with, who thinks he's an intellectual.

Anyone who watches the movie and thinks about that stuff is not really watching the movie for what it is.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
So we're just gonna skip how cool it was to see a blind rocker strapped to a car rocking out damn near every time we see him?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I felt as if I just saw my notions of what is possible with a feature film altered.
I don't know that anyone has ever achieved such an unvarnished and complete version of their vision, as Miller has here.
What I think will be really fascinating is to go back and watch the older films, as there are glimmers and bits of all of them present
in Fury Road, but never so robustly realized.

George Miller just made the best action film anyone has in the last twenty years. I feel not unlike the first time I saw Die Hard,
The Terminator, or Hard Boiled.

10 out of 5 stars.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I just learned that Hugh Keays-Byrne, the actor who played Toecutter in Mad Max, also played Immortan Joe in Fury Road.

That's...pretty fucking cool.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
George must've kept in touch with him over the years. Connections are important!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Also, I wouldn't be so quick to disregard the idea that literary and mythological symbolism exist in the Mad Max movies, especially Thunderdome and Fury Road. I was watching the movie with my nephew yesterday and i was seeing a lot of it in there. In fact, I saw so much symbolism in the movie that i stopped keeping count but some of the major ones i'll bring up are Max as a messiah figure (not just unique to this movie), his convenient blood ('this is my blood...'), the milk mothers turning on the water at the end to 'feed the masses' being an allegory for motherhood and many, many other instances. Like I said, I stopped keeping track of it but it's there. It's not just sophistry to observe such things. And I think it's fair to say that Immortan Joe, People Eater and the Bullet guy are all allegorical to something, but I really don't feel like putting much thought into it. It's pretty transparent, actually. But I think the more you build up something like Mad Max as apocrypha or mythology, the more you start to lose the potency of the films themselves. You stop seeing the world building and the action as you look for things that, whether they're there or not, dilute the purity.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Also, I wouldn't be so quick to disregard the idea that literary and mythological symbolism exist in the Mad Max movies, especially Thunderdome and Fury Road. I was watching the movie with my nephew yesterday and i was seeing a lot of it in there. In fact, I saw so much symbolism in the movie that i stopped keeping count but some of the major ones i'll bring up are Max as a messiah figure (not just unique to this movie), his convenient blood ('this is my blood...'), the milk mothers turning on the water at the end to 'feed the masses' being an allegory for motherhood and many, many other instances. Like I said, I stopped keeping track of it but it's there. It's not just sophistry to observe such things. And I think it's fair to say that Immortan Joe, People Eater and the Bullet guy are all allegorical to something, but I really don't feel like putting much thought into it. It's pretty transparent, actually. But I think the more you build up something like Mad Max as apocrypha or mythology, the more you start to lose the potency of the films themselves. You stop seeing the world building and the action as you look for things that, whether they're there or not, dilute the purity.

Exactly. Putting thought into things like that completely takes away from the experience.

Leave that shit for self hating masturbators.