Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
IIRC, they didn't actually provide any financial support so much as provide them will all of the legit equipment. Let them use naval air bases, real planes, real carriers, etc. In trade, they got to tweak the script. I imagine it's the same deal with this movie.
They completely rewrote Independence Day in exchange for cooperation. Originally, the military was a bad guy. They said, "Wait a minute. You can't do this! We need to be the good guys!" :lolz:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Better than the original Top Gun, where they had to go back and add more hetero romance scenes because they accidentally shot a gay romcom.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I read The Navy only has the production company pay for the costs of fuel for the jets which is basically a steal.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
OLD- Hoooo boy... this might be as stupid as the one about trees trying to wipeout humanity. It's just terrible. The acting, the camera work, the dialogue everything is just bad in an almost inexplicable way. The fucked up thing is that it's all intentional. I'm not even going to try and get into the "logic" of the movie. M. Night has proven himself to be the most consistently bad filmmaker who is actually capable of making good movies. It seems like for every step he manages to take forward he somehow manages to take three steps back.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
OLD- Hoodoo boy... this might be as stupid as the one about trees trying to wipeout humanity. It's just terrible. The acting, the camera work everything is just bad in an almost inexplicable way. The fucked up thing is that it's all intentional. I'm not even going to try and get into the "logic" of the movie. M. Night has proven himself to be the most consistently bad filmmaker who is actually capable of making good movies. It seems like for every step he manages to take forward he somehow manages to take three steps back.
Totally agree. He was really taking the piss with this one. By the time it ends you feel like you aged with the characters.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Definitely one of his worst, agaist some stiff competition. Made Signs look like The Third Man. I spent a lot more time wondering what the hell he was thinking than about where the story was going.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I spent a lot more time wondering what the hell he was thinking than about where the story was going.
Definitely. The funny thing is I get the feeling that he thought he really nailed it too. Like he felt almost every scene was going to have the impact of the ending of The Sixth Sense. When in reality it's just flat out embarrassing, I kind of felt bad for him by the end.

It actually would have totally worked as an episode of Tales From the Crypt. It wouldn't take much to make it a comedy.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Got around to seeing Top Gun Maverick w/ my dad because it's what the old sailor wanted for father's day. Nothing really earth-shattering to add... Tom Cruise makes another totally serviceable, entertaining popcorn movie with all of the jingoism and homoeroticism of the original. The dogfighting is really well-shot and it does the nostalgic emotional manipulation thing that so many other very late sequels have been attempting lately but pulls it off without being treacle. I was never a big fan of the original (apart from the soundtrack) but I can see why people were so impressed with this. They didn't fuck it up.
Agreed. They played the hits.

The dogfights and carrier shots were well done, to the point my daughter made me dig up Ace Combat 6, lol.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I'm just surprised at this point that people even pay attention to Shayamalan releases. Like how many times do you have to get burned before accepting that the guy was a one-trick pony? The only remotely decent movie he's made in 20 years was Split and that was largely carried by a great performance from McAvoy and people being excited about an Unbreakable sequel/universe. I checked out after The Village was a giant piece of shit and pretty much only see his movies if someone I know and trust tells me that one of his movies ISN'T a turd.

Honestly, Jordan Peele has more or less taken M. Night's corner (dude who makes 90 minute long Twilight Zone episodes) and doesn't have the hubris to insert himself in to his own movies like Hitchcock.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The Sixth Sense is good once, but after you know the twist tons of scenes don't really make a lot of sense when you watch it back.

Unbreakable is awesome, Split is a good sequel, Glass doesn't stick the landing.

The rest of M. Night's movies suck ass.

EDIT:
On the other hand, since he started funding his own movies he's been making bank

The Visit, Split, Glass, and Old made 714 million dollars on a combined 52 million dollar budget, mostly financed out of his own pocket.

Reactions: jro

famicommander

15 Year Member
Looking back, I wonder if Bruce Willis' deteriorating mental state at least partially explains why Glass felt so small scale and underwhelming. Movie had over twice the budget of Split but it felt way, way cheaper even though most of Split takes place in one or two rooms. But maybe it was just so small scale because that was all Bruce was capable of doing by that point.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The Visit is a great M Night Shamilimilan movie. I'm serious.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I was not expecting Old to be good, I was expecting it to be Malignant level stupid that crosses over into good-bad. It was not. It felt like he was suffering from some sort of undiagnosed brain trauma and about halfway through I felt like I was too.

Split is fantastic and easily could have been an absolute disaster, so he still has some genuine ability. Or at least did.

Reactions: wyo

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The Alamo had a secret screening this evening. The wife is out of town and I was bored so I figured what the hell. Turned out to be Shakma, a corny animal-gone-wild horror movie from the early 90s. Baboon (red ass and all) has its violence knob turned up to 11 by irresponsible scientists, he gets loose while a bunch of science nerds are LARPing in the hospital and proceeds to tear their faces off.

The premise is ridiculous, the characters are straight out of every 80s slasher movie (main character who needs to learn a lesson in order to save the day, power nerd, black guy, token love interest), the outfits are Saved by the Bell's wardrobe department leftovers and the main character's emotional moments (played by Christopher Atkins of Blue Lagoon fame) are embarrassing. That said, they do make this tiny little monkey seem dangerous and kind of scary... which totally shouldn't work. Some of the heavy lifting is done by the music but the baboon also seems pissed off and throws itself at doors and screams and generally acts fucking nuts in a way that's kind of unnerving. The gore isn't particularly noteworthy but the baboon largely tears people's faces off which is kind of in line with what real monkeys do (after they go for your nuts).

While I wouldn't say it's a good movie, it's a moderately effective horror movie when it's not ridiculous.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The trailer for Shakma is way better than the movie. I think the RLM guys covered it a long time ago. The baboon that played Shakma was in a bunch of movies including The Fly. In order to get the baboon to go nuts they had a female baboon on the other side of the doors. So yeah, he's legit frustrated.

Ghost Story- Four old lifelong friends (including Fred Astaire and Douglas Fairbanks Jr) who get together once a month and tell ghost stories are haunted by something from their past. The son of one of the men is brought into the group after his brothers mysterious death. They start to died off one at a time in bizarre accidents. Finally the truth comes out that they killed a young woman and covered it up back in the 1920s when they were all in college together.

A throwback to more atmospheric slow horror at a time when slashers were taking over. A bit clunky at times but a nice change of pace from the more sleazy stuff. There was however a good amount of nudity and sex. The performance by the main woman was fantastic, she was genuinely creepy.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The Three Colors movies have been restored and will be in theaters this summer. I'll definitely be going to those if they're in my area.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Dragonball Resurrection F - this was the DB movie that came out in 2015 where Frieza comes back to life. It was gay as fuck.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dragon Ball > Z > Super > GT
Anything beyond Z isn't real anyway. Just like any of the Sherlock Holmes stories written after Arthur Conan Doyle aren't real. Just like the proposed Casablanca 2 starring Ben Affleck wouldn't have been real.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Anything beyond Z isn't real anyway. Just like any of the Sherlock Holmes stories written after Arthur Conan Doyle aren't real. Just like the proposed Casablanca 2 starring Ben Affleck wouldn't have been real.
Most of Super sucks but I did actually enjoy the Tournament of Power arc a bit. Mostly because it's not just Vegeta stalling for time until Goku deus ex machinas the big bad like usual. Krillin, Piccolo, Gohan, Tien, Roshi, 17, 18, etc all actually get to do something.

Honestly I hate the Buu Saga of Z at least as much as GT. Series should've ended with Goku defeating Frieza, then it should've ended again with Gohan defeating Cell.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Cell saga script.

Gohan: "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cell: "Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh"

Repeat as necessary for time.

fin