Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Last Jedi sucks but it's not nearly as stupid as Rise of Skywalker.

Rey just holds up the knife at some random fucking point and that's where the maguffin is? What the fucking shit?

How the fuck did Kylo Ren get off that planet after Rey whooped his ass? She took his ship and there were no other functional ships on the planet.

Why are Lando and Chewbacca able to rally every god damn ship in the galaxy when Leia tried the same thing like a year earlier and literally nobody showed up?

The entire plot of Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope hinge on light speed calculations having to make the ships clear all stars and planets by a certain distance. But now Poe can skid across planets at light speed or some shit?

Palpatine is just suddenly back without an explanation.

Also the First Order apparently has a near-infinite number of star destroyers with death star planet destroying weapons on them. Which kind of makes the previous two movies entirely fucking pointless and makes Palpatine look like a fucking idiot for making everything hinge on one battle rather than just rolling across the galaxy at will.

Reactions: wyo

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fresh off the news of the WB/Discovery merger, Amazon is considering purchasing MGM. This would include all their movie and TV studios, the MGM and Epix TV networks and streaming service, and their media library, which includes:
Rocky and Creed film series
Robocop
James Bond film series
The Handmaid's Tale
Stargate
Fargo
Legally Blonde
Vikings
Pink Panther
Silence of the Lambs
Poltergeist
Bill and Ted
The Addams Family
Carrie
Clash of the Titans
Species
21 Jump Street
Barbershop
All Dogs Go To Heaven

Pretty small potatoes compared to the likes of WB or Disney but they're still worth almost 10 billion dollars.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Amazon officially made the offer for nine billion dollars. Probably just a matter of time at this point.

Other stuff MGM owns:
Survivor
The Voice
Shark Tank
The Hobbit trilogy (but not the LOTR)
American Gladiators
Teen Wolf
In the Heat of the Night
The Hills
The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
The Magnificient Seven
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Get Shorty
Fame
Condor

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm waiting for Episode 10 where the new hero/heroine wakes up and realizes 7-9 were just a bullshit lie bad dream and Admiral Akbar is still still alive and recognizing traps like a boss.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
What bugs me, other than the sheer shrill annoyance of it is that it's clearly forced. Or at minimum a 'nervous laugh.' It's the audible equivalent of typing 'lol' after every sentence.

I do really like RLMs stuff but to be honest, his expressionless cackle kinda makes me skip out on a lot of stuff.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What bugs me, other than the sheer shrill annoyance of it is that it's clearly forced. Or at minimum a 'nervous laugh.' It's the audible equivalent of typing 'lol' after every sentence.

I do really like RLMs stuff but to be honest, his expressionless cackle kinda makes me skip out on a lot of stuff.
Ok.... i thought it was just me, but it's one of the reasons I dont watch RLM regularly. that cackle is painful, and its a struggle to get through it. I pretty much only watch if that guy isnt in it or it's Star Trek related...

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The whole movie I am waiting for the rise of Skywalker. There are only 2 Skywalkers in the movie and neither of them rise up. Force Ghost luke walks out of a bonfire and catches a light saber. Ben Solo dies (spoiler alert). And like the whole trilogy the theme is that Kylo Ren is just confused and his parent won't give up on him, even in Rise of Skywalker that theme is there too. But at the end of the movie, Rey just sees some ghosts and tells some old lady she's a Skywalker and that's the end of it. I was expecting Hope Solo to become the good guy, join forces with Rey and together they would save the day. Instead, Ben Holdo just turns out to be a 3 film plot device.

There was some cool scenes and special effects and audio.

@M

20 Year Member
Detective Pikachu

I tried the free demo of the 3DS game when it first came out and was not impressed, bored to tears really, but the film looked cool, so, I bought it. The movie itself was okay, nothing groundbreaking. My main enjoyment came from seeing all of the different Pokémon rendered in realistic 3D and interacting with the real world. Unfortunately, they didn't model anywhere near enough different species. I got tired of seeing the same Arcanines, Charmanders, and Doduos in crowds over-and-over again. I know it's not realistically possible to do many hundreds of them for one film, but, I think they should have done at least 2-3 times as many different ones as they did. I'll never get used to Pikachu talking in a manly voice either (Ryan Reynolds does the honors here). I didn't check out the second disc with all of the bonus content yet (I'm all Pokémon'd out for one evening). 7.0/10.0 pokeballs. If you love Pokemon, it's worth a watch, if you don't, you can skip it.

@M

20 Year Member
The Charizard Pikachu cage match was pretty hot, but the out-miming Mr. Mime interrogation scene (my favorite part of the whole film) was explosive, even though the gasoline fire was completely imaginary and invisible. 😂

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Last Jedi is my most hated film of my lifetime. I fell asleep in the theater and I did concider walking out. A friend of mine did just that.

Rise of Skywalker was bad but not as disappointing. Last Jedi kinda prepared you for it. Made no sense and I like to pretend that neither movie exist.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Spiral... I never thought I'd see Samuel L Jackson playing Chris Rock's dad in a Saw movie. Once you get over the novelty value, the movie underneath is pretty standard genre fare. Rock does his best with a generic script and ridiculous plot. The predictably weak Scooby Doo ending sets up yet another sequel. I've seen worse but this was far from good.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Those Who Wish Me Dead - meh? Yeah, gonna go with meh. Fun to watch in the moment but zero plot, no characters to speak of. Gillen and Hoult almost made it worth watching, but wasting Jon Bernthal like that should be punishable by dick punch.

@M

20 Year Member
New DVDs, not afraid of ghosts, but, terrified of corporate America edition.

IMG_20210521_182051262_HDR_45.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I guarantee it isn't widescreen and unlike the Snyder cut which he made 4:3 on purpose that one M got is gonna be extreme close ups and a lot of people talking to people who have been cropped off the screen.

It's apparent he's not gonna stop buying absolute shit but he could at least have some dignity and buy absolute shit in the aspect ratio intended. Or maybe he uses the wide zoom feature on his TV so everything is extra cropped.