Most Underrated and Overrated Video Game Console

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Two consoles (tie) I feel are underrated, they are the Sega CD and Turbo Grafx 16. Both had some great games to them, but, since they were outshined by the competition, they didn't get the recoginition they deserved. Sega CD had Shining Force CD, Lunar, Snatcher, Sonic CD, Vay, Popful Mail, and even some of the FMV games were decent. T6-16 had Splatterhouse, Bonk's Adventure, and Dracula X and among others.

Most overrated system I feel was the original Xbox. The Xbox was focused too much on the FPS and multi-player action games, not enough on other genres. And I'm not really into those FPS or miltary type action games.
But, the Xbox 360 has more bigger variety of games, and has improved the original Xbox.

So, that's my 2 cents.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
It depends really, whether you mean over or underrated in the world of 1337 internet nerds or your average real life gamer.

In real life, the dreamcast is severely underrated, and I would say the original Xbox was the most goddamn overrated fucking machine ever.

Also, the average real life dude doesn't have a fucking clue what the Sega CD and the Turbo Grafx 16 are.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Most under rated console.... damn, I want to give a handheld. The Nomad. That thing was bad ass.

But under rated CONSOLE? Sheesh, I'd have to say Dreamcast. Great little system that had a lot of great features, and didn't get much chance to shine.

Over rated? Wow, I'm not sure. PS3 is at the moment, along with Wii (where the hell are the games?). For console of yesteryear, I'll go with Genesis. I know, I know, you're going to hate me. But think about how much more badas SNES was compared to it. It had less buttons (for most of its life), lesser sound, lesser graphics. Just over all weaker. And yet, people acted as if it wasn't just as good as the SNES, but better. With that said, it had some amazing games, but the power made it the under dog.

I can't think of a clear cut "over rated" one that isn't this generation. Sheesh, this gen is off to a slow start.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I want to give love to the Xbox. When that thing came out, EVERYONE shit on it. Everyone. Including me. It turned out to be a nice little system (little, lol). It had great online play, great graphics, and did quite a few genres well. FPS, RPG, sports, racing. Had a nice collection of games. For a system that everyone hated at the get go, how can anyone say it was over rated? If anything, it started under rated. And besides, it has Halo, which single handedly made the system worth owning.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Most overrated? Dreamcast. So many people still think it is the best console ever, but in reality, most 3D genres are done alot better in PS2/Xbox (rightfully so since they are more powerful). Think about all of your favorite Sega/DC games, most of them have better sequels or similar games on Xbox/PS2 with a handful of exception (VOOT, Samba and Typing of the Dead comes to mind).

Not saying it is bad, but I rarely ever turn on my DC now. In fact, if it was not for VOOT + Twinsticks, I would have sold it a long time ago (unless you collect shmups, then there is another reason to own the DC).

Most underrated.... Tough choice, I agree with Sega CD, and possibly the Jaguar. Tempest 2000 alone is worth it and maybe the Atari Lynx since no one really bought it back when it came out and it is far more advanced by at least 10 years to its competition. I mean, hardware sprite scaling that enables a near perfect port of S.T.U.N. Runner that none of the home consoles at the time can do? No fucking way.

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
Most underrated:

I would agree with the DC being underrated, people crapped all over it when it was out.. I still own two of them.:)

Most overrated, i would have to say the PS3..it was really a disappointment to me.:crying:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I'm saying the N64 and Saturn for most underrated.

The PS1 was the most overrated knowing the Saturn and N64 both had better titles during that era.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
When it came out, as far as I remember the DC was pretty popular, quite a lot of people had it. It actually took me by surprise the amount of people who ended up in lines for the ps2.

Was the Dreamcast underrated or overrated. I think it was neither. if anyting it was controversial. it was a next gen system released a year before the rest of the competitors, and I think it shocked everyone when sega went third party. it was neither overrated or underrated. it's been both to some people, i guess it depends on the way you look at it.

Overrated, I'd say right now is the PSP, call that monster a portable, fuck no.

Underrated I'd go with the Saturn awesome controller, and an awesome game (Nights), other than that i know there's a shitload of shooters in japan, that's it.

Back on the DC before SF AC released on xbox and ps2, the DC had a few games exclusives. Now, the only ones i can think of are MVC2, and Soul calibur as being 2 exclusives (when it comes to fighting games).

with HNK, XI, Melty Blood (which I think there was a rumor going around that it was gonna have a DC release), Accent Core, and a few others, I think the PS2 has more variety whne it comes to fighting games.

Outside marvel, i don't see a reason to own the DC for its fighting games. and I'm not a fan of 3d fighters (so much for SC)

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Overated? I don't like either of this "next get", it's early to call out a console now. All of the 3 do not have a "MUST HAVE" game. But the 360 has been more time so, it's a tad more overated.

Underated, i have to say Dreamcast. While there are many loyalists, and the console really has lots of overated crap (Jet Set Radio, Shen Mue) people raised the eyebrow from 9.9.99, all of the people and press were waiting for the PS2, in the biggest console hype machine ever orchestrated since the N64. Dreamcast was dead since the very beginning-

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Overrated (at least by the "hardcore"): Saturn

Underrated (by the mainstream): Dreamcast

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Underrated: Dreamcast and TG16.

Overrated: PS3 and 3DO.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
dunno about underrated, but the Saturn, at least the American Saturn, is hella overrated.

The Japanese Saturn's strongest point is it's a port machine of arcade games.
The Japanese Saturn's weakest point is it's a port machine of arcade games.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
Dreamcast definetly didn't get the love it deserved. The wii is definetly overrated.

Among portables the PSP and NGPC are underated. Gameboy is overated

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I think the 3DO, Sega CD, 32X, & Jaguar are underrated, they certainly catch a lot of undue shit. Yes, they all had their share of bad games, but all those systems have games that make them worth owning.

I'm not sure if I consider any system really overrated.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
PCE>Saturn

Underated in the u.s any ways.

Both system were mange like crap here and neither company, knew what they were doing.

Last edited:

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I will have to agree, the Wii is very overrated. Its clear in the hardware numbers its putting up and how crappy the software sales are outside of Zelda is. (wii-sports and play don't count. They are pack-ins). However, even though I like to hate on the Wii cause its is 1.5 GameCubes duct taped together from a development perspective, Mario, Metroid Prime, and Smash Bros will bring some much needed life to the system.

Most underrated. Easy, Dreamcast :p

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
recon_zero said:
overated crap (Jet Set Radio, Shen Mue)

you crazy asshole. take that back. i can agree shenmue isnt for everyone. but to call jsr crap is a disgrace. jsr is one of the greatest games of all time.

overrated in rl: wii definitely, ps2 second. 360 and ps3 too.
overrated on the internet: i dunno, i feel like its becoming cliche to say dreamcast was the best system anymore. (not that i dont love it though.)

underrated in rl: dc, saturn, etc.
underrated on the internet: sega cd (to a lesser extent 32x. tempo, cmon.)

spike, i think you need to load up an xbox with snes roms so you can see how many truly shitty snes games there are. sure theres the fucking great games from capcom and square and nintendo. but if you havent heard of it, chances are its garbage.

genesis has this problem too but not as bad. the games arent as polarized on the quality scale.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Overrated: Wii, DS, Dreamcast, Saturn

Underrated: Nintendo 64