most recent Samurai Spirits came out in 2019 already.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
D9kge32VUAAq4nq.jpeg

This from the artbook. Wouldn't get my hope high though lol. He probably just appears in the story or something.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The new Japanese demo is out, and it doesn't require PS+ and no timer this time. All you need is a Japanese account.

Awesome! Excited to give this one a go for myself and see how the fixes and improvements have turned out.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
they would make a looooot more money and gratify both fan crowds porting and localizing Samurai Shodown RPG.
would have the atmosphere and genius of the classics, with the forward thinking depth of epic RPGing.

SNK could then boast having the first fighting RPG available on modern western platforms.
they should do so before another fighting company beats them to it with a SF RPG worldwide launch.

the fan localization was dropped. SNK could outsource to a dev to do the porting and localizing like how they been doing with their NeoGeo games on modern platforms.

With SNK having so much success with the ACA re-releases and with retro-style rpg projects like Octopath Traveler finding success, you may not be wrong. If the translation costs could be mitigated (via an official kickstarter?), a port of the original neo cd version lacking the load times might indeed actually have an audience on the switch. I play bushido retsuden often and the multiple story perspectives are better handled than Octopath in my humble opinion. The switch crowd may love the game if it ever saw the light of day on the console.

The input lag has not been changed in the new demo. It will only be applied in the patch that will come with the full game.

Edit: Neo_G has left SNK. Bummer.

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1142058084925263872

That’s a bummer, but I wish him the best of luck in any future endeavors he might pursue.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
That sucks, at least he made sure the fundamentals for SS stayed intact for this new game. I wonder if he is going to join Arcsys.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I love the series but my love peaked at SS2. The releases after didn’t enchant me like the first 2. I was happy to support and give this game a shot so long as the love was returned with a cool limited edition for North America and they didn’t do shit for us. I have NEVER purchased a limited edition of any fucking game but because of my love for this series, I wanted it all. Fuck this game, I hope it falls on its own blade to never return. I will wait for aftermarket or bargain bin shit.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm not shitting on this yet. Would have preferred a real 2d Samurai Shodown with revamped art but I'll give it a go when the price drops.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I'm not shitting on this yet. Would have preferred a real 2d Samurai Shodown with revamped art but I'll give it a go when the price drops.

Only downside to waiting is you will miss out on the free DLC pack (4 characters) which is probably going to sell for $20. So if you take that into consideration, and it turns out you like the game, then you may be paying full retail price later on anyway

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
removed the ad hominems from Munchingass to his own thread about his dick eating problem. Trying to keep this on topic, whether you like what you're seeing with this SS game, or if you don't, and would prefer better.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
the 2nd demo is AMAZING! so responsive and amazing blood, and gratifying finishers with good success rate in cutting them in half or having them splash fountain of blood!
it plays better hands on than watching it!! really like the accessibleness of the inputs and stuff too. the lethal dash slash is very strong, though it can be defended, it really keeps players on their toes and heightens the atmosphere. finishing them with the super is epic too!

With SNK having so much success with the ACA re-releases and with retro-style rpg projects like Octopath Traveler finding success, you may not be wrong. If the translation costs could be mitigated (via an official kickstarter?), a port of the original neo cd version lacking the load times might indeed actually have an audience on the switch. I play bushido retsuden often and the multiple story perspectives are better handled than Octopath in my humble opinion. The switch crowd may love the game if it ever saw the light of day on the console.

wat? how about PS4? Samurai Shodown RPG would sell more on PS4. so it should be ported to both PS4 and Switch. Switch alone would not convince the millions of PS4 gamers to purchase a Switch for it. and the amount of work to port and localize the RPG, they can profit more milking it on PS4 too. they could even port the Playstation 1 version. as for costs, SNK has money, and the company that lifted them off the ground can help out. it would be worthwhile investment. a masterpiece like that would exceed expectations these days and RPGs sell more than fighting games, especially good unique ones like Samurai Shodown RPG.

and you think Neo G leaving because SS didnt get enough preorders? the timing seems rather strange.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

wat? how about PS4? Samurai Shodown RPG would sell more on PS4. so it should be ported to both PS4 and Switch. Switch alone would not convince the millions of PS4 gamers to purchase a Switch for it. and the amount of work to port and localize the RPG, they can profit more milking it on PS4 too. they could even port the Playstation 1 version. as for costs, SNK has money, and the company that lifted them off the ground can help out. it would be worthwhile investment. a masterpiece like that would exceed expectations these days and RPGs sell more than fighting games, especially good unique ones like Samurai Shodown RPG.

and you think Neo G leaving because SS didnt get enough preorders? the timing seems rather strange.

Sup saner! I’m all for multi-console releases. I pointed to the Switch in particular due to the fact that indie/retro-style games sell great to that particular user-base and the fact that Switch owners in particular have shown a great deal of support for older SNK titles already via higher sales of the ACA neogeo releases:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...than-a-million-copies-worldwide/#c3a8bcca07aa

Since the neo cd version of Bushido Retsuden is superior in terms of animations to the ps1 port, if SNK were willing to go through with the translation effort, porting the best version would probably be in their best interest imo.

The timing of the news about Neo_G is unfortunate indeed :( I’ve really been enjoying the new demo for Samurai Shodown (2019).

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
As lovely as it would be to have SS RPG ported and translated to English, it's not going to happen. The revenue they make would be minuscule at best. It's the very definition of an obscure niche title.

Adding to it, SNK didn't think too highly of it after its release in Japan. As far as I can tell from what I've read over the years, it's not a title they give any cares about.

Regarding Neo_G's departure, devs come and go in Japan frequently once titles are wrapped up, so it's not a surprise. Same for US developers. Is there more to it? Maybe, but it seems likely that he did his duty for this passion project, and either wanted to move onto something else or take a break. Time will tell.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
As lovely as it would be to have SS RPG ported and translated to English, it's not going to happen. The revenue they make would be minuscule at best. It's the very definition of an obscure niche title.

I agree, but at least this gives us a nice space to mock them. Releasing translated, no-revenue, obscure, niche titles can only mean one thing: your company is truly successful.

...and vice versa ;).

Fett

Camel Slug
Free Season pass + Physical version Question:

Supposedly, if you buy the game before the 30th the season pass is free, but what if you buy it online, and it doesn't arrive till after the 30th? I'm a cheap-skate and I usually opt for free 5-8 day shipping. I'm assuming you have to have the disc installed to be able to download it from the PS/XB store. Unless you have 2-day shipping from Amazon or something, are you fucked?

NGH-045

n00b
Free Season pass + Physical version Question:

Supposedly, if you buy the game before the 30th the season pass is free, but what if you buy it online, and it doesn't arrive till after the 30th? I'm a cheap-skate and I usually opt for free 5-8 day shipping. I'm assuming you have to have the disc installed to be able to download it from the PS/XB store. Unless you have 2-day shipping from Amazon or something, are you fucked?

Is it official that the free pass is only avaiable to the 30th? If it is free anyway shouldn't you be able to buy it from the PSN store beforehand?

saner

Krauser's Henchman

Adding to it, SNK didn't think too highly of it after its release in Japan. As far as I can tell from what I've read over the years, it's not a title they give any cares about.

they are underestimating its marketability on consoles this generation.

no one expected Octopath Traveler to win big despite its cheap graphics.

even Sega didnt expect Valkyria Chronicles to EXCEED sales expectations on PC. At least Sega TESTED the waters instead of leaving a game in the basement.

SNK should neverestimate the RPG genre. they sure overestimate their fighting series.

if even a awkward looking game like Bloodstained ROTN can get so much positive attention, a 2D masterpiece like Samurai Shodown RPG can generate a larger cult following than SNK fighters.

like, Samurai Shodown RPG on modern consoles, and localized, would open the floodgates of JRPG fans to get interested in the franchise as a whole.

and Samurai Shodown would become relevant to those that find fighting games irrelevant to them.

people play grindier and older games than that, especially on mobile! so dated graphics and turn based combat dont hold it back from reaching a good consumerbase these days.

and if some ass stain looking game like MineCraft is played by millions, then a RPG with a sense of tasteful art like Samurai Shodown RPG, can definitely grab attention and profits and praise than Cosmic Star Heroine could ever dream of.

even though it wouldnt make FFVIIR numbers, it could become a sleeper hit. SNK just gotta quit being such knuckleheads. fighting genre has its limits. RPG genre really brings forth a lot more meaning to the series world, characters, journies and battles. and possesses more intelligence beyond simply fighting.

I tell you, Samurai Shodown RPG can be the Octopath Traveler of SNK if they place faith in it and port/localize it to modern consoles.

like even Square Enix is gonna bring Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Scarlet Grace to modern consoles, knowing they are not mainstream, but they know the consumerbase these days are insatiable for more JRPGs than they were ever before.

Fett

Camel Slug
Is it official that the free pass is only avaiable to the 30th? If it is free anyway shouldn't you be able to buy it from the PSN store beforehand?

Yes. It's to encourage people to buy it on launch. If anyone could d/l the pass by the 30th I'd just do that, and wait til the game drops to $30 or less. Which is what I normally do with most games since prices drop so quickly. I hate that fighting games nickle and dime you with so much DLC characters and costumes these days. This promotion is actually pretty smart.

Last edited:

NGH-045

n00b
Yes. It's to encourage people to buy it on launch. If anyone could d/l the pass by the 30th I'd just do that, and wait til the game drops to $30 or less. Which is what I normally do with most games since prices drop so quickly. I hate that fighting games nickle and dime you with so much DLC characters and costumes these days. This promotion is actually pretty smart.
Thanks for the heads up. Let's hope my limited arrives before the 30th.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I got a copy early and the full install takes like 15 to 20 minutes. lol

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So Genjuro lost his unblockables from his projectile that he had in Vsp, but he gained juggle properties on it, and this includes the card bounce. Heres some stuff you can do from it

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I got a copy early and the full install takes like 15 to 20 minutes. lol

Snap some pix of Backgrounds of the following:
Earthquake
Shiki
Yoshitora
Dagger
Xiang

Looks like the cheapest stateside is 49.99 at wal-mart unless you still have best buys GCU, 47.99.

Last edited: