More Cave on the Smitch

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Copped Mushihimesama. Hope they do physical releases at some point.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I've only given it a shot in handheld mode, and the screen options were really dumb. I admittedly didn't spend too much time with it, but I didn't see a way to make the actual play screen fit to the height of the Switch screen, which makes zero sense to me.

Also should qualify that I've only ever dropped a few ¥100 coins into Mushihimesama in my life. This is among the Cave games that I'm least familiar with. The actual game seems to run very well, but the last time I played it on original hardware was over a decade ago.

The warning text when the game boots up is pretty funny though. They changed it to say something like, "this game is for use by people on Earth." Nice touch.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Flip grip? Like rotating the screen and holding the Switch sideways? If so, yes

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I didn't see a way to make the actual play screen fit to the height of the Switch screen, which makes zero sense to me.
You honestly expected them to totally redo the game for "widescreen vert"?

Ajax

15 Year Member
Reread what I posted

Ajax

15 Year Member
Damn, looks like it's sold out everywhere. Would love to get one though!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Damn, looks like it's sold out everywhere. Would love to get one though!
Restocks soon, per manufacturer.
Don’t pay the ePay going rate; it’s nice kit, *not* $59 nice tho!

Ajax

15 Year Member
Dropped a few more credits on this last night, and have got a few more thoughts.

I've been playing a fair amount of Battle Garegga, Esprade, and Mahou Daisaukusen on PS4 over the last month or so (Garegga for a few years here and there). The amount of care and heart put into the Shot Triggers releases is unreal. For a shooting game fan, the Shot Triggers releases are like an actual dream. The amount of customization possible is kinda overwhelming at times, but ultimately makes for the most fulfilling experience.

By contrast, this Mushihimesama release feels really bare bones, I'm sorry to say. You can rotate the screen, but I don't see a way to actually change the size of the screen. In other words, you can rotate the screen to play vertically, but the actual play screen is still the same size as it is by default. In that case, what's the point of even including that functionality? I'm still enjoying it a quite a bit, and this is far and away the most I've ever played the game, but every other STG released on modern consoles seems to have a full size vertical option (even games on PS1 and Saturn offer this), and I don't get why they didn't include that here.

Ultimately, the best way to play this particular release is on a big ass TV and a stick. I can't imagine playing this seriously in handheld mode really at all, but I guess that kinda goes without saying.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Chem, you fuckin' genius.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Does that mean you figured it out? I don't even have the game and I seem to know how these things tend to work.
A somewhat annoying trend is to have MULTIPLE screen options menus, one for basic adjustments and another menu to control all the other nitty-gritty specific things like zoom X/Y, 5 millions scanline choices, etc.

I heard these ports are based on the Steam Degica releases which are quite decent, but not on the level of M2 $30-40 widgets up the ass level.

Personally, they are probably going to have to offer more than the 360 releases to get me to bite as $20-25 a game... bleh unless I decide to support them just in hopes of a DDP, Galuda1, or better Guwange port than the 360 got.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Do these suffer the same lag issues that hurt the psikyo collections?

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
The game plays really well. Lag is supposedly 3-4 frames, which is almost on par with the xbox360 version. I don’t agree that this version is barebone, the screen options are sufficient, everything is possible, rotate, zoom, etc. and they added version 1.5 and the arranged mode as well, which are both great.

It’s surprising that this came out of nowhere and plays this well. Many of the hyped (and newer) shmups on the switch have 6-7 frames of lag, which is really too much and negatively impacts gameplay.

People say that there are some ex Cave developers working in the team that provided this port. With more to come and a great first release, this is very promising !

hopefully play asia or limited run will take care of physical editions.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
All i want is a port of DDP and if humanly possible, a port of DDP Campaign Version for Switch and other platforms...

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Espgaluda II for september in Japan

Q7WXpgN.jpg

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Now, crossing fingers for a physical version outside of Japan