MiSTer Sega CD FPGA core released today!

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
Scratch another one off the list.
Every other day something awesome comes out for this amazing piece of hardware.

The Future Is Now.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I'm interesting by MiSTer hardware, but I don't understand wich part/module is needed for begin and where buy all from Europe.

DaffyDuck

Lazy ,
Hey ,
I felt like you until I did some research and ended up building one. It's pretty easy to do. Since it's modular, you just need to decide what you need and the rest is pretty easy. The basic items needed are the De10 Nano which is the main board and then everything else stacks onto that. I went with the Nano, a 128 Meg memory board, 128 gig sd card, a noctua fan for cooling, a small 4 port USB hub and 3d printed a case off thingverse.
It can use just about any USB controller with this setup and video and audio are passed via HDMI.
If you want original system controllers you would need something called a bliss box or board I believe. I was happy to just setup and use a Saturn 2.4 wireless and be done or any of my USB fight sticks or pads.
If you want to play on crt then you would need the I/O board that would give you vga and a headphone jack I believe for audio.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Ok, DE10 Nano is not board created by MiSTer but the "mainboard/motherboard"

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
I got all my gear from misteraddons. ultimatemister sells complete MiSTer setups from Europe, for €299,90, but I think they are out of stock at the moment.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Ultimate MiSTer 128 look exactly I need. Thanks for info.

Edit: I have find this website too misterfpga.co.uk, but no DE10 and no Case.

Last edited:

DaffyDuck

Lazy ,
You can order the main board off Amazon even. Think of it like a raspberry pi. I would recommend the 128 ram so you can do everything currently out there. You just have to be careful with your case choice and with the ram chip. The ram can be orientated to run horizontal or vertical and there is one designed to not stick up too high, your choice will depend on what you are adding to the top of the main board and which case you will use.

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I will receive everything in two weeks. We can see a lot a change every day here github.com/MiSTer-devel

MiSTer support shaders or similar ?
I already have one scanline generator (SLG3000), OSSC can be usefull or useless ?

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
I will receive everything in two weeks. We can see a lot a change every day here github.com/MiSTer-devel

MiSTer support shaders or similar ?
I already have one scanline generator (SLG3000), OSSC can be usefull or useless ?

MiSTer has all kinds of shaders, LCD effects, scanlines, you name it. Just make sure your set to integer scaling if you want it to line up correctly.

OSSC is useless in combination with the MiSTer.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Finally here :)

G3CK19Bl.jpg

Now it's time to test.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
Finally here :)

G3CK19Bl.jpg

Now it's time to test.

Awesome, enjoy! Rampage and Tapper arcade cores just came out, plus the sega system 1 core recently got released, and not only that but Jotego has officially started work on the CPS1 core. Many exciting things happening in the MiSTer world every day.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
The MiSTer is probably the reason I'm thinking of selling all my stuff that sits in boxes nowadays. I mean just the convenience of this little piece of hardware kit is amazing.

The Neo Geo core runs like a dream and the Amiga core is cycle perfect.

Currently have a MiSTer with a 64mb SDRAM which I need to upgrade to 128mb to play the 5-6 games from the Neo Geo library I can't run.

This pic is from my iPhone off a Dell U2414H with scanlines.

IMG-4383.jpg

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Scanline look great.

I'm planning to replace my computer from my bartop for use MiSTer instead.
I have see for CP1. For Sega System 1 it's really a good news too, I like play Flicky and My Hero.

I haven't tested yet (busy with RPi3B+) but already happy to have it :multi_co:

dj-ad

n00b
Could you guys give me feedback with the input lag if there is any ?
I’m really tempted by this board, sounds really fantastic and the community is really active.

The downside is the price, it’s not a setup that you could build slowly, you need to buy everything at once to have it run, but this solution is still cheaper that owning all systems with linkers for every one of them

Last edited:

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Could you guys give me feedback with the inout lag if there is any ?
I’m really tempted by this board, sounds really fantastic and the community is really active.

The downside is the price, it’s not a setup that you could build slowly, you need to buy everything at once to have it run, but this solution is still cheaper that owning all systems with linkers for every one of them

The Dell U2414H is practically a zero lag monitor (4ms of input lag I believe, like 1/4th of a frame) and everything feels just right when playing. Mind you I'm using a USB pad.

dj-ad

n00b
Thank you for your input DaytimeDreamer. So the hardware does not generate lag and it’s only a matter of screen, that’s really cool ! I really thought that USB input may generate a perceptible amount of lag

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
Could you guys give me feedback with the inout lag if there is any ?

MiSTer's scaler, I believe in April 2019 it was reported to have sub 1 frame of lag, basically lagless, and its probably improved since then. If you are hooking it up to a CRT then it is 0 lag.

dj-ad

n00b
I’m only playing on CRT via RGB scart or on my PVM so it will be perfect ! Thanks guys

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Currently have a MiSTer with a 64mb SDRAM which I need to upgrade to 128mb to play the 5-6 games from the Neo Geo library I can't run.

What are those 5 games you can't run ??

I am interested in getting one these as well.

dj-ad

n00b
From the retrorgb website :

Neo Geo uses very large ROMs. About 84% of the library will fit onto a 32 megabyte SDRAM module. Another 12% will fit onto a 64 megabyte SDRAM module. The remaining 8 games require a 128 megabyte module. For more information about which games can be loaded with which sized RAM, open romsets.xml in your favorite text editor or github. The games are organized by size.

I couldn’t find yet this xml file. But there are 8 games that requires 128mb module not 5.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
From the retrorgb website :

Neo Geo uses very large ROMs. About 84% of the library will fit onto a 32 megabyte SDRAM module. Another 12% will fit onto a 64 megabyte SDRAM module. The remaining 8 games require a 128 megabyte module. For more information about which games can be loaded with which sized RAM, open romsets.xml in your favorite text editor or github. The games are organized by size.

I couldn’t find yet this xml file. But there are 8 games that requires 128mb module not 5.

Yeah I didn't remember the exact number, you are probably right. Some of them are SSVS, KOF03, Garou, SVC, Sengoku 3 and basically all the carts with the high meg count that translate to over 64mbytes of size.

neo-ced

New Challenger
I just discover this Wonderfull system. But Even after reading this thread, I could't figure out what I need to get to be able to play NEO GEO on this.
My guess :
- One terasic DE10-Nano Kit ( like this one )
- An upgrade of the SD RAM (128 to be able to play ALL the NeoGeo Games )
- One HDMI cable

Is that everything ? The DE10-Nano kit comes with a power supply ? How do you connect the NEOGEO joystick ?

I'm so lame with these "diy console systems" ... Help please :eek:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I just discover this Wonderfull system. But Even after reading this thread, I could't figure out what I need to get to be able to play NEO GEO on this.
My guess :
- One terasic DE10-Nano Kit ( like this one )
- An upgrade of the SD RAM (128 to be able to play ALL the NeoGeo Games )
- One HDMI cable

Is that everything ? The DE10-Nano kit comes with a power supply ? How do you connect the NEOGEO joystick ?

I'm so lame with these "diy console systems" ... Help please :eek:

Here.

neo-ced

New Challenger
Thanks but this doesn't help...

My main interrogations are these :
Is that everything you need to make a functional Mister FOR THE NEOGEO (the wiki you refer to is general) ? » I don't want to buy something that isn't needed or have to order a missing part...

The DE10-Nano kit comes with a power supply ? » I can't see a Power supply input on the documentation or pictures.

How do you connect the NEOGEO joystick ? » Looks like I'll have to get a USB adaptor to 15db Connnector but not sur that there is enough USB input available on the Nano10...