MiSTer FPGA stuff...one thread to rule them all from now on!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Since the forums were down when I started this...here's today's video

and of course I did our beloved console already

plus this

and that

go buy a MiSTer....they are cool or something

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I literally just ordered one of the doodads t'other day. I will definitely check these out over the weekend!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I literally just ordered one of the doodads t'other day. I will definitely check these out over the weekend!
enjoy it. Super fun board to play around with. Damn near limitless potential

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Some massive CPS2 stuff coming out today. Mister is so cool, now is a really great time to get in on it.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The C
Some massive CPS2 stuff coming out today. Mister is so cool, now is a really great time to get in on it.
the CPS stuff is awesome.

I’m going to review every CPS game at some point. 1/Dash/2/3.

the CPSII core is awesome but I have a darksoft multi sitting in my office so normally I play on that

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Good vids! Mister's the bee's knees
I'm specifically excited about the jamma stuff, seems like everyone and their mother is making a solution right now, hope you make a video on that side soon. Mistercade looks great but is kinda pricy for my cheap ass right now. There are less expensive methods of getting one running in a cabinet but it's as all-in-one as it gets

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Good vids! Mister's the bee's knees
I'm specifically excited about the jamma stuff, seems like everyone and their mother is making a solution right now, hope you make a video on that side soon. Mistercade looks great but is kinda pricy for my cheap ass right now. There are less expensive methods of getting one running in a cabinet but it's as all-in-one as it gets
Weirdly the JAMMA board will probably be the one video I don’t do lol. Mostly because I don’t need one I guess.

I mean I wholly get why it exists but you could achieve the same result with about $20 in parts and wires in a standard cab so if I did do it I’d do it on the dirt cheap.

couple of daemonbrite USB adapters that connect to the CP and a video splice and you are in business without the JAMMA adapter.

not saying it’s not a cool device. It totally is. Just not on my list of things to buy currently :)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Weirdly the JAMMA board will probably be the one video I don’t do lol. Mostly because I don’t need one I guess.

I mean I wholly get why it exists but you could achieve the same result with about $20 in parts and wires in a standard cab so if I did do it I’d do it on the dirt cheap.

couple of daemonbrite USB adapters that connect to the CP and a video splice and you are in business without the JAMMA adapter.

not saying it’s not a cool device. It totally is. Just not on my list of things to buy currently :)
Fair point. I got lucky and saw the tweet about Mistercade preorders opening a few hours after it was posted, so I got one on order. It is probably more convenient than trying to build a custom hookup. It is pricey though.

And for the price, I really wish it included a jumper or toggle to output stereo over the jamma edge for my big red. As it is now, I have to buy a separate amp to go into the auxiliary input on my JNX jamma adapter. Just more fuss to get stereo sound.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ive got my MiSTer stuff coming today. Apparently setting up cores other than Consoles can be a real pain in the ass?

I mainly want this for my cab, so I hope CPS1/2/Neo/random arcade games aren't gonna be a pain in the ass to set up. Evidently instead of putting CPS1/2 games in the Games/CPS2 folder, its gotta go somewhere else entirely.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Ive got my MiSTer stuff coming today. Apparently setting up cores other than Consoles can be a real pain in the ass?

I mainly want this for my cab, so I hope CPS1/2/Neo/random arcade games aren't gonna be a pain in the ass to set up. Evidently instead of putting CPS1/2 games in the Games/CPS2 folder, its gotta go somewhere else entirely.

Download the update-all script, it pulls down everything you need: console bios, mame roms, the works.
With the script, the arcade cores are literally ready to run as soon as it's done downloading

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
One of these days I'm going to get me one of those.

Really though, I've looked into them a little and find there is a lack of information outside of setting them up to play old game consoles. On the arcade side I still don't see a lot of info about the types of stuff I am interested in yet. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this shit because it kind of confuses me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
One of these days I'm going to get me one of those.

Really though, I've looked into them a little and find there is a lack of information outside of setting them up to play old game consoles. On the arcade side I still don't see a lot of info about the types of stuff I am interested in yet. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this shit because it kind of confuses me.
If you know how to drag and drop files in windows you should have no problem figuring out how to set this up. Plenty of YouTube tutorials. It's not as simple as the raspberry pi were you download a image file and slap it on a SD card. Requires a little more leg work but if you know how to setup a emulator on a pc or use mame, you should be fine.

That update all script is the truth.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
SO (first of all, I dont want to turn this thread into a tech support thread, but Im gonna say this):

I ran that update all script and it worked. I got some CPS1 games running, namely the Street Fighter II's and whatnot. Megaman, etc. Neo Geo doesn't work. And I cant seem to get any of the listed CPS2 games to work. Yes, I have the beta core from Jotaro or whatever. Ive installed it, but... nothing. CPS2 games lock my Mister. I lose video and it stops responding, so I have to cut the power.

Hey remember when you had a ROMs folder and it was simple... lol

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
SO (first of all, I dont want to turn this thread into a tech support thread, but Im gonna say this):

I ran that update all script and it worked. I got some CPS1 games running, namely the Street Fighter II's and whatnot. Megaman, etc. Neo Geo doesn't work. And I cant seem to get any of the listed CPS2 games to work. Yes, I have the beta core from Jotaro or whatever. Ive installed it, but... nothing. CPS2 games lock my Mister. I lose video and it stops responding, so I have to cut the power.

Hey remember when you had a ROMs folder and it was simple... lol

I'd move discussion to the other mister thread instead of this one just cause it's not about the video, but just checking, do you have the 128 RAM module?

EDIT:

Don't think we have an "official" mister thread but I'd say this is the closest:

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'd move discussion to the other mister thread instead of this one just cause it's not about the video, but just checking, do you have the 128 RAM module?
Indeed.

edit: Also - which other one? I dont wanna derail this one even more.

Attachments

• missus_sized.jpg
    missus_sized.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
If you know how to drag and drop files in windows you should have no problem figuring out how to set this up. Plenty of YouTube tutorials. It's not as simple as the raspberry pi were you download a image file and slap it on a SD card. Requires a little more leg work but if you know how to setup a emulator on a pc or use mame, you should be fine.

That update all script is the truth.

It's not so much setting up the files as it is the hardware end of it. I'm mostly interested in older arcade stuff and I've the parts for real machines still that I would like to build custom controls with. Aside from that there is some other functionality questions I just never seem to find clear answers to. As far as console gaming goes, I've not really any interest in that part of it.

Still thought I would like to get into it. I just haven't had the time to mess with such things as of late so getting started into a new gaming setup is really not a priority at the moment. However if a deal on one drops into my lap then I'll be all over it.

Ajax

15 Year Member
$tacks, it's all pretty straightforward. I agree that there isn't much great documentation out there on it, but once you're actually messing with it, it's not too bad. I'm happy to set one up for you with all the arcade junk on it and ship it out to you.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I hope they work more on the neo geo core audio more. The sound is definitely off a tad bit in certain games.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Whats the best controller to use? I dunno...I use these. Go comment and tell me I am wrong lol

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I use pads for some games (Switch Hori pad), sticks for others. If you have a decent fighting stick for Xbox360 or PS3 or newer, that should work well.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I've been using the M30 bluetooth and an HRAP that I put a Brook wireless in. Before that, I was using the Astro City 6 button pad. All of these options have been incredible.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I've been using an 8Bitdo SNES30 bluetooth controller. Been working fine so far.