(Mis-)Alignment of Metal Slug 4 MVS PCBs

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
So it seems that both of the legit MS4 carts I've come across seem to have trouble perfectly aligning, so that the top (prog?) board is seated properly with the case bottom's plastic standoffs through the PCB holes the way the bottom one does. In order for both edge connectors to protrude equally from the slotted plastic piece, they have to be aligned so that upper PCB is almost laying atop the standoffs, and thus slightly wiggly when everything is buttoned up. (Sort of hard to photo in a meaningful way, so I won't bother trying).

My guess is that this has a lot to do with the cartridge shell itself, which clearly uses a different mold (and that duller, coarser plastic) when compared to the older titles. I've opened and inspected my fair share of MVS carts so I think I know what I'm talking about, but I figured I'd verify-- is this normal/expected, or am I off-base here?

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
If "guide" = "slotted plastic piece", that's a good point which I will have to check... but from prior experience I couldve sworn the fit was a bit more "obviously bad" (like the edge connectors dont line up right at all) when that is upside down.

Also, one of the MS4s I haven't even opened yet (becaue the label was original--the other one has a piece of masking tape instead of a label so I was on red-alert boot watch for that one first)... but I can already tell the top board is sorta jiggling in that one too, while the bottom is secure... hmm.

hufford

n00b
you're absolutely right I bought a brand new kit and I was thinking the same thing, I wonder why none of the games after that are the same way.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah, the smooth outward pointing side of the guide should face away from the inside of the cart case. Just open a second cart if you don't know how the first went together. :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The shells/game were from a different company which is why the plastic and everything is different. The plastic is really soft, if you over tighten the screws just a hair it will strip the hole.

Qwerty 9999

Crazed MVS Addict
Yeah, same problem here.

And this cart is also incredibly hard to pull of on my 2 slot. Anyone else noticed that?

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The shells/game were from a different company which is why the plastic and everything is different. The plastic is really soft, if you over tighten the screws just a hair it will strip the hole.
Thankfully, the only screwdriver I could lay hands on right then was a little too big, so it tended to naturally cam out rather than overtorquing. But that's good to keep in mind for the next go-round when I have some more appropriate tools.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you use one of those thin screwdrivers for repairing glasses, you won't have to worry about overtightening it.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Glad to find a thread (an old one) about Metal Slug 4. I have realized MS4 doesn't fit right.
Having hard time to boot up w/o seeing crosshatch screen or even gave me hardware failure. :eek:
I am worried the cart may damage the slot when inserted.
Have you guys tried to modified the cart? as in to re-adjust the boards inside the shell?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Glad to find a thread (an old one) about Metal Slug 4. I have realized MS4 doesn't fit right.
Having hard time to boot up w/o seeing crosshatch screen or even gave me hardware failure. :eek:
Have you guys tried to modified the cart? as in to re-adjust the boards inside the shell?

Try shaving a bit the boards on the sides, so that they fit better.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

It's a known issue, like mentioned, just shave the sides of the board(next to the contacts) about 1.5mm on each side for both boards.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks guys
Apparently only the CHA board requires some trimming on the edges.
The PROG board fits just nice.

MS4 CHA board.jpg

PSICODROMO

Crazed MVS Addict
This happen because the board conector is to wide, only have to remove some decimes with a lime in each side, I did the same in my MS4 and now fits perfect.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
I have to take a look at my MS4 cart that came with my Neo Mini. It was seated pretty well in the 2 slot and I was able to insert/ remove it pretty easily. Wonder if the previous owner did any fixes to it.