Microsoft buying Activision blizzard for 68.7 billion

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Fuck, that’s an expensive move even for Microsoft.

Sony will be hurt from this, alot of fags still buy COD each year and almost nothing else

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Anybody else feel indifference when they fire up a game and see Activision on the screen?
Could be a decent game or it could be complete shit, Guess I'll have to play it to see.
Seems like in the 80's they had a higher quality to crap ratio, even though I don't like most of the games I recognize they're very popular with other people.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Yall are underestimating how massive this is from an industry perspective lol. This is unprecedented.

Personally, I game on PC and haven't bought an Activision game in forever so I'm somewhat indifferent, but this is absolutely the beginning of the end for traditional home console ecosystems as a concept

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Surprised Microsoft hasn't bought one of the classic Japanese developers like SEGA, Konami, Capcom, SquareEnix, or Tecmo-Koei by this point.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
this is absolutely the beginning of the end for traditional home console ecosystems as a concept
Wasn't Activision already gearing up to have all in game purchases be NFTs? I'd like to think that these companies are going to find that their customers aren't willing to put up with all their bullshit but apparently their plan is to make that the only option. I think most younger people are totally oblivious to the glaring problems in modern gaming so shit is only going to get worse at an accelerated pace. It's going to be nightmare.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'd like to think that these companies are going to find that their customers aren't willing to put up with all their bullshit

This is pretty much exactly what I said in the early to mid 2000s when DLC started popping up. Horse armor? Haha, nobody's gonna pay extra money for that stupid bullshit!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'd by a game NFT before I'll pay full retail for a digital download.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Wasn't Activision already gearing up to have all in game purchases be NFTs? I'd like to think that these companies are going to find that their customers aren't willing to put up with all their bullshit but apparently their plan is to make that the only option. I think most younger people are totally oblivious to the glaring problems in modern gaming so shit is only going to get worse at an accelerated pace. It's going to be nightmare.

I'm less pessimistic - it's going to be like Netflix, as long as your paying the subscription and the machine supports it, they don't care what you're using to play the games on. That's been their whole strategy since the beginning of this generation, "Xbox" is an ecosystem now and the machine is irrelevant.

Also NFTs won't ever be a thing adopted by the big guys, it's all a fad to attract investors. There's literally no incentive for a profitable company to implement them unless the larger market requested them (which is currently an extremely vocal but teeny minority). They'd literally be relinquishing profits and control, clearly we've never cared for digital rights before now so it's just never going to make real headway

I think I don’t care

Untitled-1.jpg

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
lol

Yeah this would've been huge news like 10 years ago.

Acti-Blizz has been a shambling corpse for a while that just makes Call of Duty games and rakes in Candy Crush money and WoW subscriptions. That's great for MS because those games still make a stupid amount of money but for people who play literally anything else, you shrug your shoulders and move on.

If nothing else, hopefully this means Bobby K gets the fucking boot and MS makes them use a few of the hundreds of IPs they've just been squatting on for years. However, I suspect more likely they'll just trim the studios down to a bare minimum, keep churning out CoD games every year and let Blizz wither and die on the vine (more trouble than they're worth at this point).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If Microsoft can reinvigorate lagging franchises of Activision-Blizzard then that’d be great.

Stop yearly CoD iterations, please. For fucks sake.

Hopefully Diablo IV won’t suck but I doubt the acquisition will affect existing games in development so close(ish) to release.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Stop yearly CoD iterations, please. For fucks sake.
For real. Shit like COD, Sports games etc. should all just be a base game with regular updates/expansions. Having them still be individual games is silly at this point. I don't know why more companies don't do this, it makes sense from a development and financial stand point.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's only a matter of time before the big players gobble up and "consolidate" most of the major developers. I'm not sure if Sony has the resources MS has, and not sure where this will eventually leave Nintendo.