Metal Slug Boom

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
In february we had Metal Slug on steam;
Last month we had Metal Slug on IOS/Android
This month we had Metal Slug on Humble Bundle

The official Metal Slug page on facebook jumped from 3.000 likes to almost 25.000 likes in the past months.

The franchise is getting some attention.
Are you guys expecting something big related to the series ?
Are there any rumors surrounding Metal Slug ?

The E3 is next week, can we expect something big about Metal Slug ?

Big Third-Party Xbox One Exclusive

A reliable source has confirmed that Microsoft is going to have at least one "big" third-party exclusive reveal during their stage show. We don't know the exact game, but our source said the game is both something "unexpected" and "something people will be really excited about."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-rumors/1100-6419935/

What do you guys think ?

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
The metal slug on steam was a travesty. Horrible ass port and seems like cash grabs for the most part. Doubt anything decent is in the works.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
New Metal Slug games have degenerated into pale/shallow cash grabs, solely based on the rep of the classic franchise. :oh_no:

Even the ports in the past 5 years have failed to recapture the classic feel/magic. Things like the removal of slowdown because superior hardware is executing the code might seem like a good idea on paper (or even have gone totally unnoticed somehow?) but destroy the feel and gameplay mechanics. :scratch:

Also, well not directly related to it being a port, however still a modern problem... LCD screens! Bright quick flashes from many onscreen explosions just don't strobe the same @60hz, and of course once amazing pure pixel art is muddied into blurry over saturated blobs of color hard to appreciate. :crying:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
SNKP won't make money only appealing to people with Neo cabs and/or devices with CRTs. Welcome to the 21st century.

Purists still will always have that option. Those who aren't won't know any better anyways. If it'll get them on board to enjoy some SNK classic games, I'm all for it even if they're not exact replicas of what you experience on real Neo hardware.

Also I'm loving Metal Slug Defense. At first it seemed like a shallow cash grab, but I've had a ton of fun with the game without paying a single dime. They actually did really good on that one.

To the original question, no Microsoft isn't going to announce anything Metal Slug related at E3 as "their big surprise". SNKP doesn't have that kind of traction or recognition in the game market to justify any of their games being that kind of big announcement.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
coming soon....Metal Slug Candy Crush

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Only if Boom means "going up in smokes".

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'm a little surprised there was no Arcade version of Metal Slug 7 or XX. Is the series not very popular in Japan?

I highly doubt we will see anything major for the series. I'm still hopeful for Metal Slug 8 however.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
New Metal Slug games have degenerated into pale/shallow cash grabs, solely based on the rep of the classic franchise. :oh_no:

Even the ports in the past 5 years have failed to recapture the classic feel/magic. Things like the removal of slowdown because superior hardware is executing the code might seem like a good idea on paper (or even have gone totally unnoticed somehow?) but destroy the feel and gameplay mechanics. :scratch:

Also, well not directly related to it being a port, however still a modern problem... LCD screens! Bright quick flashes from many onscreen explosions just don't strobe the same @60hz, and of course once amazing pure pixel art is muddied into blurry over saturated blobs of color hard to appreciate. :crying:
That's what I thought about Metal Slug 6. The background graphics were too smooth. They should have kept the graphics the same as the Neo games, low res and hand drawn. Or if they do switch to high res, it has to be done right (which is unlikely).

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
funny you mention that, there's a MS pachinko machine for sale here locally and pretty much going to sit there lol.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The last time snk was at e3 was in 2010... I doubt this they will be at e3 this year.

Last edited:

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Big Third-Party Xbox One Exclusive

A reliable source has confirmed that Microsoft is going to have at least one "big" third-party exclusive reveal during their stage show. We don't know the exact game, but our source said the game is both something "unexpected" and "something people will be really excited about."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-.../1100-6419935/

This might be capcom vs snk 3... It would make sense...

Capcom IS a big 3rd party and it said "people will be really excited about", people have been wanting this game for years now. I dunno wishful thinking.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I'd love that as much as anyone, but very wishful thinking.

I'd be shocked if it was anything arcade related.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
There is also this p.o.s. Edit: just saw the thread dedicated to it.

sy2yhypy.jpg

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
If I had a smart phone I'd try it. The dedicated thread sounds promising...

Fygee

20 Year Member

Did you actually try to play it? It's a surprisingly great game and can be enjoyed without doing one single microtransaction purchase.

The problem is company politics! There focus is on super graphics and getting the game finished as fast as possible not realizing the origins of what made the game so great to begin with!

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
If there was a Capcom VS SNK 3 it would most certainly be as bad as MvC3 - I'm not sure if I want to see that...