Metal Slug 5 MVS Corrupt Graphics

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Hi all,

I have this MS5 cart that is showing garbled graphics (see screenshot here: http://imgur.com/a/58YCV). The sound works fine, and you can see the attract mode running, but everything on screen is a jumbled mess.

When accessing the unibios with this cart active in my 4 slot, the unibios screen is garbled as well.

Does this look like an issue with the C roms, or possibly a bum NEO-CMC chip?

Thanks

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
AFAIK the decryption chip on the CHA board is more likely to fail than the ROMS themselves, so it seems to me the problem lies there. I do not think it is fixable, except by replacing the chip (from another MS5 cart). You can always get the rom chips out and dump them, comparing to the MAME set, it may be a broken rom, but then you will have a problem replacing it since AFAIk there are no 64Mbit EPROMs, which would be required to replace the C roms on MS5.

Regards.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The CMC just needs to be replaced with another 90G06CF7050. These cmc's can be found on the CHA board of a KOF 2001 or 2000 you can come across cheap.
I also have a good CHA board of the game that I'd probably be willing to part with.
BB

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
AFAIK the decryption chip on the CHA board is more likely to fail than the ROMS themselves, so it seems to me the problem lies there. I do not think it is fixable, except by replacing the chip (from another MS5 cart). You can always get the rom chips out and dump them, comparing to the MAME set, it may be a broken rom, but then you will have a problem replacing it since AFAIk there are no 64Mbit EPROMs, which would be required to replace the C roms on MS5.

Regards.

Thanks, I guess it couldn't hurt to check the c roms if I'm in the middle of a board transplant anyhow.

The CMC just needs to be replaced with another 90G06CF7050. These cmc's can be found on the CHA board of a KOF 2001 or 2000 you can come across cheap.
I also have a good CHA board of the game that I'd probably be willing to part with.
BB

Good to know about the CMC #. I was about to do a board swap with a KOF99 as I saw they use the same boards, but it sounds like that won't cut it. Sending PM about your spare CHA board.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thanks, I guess it couldn't hurt to check the c roms if I'm in the middle of a board transplant anyhow.

Good to know about the CMC #. I was about to do a board swap with a KOF99 as I saw they use the same boards, but it sounds like that won't cut it. Sending PM about your spare CHA board.

I always thought the decryption chip was programmed to be game-specific, so that even if another game uses the same decryption chip, the program inside is different and it would not work. Go figure, you learn something new every day.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The personality decryption chips are on the PROG boards.
BB
I always thought the decryption chip was programmed to be game-specific, so that even if another game uses the same decryption chip, the program inside is different and it would not work. Go figure, you learn something new every day.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does your cart require more force than other carts to insert it?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Does your cart require more force than other carts to insert it?

Not that I've noticed. The guy I got it from said it was working for a while, then stopped working, so I don't think it's an issue of the pcb size.

Anyways I'm in the middle of a CHA board swap from a kof2000, will report back this weekend if it's successful or not.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not that I've noticed. The guy I got it from said it was working for a while, then stopped working, so I don't think it's an issue of the pcb size.

Anyways I'm in the middle of a CHA board swap from a kof2000, will report back this weekend if it's successful or not.

I would first check the CMC itself for any lifted legs or a crack in the chip.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I would first check the CMC itself for any lifted legs or a crack in the chip.

Did a visual inspection and can't see anything out of the ordinary. Is that common for the chip to crack? Are we talking small hairline crack, or a decently visible crack?

I'd already removed the roms from the board, so decided to just finish the transplant. Put the roms onto a CHA board from a KoF200 and the graphics work properly again, so this story has a happy ending.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did a visual inspection and can't see anything out of the ordinary. Is that common for the chip to crack? Are we talking small hairline crack, or a decently visible crack?

I'd already removed the roms from the board, so decided to just finish the transplant. Put the roms onto a CHA board from a KoF200 and the graphics work properly again, so this story has a happy ending.

Thanks for the help everyone!

It ranges to a faint line in the middle to a crack to a full meltdown.

MVS008.jpg

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
It ranges to a faint line in the middle to a crack to a full meltdown.

Haha yeah, mine definitely didn't look like that!

But seriously how does that happen? I'd hate to open up an SSVS one day and see it looking like that.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I KNOW..I KNOW <SIGH>
That was a NITD cart and every chip on both boards were/are DEAD
I won the eBay auction from what I believed to be a pretty well known collector from Australia who sold it AS-IS about two years ago?? I recall that his vast/rare collection was destroyed/decimated by a large FLOOD in his area at the time(correct me if I'm wrong)....and whatever he could salvage from the collection,he sold it off.
Anyway, the casing was in very good condition with label intact which I eventually sold off to cut my losses and the dead chips are lying around here somewhere.The PROG board was/is fine and I believe I tossed the damaged board in the garbage.
Here is a photo of the shell NITD cartridge shell
THe CHA board up close and personalNITD burnt chips side
The rear side of the CHA NITD burnt solder side
Interested too. Nightmare in the dark it was, right?

Last edited: