Metal Slug 3 on Steam in Feb

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250180

About the Game
“METAL SLUG 3”, the masterpiece in SNK’s emblematic 2D run & gun action shooting game series, still continues to fascinate millions of fans worldwide to this day for its intricate dot-pixel graphics, and simple and intuitive game controls! The most highly praised title in the series among Metal Slug fans for its refined balance and game volume, heads out to the Steam gaming platform!
MAIN FEATURES
・ARCADE MODE (MAIN MISSION):
Play the arcade version of “METAL SLUG 3” from the beginning, and explore 5 immense challenging stages featuring multiple branching paths to explore exciting new areas! Make your way through the deluge of fire and fight off gigantic boss characters!

・MISSION MODE (STAGE SELECT):
Play your favorite stages at will and train alone or with a brother-in-arms on the missions you have unlocked so far!

・ONLINE MISSION (ONLINE MULTIPLAYER):
Connect to Steam and clear missions with friends far away via Online Co-Op Play.
Find a fellow countryman or foreign ally and let the mission begin!

・SETTINGS:
Configure display, control, and language settings.

・GALLERY:
View original illustrations of the game that you've unlocked.

・LEADERBOARDS
Check your current rank and score in “METAL SLUG 3” at any time,
and compete with other players to become the world's No. 1 soldier!

If they start porting over other games this could be interesting to say the least.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I wonder if they are putting one of the home ports up or emulating the arcade version?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Based on the screenshots im not even sure to be honest, they don't look like aes/mvs.
The online component is the most interesting though because if they could eventually bring the netcode they had for Kof13 to other games it would be pretty cool.

Oniros

n00b
I'm really liking this trend of SNK embracing Steam all of a sudden. Please give us Garou and/or Pulstar next please.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Pointless releasing this for the PC audience. Any Steam user worth their salt will know how to MAME it.

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
Video from the closed beta. Ported by DotEmu. They changed up the character select screen. Looks to be an iPhone port?

ss_95d3db45bc5b3ae410bd82ed53ca60c0a715a5c4.1920x1  080.jpg

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Pointless releasing this for the PC audience. Any Steam user worth their salt will know how to MAME it.

Does MAME have a built in netcode or a platform to allow for multiplayer? I would think that's the big selling point honestly.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Hmmm I am not so sure on this if it is a Iphone port. If the multiplayer works well and its decently priced might snag it.

Does MAME have a built in netcode or a platform to allow for multiplayer? I would think that's the big selling point honestly.

MAME it self does not support multiplayer natively You would need a Kaillera server or MAMEhub. If you wanted native multiplayer emulator go with WinKawaks. If you are going to emulate anything Neo Geo, Metal Slug or Capcom stuff Kawaks is the #1 and best choice to go especially over MAME because of the features it has. I have used Winkawaks extensively and is mega easy to set up and just run ROM games without any complaints unlike MAME always bitching about being bad or wrong ROM dump because its not compiled for the version of MAME your using. MAME can be such a PITA.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah I've not tried the kaillera server but I have to think that it would pale in comparison to the online steam application. Then again I've only played some KoF13 on there but it felt great in the latency department.
The thing is with the NEO, there are a ton of fighters and unless you have people over playing against the CPU gets old. If they could somehow bring some fighters over, emulate it accurately, and implement the online portion this would be welcomed by a good amount of people.

Hmmm I am not so sure on this if it is a Iphone port. If the multiplayer works well and its decently priced might snag it.

MAME it self does not support multiplayer natively You would need a Kaillera server or MAMEhub. If you wanted native multiplayer emulator go with WinKawaks. If you are going to emulate anything Neo Geo, Metal Slug or Capcom stuff Kawaks is the #1 and best choice to go especially over MAME because of the features it has. I have used Winkawaks extensively and is mega easy to set up and just run ROM games without any complaints unlike MAME always bitching about being bad or wrong ROM dump because its not compiled for the version of MAME your using. MAME can be such a PITA.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
There is a somewhat decent amount of servers up on Winkawaks for the Neo fighters, however you are correct the latency is huge depending on where and what server you join for it pretty much making it extremely difficult to play fighting games competitively. If we could get a emulated modern online fighter experience I am with you that a lot of people would jump aboard that train.

Just because people use a PC doesn't mean they mess with MAME. A lot of people don't want the bother.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I could see people getting this for play with their Steam friends and achievements, if the price is right.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Anyone hear about pricing yet? This shouldn't cost too much since it isn't a remastered HD port

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I got a beta... i streamed yesterday... i'm gonna try to stream daily around 1PM-2PM or so.... (pacific time)...