Metal slug 3 freezing

white castle

1.21 Gigawatts!, It's hard to get up to 88mph on t
15 Year Member
Metal slug 3 freezes in my dedicated 6 slot. All my other games play fine on the board, and ms3 doesn't freeze on any of my 1 slot boards.
In the cab right now is:

bust a move(boot)
last resort
svc chaos
samurai shodown 5
kof 2k3
metal slug 3

I have the cab in a little hot dog shop to make back some of the money i have spent on neo stuff. I would like to keep metal slug 3 in there so if anyone has any ideas please help.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Most likely it's a cart compatibility issue..In other words MS3 doesn't get along with another cart.(I have this happen oh so many times)
Try moving the carts around into different slots and see if it still freezes.(same carts,line then up different)
Other: Remove cart by cart leaving MS3 in..and see if it still freezes with the removed cart out.
Say take out kof 2k3 and see what happens etc..

Is it a for sure legit MS3?

bust a move(boot) can cause problems.

Could be dirty cart connectors,dirty board connectors.

You could try to clear the Backup Ram Memory-but you'll have to reset your settings,coins etc.

white castle

15 Year Member
MS3 is legit. I have tried moving it around to other slots and it still froze. last time i had ms3 in all the games were different except bust a move and it still froze.
BaM makes more money than all the other games combined so i dont want to take it out, but i will try to see if that is the problem.
I didn't think it would be another game causing the problem. It doesnt freeze right away. it freezes a little way into the first level.
I know it isnt a dirty cart/connector problem. I clean my carts well, and i put the board through the dishwasher before putting it in the cab.
I want to try anything possible before resetting the backup ram. I already thought that might help, but i wanted to figure out any other possible causes before resorting to that.
I will let you know how it goes. thanks

white castle

15 Year Member
68HC000 said:

That is how i clean pcbs. I have a few pcbs that I have bought on ebay listed as non-working that worked after a cycle through the dishwasher.
It is safe, you just have to make sure it is completely dry before using it again.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
white castle said:
That is how i clean pcbs. I have a few pcbs that I have bought on ebay listed as non-working that worked after a cycle through the dishwasher.
It is safe, you just have to make sure it is completely dry before using it again.

How is that safe?

Capacitors hold a charge, and MVS boards have backup batteries that keep the SRAM charged even when the board is turned off. Not to mention the water eventually causing corrosion on some of the contacts on the PCB...

white castle

15 Year Member
Well, it has worked for me many many times. I even use jeydry and run it through 2 heated drying cycles. i never had a board break from it. they just get really clean. The first few times i did it i removed the backup batterys from the pcbs, but now i just leave them on and i have had no problems.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Does the game actually freeze (totally lockup with correct picture on screen) or freeze and then reset itsself?

Its possible it could be a backupRAM problem but to test it I would advise putting all hardDIPs in the on position and power on the unit. This will force a workRAM/backupRAM test and report errors but of course you will loose all your game settings/highscores. It could be an idea to go into the softdips and write all your settings down (including the cabinet softdips) before you do such a test.

Raz

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Razoola said:
Does the game actually freeze (totally lockup with correct picture on screen) or freeze and then reset itsself?

Its possible it could be a backupRAM problem but to test it I would advise putting all hardDIPs in the on position and power on the unit. This will force a workRAM/backupRAM test and report errors but of course you will loose all your game settings/highscores. It could be an idea to go into the softdips and write all your settings down (including the cabinet softdips) before you do such a test.

Raz

For me: Metal Slug X was freezing/totally lockup with correct picture on screen midway through the first level..(I had never seen this before)..It just says stuck,never resets.

Cleaning the carts contacts/the deep way I do it(as they looked clean already) fixed the problem..
My Son and Nephew then played the game to the end..

MVS Candy Cab.4 slot Uni Bios V.1.2

white castle

15 Year Member
Razoola said:

it locks up the same way it would if dip 8 was turned on during play. the background keeps moving, but the game is locked up.