Metal Slug 2 vs Metal Slug X

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Not if it's with 2 players - things just don't flow.
what's the slowdown like on Metal Slug 2 with 2 players- is it even worse?
people forget that you can overclock the Neo- that would even things up between MS2 and MSX.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I'm always totally in the minority on this but what the hell. Slug X is my favorite Metal Slug game. I remember when it came out SNK kind of hyped it up as a "fixed" Slug 2. I was at University of Florida at the time in college, and I remember playing a lot of Metal Slug 2 in the arcade on Campus. I preordered Slug X from NCS (COD by the way, anyone remember those days? A UPS guy knocked on my door one day and I had a money order for like $293 ready for him). Anyhow, the game came and I really got a very clear view of what SNK was trying to do. To me it just played better all around, it was so playable from start to finish even with 2 player simul. The slowdown was a million times better.

And…. I don't know if this is the case with Slug 2 or not.
But there is a TON of awesome debug stuff in Slug X if you poke around long enough!

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I prefer X myself. Definitely my fave Metal Slug game. I like the pacing a little better than 2, and I prefer the recolored stages and boss placement.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Jesus Metal SlugX2.jpg

JESUS DIED FOR THE SINS OF SLUG 2.

Now thats kind of a surprise for me, to see someone rank MS3 that far back (especially after 4). Definitely a first.

It's now fashionable to hate Metal Slug 3. Slug 4 is a fucking abortion.

Last edited:

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
View attachment 10843

JESUS DIED FOR THE SINS OF SLUG 2.

It's now fashionable to hate Metal Slug 3. Slug 4 is a fucking abortion.

Damn, that's harsh. Since I'm new to the NEO, can someone enlighten me as to why 4 is so reviled?

I've played it a bunch, and while I get that it's re-using a lot of sprites and art assets, I still found it enjoyable. Why all the hate?

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
2's slowdown makes 1cc'in easier but all in all X is a better slug.

X>3>2>1>5>Cyber lip>4

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
Damn, that's harsh. Since I'm new to the NEO, can someone enlighten me as to why 4 is so reviled?

I've played it a bunch, and while I get that it's re-using a lot of sprites and art assets, I still found it enjoyable. Why all the hate?

Because it was made outside of 'SNK' at the time. The characters are shit, the game feels crappy and overall sucks monkey cock compared to the rest IMO