Metal Slug 1 & 2 Developer Interviews

blackoak

n00b
hey guys,

following in the steps of that Blazing Star interview last month, I thought y'all might be interested in the Metal Slug developer interviews I just did:

http://shmuplations.com/metalslug

Lots of translated concept art too. I got most of this from Neo Geo Freak uploads at neogeoforlife. He's missing a lot of them though--anyone have a larger collection and would like to create some scans for me of interviews/concept art for future translation?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
That was a great read. Translated concept art is always a plus. Thank you.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Awesome read.

I didn't know much of anything about Metal Slug lore so this was really interesting.

Thanks for posting

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I love that the designers went so far as to include blueprints for the insides of the UFOs, along with technical specs for the guns they shoot.

powerflower

Banned
Yep, the dedication these guys put in their games is mindblowing. No wonder every single frame of MS is pure art.

Only thing I complain, as the series progresses the BG destruction reduces :( MS1 rules.

Check out "In The Hunt" by Irem. Same designers oh and Gun ForceII as well ;)

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I love me some concept art. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Nazca said:
We had many ideas for the vehicles, from serious ones to jokes. One that stuck around to the very end and almost made it in was the “Desk Slug.” We planned to use in a stage that took place inside an office building, but when the stage itself got nixed, so too did the “Desk Slug.” We also had an idea for a humongous vehicle that would take up the entire screen, the “Dino Slug.”

I would have love this. :multi_co:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Got excited over a "new" Metal Slug, then realized these were interviews from the 90's. Thanks for translating them, pretty good read.

blackoak

n00b
thanks guys, glad you enjoyed that Metal Slug interview. I'll have more Neo Geo stuff in the coming months and will be sure to let you know about anything notable. I actually just updated the list of materials I have for patrons to vote on at http://shmuplations.com/patreonlist with other interviews from Neo Geo Freak magazine (sort by [!new!]). Again, if anyone has issues other than the ones uploaded at neogeoforlife, please contact me. Unfortunately Neo Geo Freak is light on developer interviews and *very* heavy on voice actor stuff, so it's not the greatest resource, but it's better than nothing! And there's usually cool concept art.

I'll be back in a few months to do a special voting thing for this forum, as I did at hg101 and vgmdb these last couple months, so hopefully some of the outstanding Neo Geo stuff can get knocked off the list. ;)

Last edited:

MadAsgardian

Rugal's Thug
Really cool, thanks for doing these.

Love all the minute attention to detail, like the back story of the Hadouken prisoner.

Acromite53

n00b
That was really interesting. An office building stage sounds like it would have been a cool setting. Too bad it didn't make the cut along with the desk slug.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Thanks for sharing! That was an interesting read :)