"Memory Card Error" Screen on NeoGeo MV1a

a4ndr3c

n00b
Hi all! (First thread by me here!) Hope this is not a duplicate and if it please link it to me.

One of my MVS NeoGeos (Mv1a) is stuck with "Memory Card Error" screen without any card.
It started acting strange with Metal Slug 5 sometimes displaying this message after a reset:
https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Slot_check_security`

Then started to show the memory card message and it's like that since yesterday.

Looking at the MVS scans page and NeoGeodev chips, my board has an NEO-D0 chip which has Memory card bankswitching as description.

Should I start checking continuity on this chip or I'm pointing on the wrong direction?

Thank you

a4ndr3c

n00b
After some investigation, waiting for a Unibios 3.3 to arrive, and with the help of GadgetUK164 on twitter and neoDev on discord, GA7 or GA8 or booth NeoBufs are faulty.

On Unibios resuming the MemTest Fail leads to perfect gameplay but without Start and Coin buttons working on P1. P2 coin works but not start, so I'm assuming GA7 is also faulty.

Now is time to wait to Furrtek NeoBufs replacements! I'll keep this repair thread updated on new news.

a4ndr3c

n00b
It was indeed the NeoBuf GA8 and GA7. After swamping the NeoBuf on GA8 everything works, no memcard message and all controls work fine P1 and P2. Case closed :)