Mega Man The Wily Wars North American Physical Release Available For Pre-Order!!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
So Retrobit and LRG partnered to release Mega Man The Wily Wars as a physical release for Megadrive/Genesis. Not only is the game's speed fixed but it comes with an unreal amount of extras and its only 69.99 USD! Check it out I know a couple of the lads here are gonna want to scoop it! My awesome GF pre-ordered it for me before I could even try to lol. Pre-orders are open until July 25th and it's supposed to ship in September.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I think someone else got this but was selling it at $86, lol.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I beat it years ago and it played alright on the repro I got for $20.

Great game, I prefer the 16 bit makeover to the nes games honestly but I'm all about that Genesis does.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh boy stickers, lenticular cards and a ugly ass folded up double sided poster! Just what I always wanted.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
The artstyle looks kinda garbage along with shitty fart renditions of awesome mega man powah. And this is coming from someone who likes a lot of genesis music.

Also because it is genesis you can't button mash on here the mega buster like the nes version. This makes killing enemies slower and the game a lot harder. The same thing happens on Final Fight CD where you can't mash punch to do the infinite as fast as other versions/arcade.

Just do yourself a favor and play the nes versions.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's a bit more than a repro. Since it has never been released in the US as a physcical game and it has been licensed by Capcom It's more of a legit game. Plus they actually put in the effort of fixing the gameplay speed and a couple other small issues. Maybe I'm just a Mega Man ultra nerd and I'm biased. I've beaten it before and I'm still looking forward to getting it. I also really like the reversible cover art. And honestly for what it is I feel the price is more than fair. I can understand if this release is not everybody's cup of tea. But I'm still hype. And the fact that my gf pre-ordered it for me, and knows me that well makes it even cooler.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It is a licensed Mega Man game but an unlicensed Sega Genesis game.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
True but you no longer need a license for Sega Genesis Games. Sega doesn't even assign licenses for that system any longer so it would be impossible to get one.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
It's a bit more than a repro. Since it has never been released in the US as a physcical game and it has been licensed by Capcom It's more of a legit game. Plus they actually put in the effort of fixing the gameplay speed and a couple other small issues. Maybe I'm just a Mega Man ultra nerd and I'm biased. I've beaten it before and I'm still looking forward to getting it. I also really like the reversible cover art. And honestly for what it is I feel the price is more than fair. I can understand if this release is not everybody's cup of tea. But I'm still hype. And the fact that my gf pre-ordered it for me, and knows me that well makes it even cooler.

They tweaked the games' speed!? I wasn't aware of that? Did some digging - looks like Retrobit released a short video yesterday showing the speed-up over the NTSC-J original. I already had it pre-ordered (I'm a huge Mega Man nut), so this is icing on the cake. I knew they were making "some" improvements, but I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. While this isn't a drastic difference, it is nice that they're taking the time to tweak what is in their power to do without ruining the integrity of the game.

I agree with ChuChu - this collection does not replace the NES originals and I will always recommend playing the originals to this. At the same time, I've always found this collection to be a nice curio to the classic series for die-hard fans looking for a slightly different challenge/remix of the base experience.

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I used to own the Rockman Mega World cart. IIRC, you can't use the select pause trick to kill some of the bosses on Rockman 1. Kind of annoying. Also, you can only play the more difficult version of Rockman 2, as there is no difficulty setting on the title screen.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the game while I owned it. Basically a Super Mario All-Star's version of the first 3 Megaman games with the Wily Tower extra level when you beat the 3 games. I enjoyed the music, too. Spent hours just in sound test just to hear the great remixes.

I'm probably passing on this but, just wanted to share those differences not mentioned.

Jon

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I wish they fixed how many shots could be fired when mashing. It makes the games significantly harder (and not in a good way) when you can't button mash mega buster to wreck enemies. It seems it has too much hitstun.

If you don't believe me go fire up mega man 2 on the nes and rapid fire a regular enemy. It will get destroyed fast. On Wily Wars due to either a programming glitch/hitstun or limitation of how fast you can mash on genesis it will takes 2-3x the amount of shots.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I wish they fixed how many shots could be fired when mashing. It makes the games significantly harder (and not in a good way) when you can't button mash mega buster to wreck enemies. It seems it has too much hitstun.

If you don't believe me go fire up mega man 2 on the nes and rapid fire a regular enemy. It will get destroyed fast. On Wily Wars due to either a programming glitch/hitstun or limitation of how fast you can mash on genesis it will takes 2-3x the amount of shots.
Yeah, I've always been annoyed at this as well. It seems like the hurtbox on the enemy sprite disappears for one frame for every shot that connects, so only every other shot does damage in a rapid fire scenario. It's quite weird. It would be nice if the team at Retrobit could tidy this up as well and make every hit count as they should. It makes Metal Man much harder if you begin your MM2 run with him (like I do) among other areas in the three games.